Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assignment 2 Critiques

Default Re: Assignment 2 Critiques

"Remember the goal is not to overlay two textures, but to use two smaller textures to occupy a larger space" <-- Hmm, didn't know that! :o

Start: http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p02b4th3.jpg

Single tile: http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?i...02ftr3tkg2.jpg

Tiled x16: http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p023tty8.jpg

...and I don't know why it's leaving those tiny seams on the sides. I offset it a million times in different ways, and PS just wouldn't snap the tiles perfectly snug together on the top and bottom edges, maybe the other sides too. :\

There is my starting picture:
    http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=t2beginnn9.jpg

And that's the final result:
    http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=t2finalgr2.jpg

Now I am wating for critique

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

Alright, I took a shot at it, here we go:

The Beginning:

The Result:

Hattori: That's actually a really interesting composite. You've completely changed the real-world scale of the images relative to each other, to create some sort of volcanic rock and sand. The blending can be a bit better, but given how early we are, it would take some skills I haven't taught yet. Overall, really cool!

gladiatort: Sand is an easy one You did a pretty good job, just working on Image Adjustments to get the sand colors and values to match. Also, the final image looks like it was just colorized? Generally, you don't want to do that, since real materials have a whole slew of colors in the highlights and shadows that make them look alive and interesting. Colorize just washes them out. What you can try doing, is make a new layer, put it on Color blending mode, and then paint in your yellow color, and some reds, etc., to vary. Or, take a photo of sand, and use the entire thing as a Color layer. But ideally, you don't want to use Colorize as the color of a texture.

Cranky Tulip: Try working on getting the image adjustments to make the layers look more similar. As for the white line, try selecting all (CTRL+A), and then Crop. If its still there, it is probably from when you cropped, and then resized (the interpolation of the pixel sat the edges made them somewhat trasparent). Create a new layer under your texture, fill it with a greyish color. Then duplicate your texture a few times, then merge it all together.

Jurand: I thought I critted something like this earlier... had deja vu or something. Near the edges of the texture, use a hard edged brush to mask away the softer areas that are interfering with the clarity of your texture (right across the middle, especially). As for the bottom, you need to make the color match the rest of the texture. Try selecting that part of the original texture, putting it on a new layer, and do some Image Adjustments on it to make it match up. Also, the whole texture needs to tile, it currently doesn't (the offset filter and stuff like that). It may be really difficult to get that texture to tile, but try it out.

Mangerman: Its overall a good job, though I can see the shape of the clone brush in various places. Anyway, see my note below.

The next tutorial will be out tommorrow night. Originally, I had intended to do one going from diffuse photosourced textures to normal and specular maps, but I will be doing some more work with the textures you've done for Assignment 1. I am going to go over how to take your tiling original plain texture and make it dirty, decaled, and more intersting. I'll also be covering Photoshop's brushes, because they will be very important for getting rid of the "Clone Brush Symptom" lots of you are dealing with.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

LorDBulA's Avatar Biarchus

This is my work. I cant say I am please with it but hay practice makes perferct.

Texture1:
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7...size2plws0.jpg

Texture2:
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6...lsizeplys9.jpg

Result:
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6...nalcopyxe3.jpg

When I resize it to 320 and put it on my desktop I can clearly see white vertical connections betwean elements.
    Could something be done to current texture to get rid of it or is it not fixable on this stage of work?

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Here is mine...I must say not the greatest, but not too terribly bad for a Gimp user however I want to improve it, so im going to contniue working on this one (maybe restarting it and trying different things). I did get more in tune with more of the Gimp tools and how to work the layers, I think thats the best that came out of it (not this image )

Original 2 textures:

Final:

Umm, imageshack is not even loading for me...once I get the pics uploaded I will post them right here....
    Last edited by Hader; July 01, 2007 at 03:27 PM.

Steistas's Avatar Tiro

1st texture

2nd texture

Finished texture

By the look on to the other jobs here, I've chosen not the best textures to work with, but still interesting to hear comments.
    Member of B.A.L.T.S.

Don't overthink...

LordBula: No crits, its a good job all around. The only minor thing I'd say is, there are some little fibers or something right at the center that were part of an original photo, just fix these with a clone brush or something, you wouldn't want to leave stuff like that. As for the white line, read my crit for CrankyTulip.

Hader: Well, I'm not sure what happened here... the Adjustments need to be better to match up the images properly. Also, I can see clone brush on the mid-left side. And why did you blow out the right side of the image? I'm not really sure what you were going for.

Steistas: Its not a bad job, considering the textures are fairly different. I would have tried copying the bumpy texture so it covered the entire texture to work with; right now, the bottom is void of it, and it looks sort of strange. I also would have duplicated the layer and overlayed or multiplied or something the 'marble' layer, and put the regular bumpy layer over it (so as to put some of the bumpy texture over the marble), and maybe also take the marble layer and put it over the entire texture (so as to help distribute the marble texture over the bumpy areas). Obviously, you want to paint the layer masks for these layers to create interest and variation (and get rid of repetitive areas).

Good job guys. We'll be using these textures in the next assignment, which will be up in an hour or so.

and here is my creation:

btw I have a question:
    I can t select more layers to plaint over multiple layers and for the stamp tool. I tried, alt, shift and ctrl, ... and searched in the help file of course.
    I use Php 7.0
    Last edited by phoen!x; July 13, 2007 at 05:36 AM.

phoenix: nice, I see where you were going with it. I would work more on the edge between the two brick types, following some along the mortar, adding cracks, etc., but it looks good. The splotches of clone brush that add that bright color to some places works to unify the texture.

As for your question, you can only paint on one layer at a time. You can either paint using the "target" as the current layer, or clicking "sample all layers" to use the entire image as the "target."

Hi, here is my texture, sorry for being so late...

I used metal textures. This texture...

And this texture, both reduced...

I cutted both in half, almost like in the tutorial...

And THIS was the result (I know it's kind of foggy, I think I should've used another texture? Or I just plain suck? )

This was with Photoshop CS3

I'm not sure why it got so blurry. Try going through Tutorial 3 and using the brush techniques to try to retain more detail, or copy whole sections with the marquee tool to blend between seams. Also, read through the crits from Assignment 2 and Assignment 3 for ideas/corrections if you have not already. I'd like to see you try this one again, if you need any more guidance or ideas feel free to post or PM.

Hi again, this is my 2d intent, I took a little more time doing it this time.

Could've been better, but I'm pretty satisfied with it. Maybe I need to dominate the clone stamp, it was the responsible of the blurry issue

Now going to lesson 3...

Much much better.

Ok I just joined the class last night..And heres what I have

Before
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

^--I edited it to be smaller.....
    After
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

EEH..I am not really good at this type of stuff....And I made it into stained wood...
    Last edited by Bill Gates; July 21, 2007 at 01:28 AM.

What happened to the second texture you were blending with? Did you run the offset filter to make it tile?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12