If receive a Cyclic Redundancy Check error when trying to install Medieval Total War 2
1. First, check to see if there are any scratches, fingerprints, or marks of any kind on the disk surface. Something even as small as a piece of hair or a very light scratch can cause this error. If you find any fingerprints or debris try cleaning the CD with a dry, soft cotton cloth.
2. If you do not find any scratches, fingerprints, or marks of any kind on your CD, try renaming the InstallShield folder located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield, to InstallShieldOld. Start the installation again to reinstall the InstallShield components with the newest version.
3. Close all background tasks
4. If you have any virus protection programs like Norton or McAfee, temporarily disable them by right clicking on the icon in the system tray (lower right corner of the desktop) and selecting "Disable" or "Exit". Also be sure to end all background programs before attempting installation, this is best done after a fresh reboot of the PC.
5. Download the SafeDisk update from the Macrovision website here
If the above does not work, try the following:
6. Make sure that you are logged in as the Administrator (for Windows XP Professional) or Owner (for Windows XP Home). This will usually be the first account that was created once Windows XP was fully installed. If you are not certain, contact the manufacturer of your PC for assistance in finding your Administrator/Owner account.
7. If you have an Administrator account, create a new account with Admin rights:
- Click Start
- Click Control Panel
- Click User Accounts
- Click Create New Account
- Choose account name eg. Games
- Click Next
- Choose Computer Administrator as Account Type
- Click Create
After the account has been created, Log Off via Start and Switch User
Choose the new account eg. Games to log in and install under this account.
8. If the previous steps did not work and you have sufficient hard drive space available, you can try copying the disk files to your hard drive and installing without the disk.
- Create a new folder on the desktop (just right-click on a blank portion of the screen and select New then Folder)
- Name the folder MTW2.
- Double-Click the new MTW2 folder to open it.
- Insert the 1st disk into the DVD-Rom drive and if the auto play starts, cancel it.
- Double-click My Computer to open it.
- Right-click on your DVD-Rom drive and choose Open
- When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All
- All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted, click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose Copy
- Click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the disk into the MTW2 folder on your hard drive.
- Follow the steps above to copy the second disk - Once all the files have been copied, remove ALL CDs from any drives.
- Run Setup.exe to install the game
To save disk space, you can delete the MTW2 folder after the installation has completed.
If you cannot copy the CD contents to your hard drive or get the same error message when installing the game on another computer, then there is a possibility of the discs being defective, if you suspect this may be the case, please return the disk to the original retailer for a replacement.