Thread: ES Vol. V|Iss. III: Lusted Interview, The University w/Professor420

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default ES Vol. V|Iss. III: Lusted Interview, The University w/Professor420

The Eagle Standard

Editor's Welcome
    Dears friends, I come to you today with great tidings. Our prodigal son has returned . Hex Khan is back among the ranks of the Eagle Standard battalion. Things have really picked up in the ES subforum lately, and we've been spitting out interviews left and right. This week's issue includes some awesome interviews from Lusted (complimentary of our prodigal son), and Professor420, regarding the newly formed University, compiled by newcomer Leonidas the Lion. So read on, and become enlightened!

Hex Khan interviewing [user=Lusted]Lusted[/user], famed modder extraordinare, about his upcoming campaigns mini-mod

I've returned, emerging out of the heavy mists of the Scottish Highlands, wearing a blatantly fake ginger beard and moustache attached to a tartan bonnet with a nice blue ball on the top and with a belted plaid draped across my frame, with an interestingly cooling breeze blowing between my legs...

... So refreshing...

I am once again up to my old antics as I bring to you another insightful interview with everyone’s favourite... well he has a good few titles now among which would be his recent appointment to CA as a Games Tester, yes I know how you feel, I am also immensely jealous too, but lets face it with a sir name like 'Lusted' it cant be helped, sooner we all get over it the better. And besides my friends look at it this way, with Lusted jumping into the CA bandwagon, we know we will get games free of bugs and glitches and all sorts of terrible thingies, that right thingies!

But enough of the young laddie's personal life for now, lets us jump in and find out more about his work of our community and when he's done maybe some more about his personal life...

Could you tell us a little about yourself?
    Well im 18, live in Sussex in the UK and on the 18th of this month will be starting a job as a Games Tester at the Creative Assembly UK.

What inspired you to set about making these mini mods?
    It was a mixture of hearing about the 4 campaigns that will be in the Kingdoms expansion, Unspoken Crusaders custom campaign mod and hearing about the campaigns people would have liked to see in Kingdoms. Plus the custom campaigns are the perfect thing for more focused campaigns with more diverse gameplay.

What backdrops are your mods set?
    The 3 campaigns are the Hundred Years War, the Reconquista and the Italian City States.

Have you included unique features in to these mods, if so what are they?
    Not really, I do not have much free time so I haven't added in any new factions or things like that, at the moment I’m just trying to provide a more enhanced gameplay experience.

In your opinion what would you say was the best feature in your mods?
    That would have to be the rebalancing or the new custom campaigns that will be in 3.0. The unit balancing brings it much closer to how the original Medieval Total War balance felt, and the custom campaigns are great when you don't have much time and feel like something a bit different. Also I try to make my mod as easy to install as possible and i think people like that.

Do you have a favourite faction inside your own mods and why?
    Tough one, I have various favourite factions. I like England because of their longbows which I always include lots of in my armies. Spain are a good faction because of their great light cavalry and infantry as well as the usual Catholic Knights. Poland I like because of their mix of eastern and western European style troops, and their campaign map position allows for an interesting campaign.

Since we’re on this topic of game play, what sort of player are you? Personally I’m the aggressive sort always looking for another fight and more lands to conquer. Sounds a bit like America's foreign policy, but I'll digress...
    Depends, on the grand campaign I’m quite a slow player who only really allies with a few players and generally only wages a few wars at a time, but I do try and conquer the world. With the custom campaigns i have to modify my gameplay to fit with the gameplay of them. For instance the Hundred Years War campaign is quite fast paced and tough so I’ll fight a lot of battles and take lots of territory with only one or two armies because I can't afford and don't have time to raise more.

Could you try and sum up your mod with 10 or less words?
    It's an enhanced gameplay feel with a few extra goodies.

Have you a catchphrase to match your mod?
    I suppose that would be:

The enhanced vanilla mod.

Got any words of encouragement to potential fans?
    Lands to Conquer does not make huge changes, have a whole new main map, or add in new factions, units, or unit textures. It aims at enhancing Medieval II Total War without changing it too much, and provides a more balanced, challenging game as a result. Improved gameplay is the ultimate goal of the mod.

Out of general nosiness what’s your favourite Total War game?
    Medieval II, I uninstalled RTW when M2Tw came out and I haven't played another TW game since.

Do you have a favourite mod other than your own? (Ultimate time for brown nosing )
    Don't have time to play other mods, but I have hear that Stainless Steel, Deus Lo Vult and The Long Road are all good mods, and Broken Crescent looks very promising.

So outside of the Total War Franchise what’s your favourite game of all time?
    Tie between GTA:Vice City and Half Life 2.

Now is there anything you’d like to show off and tease us with?
    'Fraid not, though i have recently posted the 2nd preview of LTC 3.0, focusing on the Reconquista campaign that can be found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1854881

Leonidas The Lion interviewing [user]Professor420[/user] on the TWC University

What classes will you be teaching in the University?
    The first class I will be teaching is about texturing, specifically in Photoshop. You can find the virtual classroom Here. It runs five lessons over three topics: Introduction, Photo Editing (which is divided into turning photos seamless, and then turning those seamless photos into other map types), and Painting (divided into filters, brushes, and actual painting).

Will the University expand into areas other than modding?
    At first, we are focusing solely on modding. After a couple successful classes, we will expand topics and add more teachers. The first semester or two are a trial run, a "proof of concept." There has been interest in humanities, science, etc., classes outside of the realm of modding, and we intend to add these to the curriculum in the future. But first, we must find the viability of teaching things people cannot learn in school before we actually teach things they can learn in school.

Where do you see the University in the future?
    Assuming it is successful (which means enrollment is high, and a substantial number of students complete each course), the University will expand into both other topics (such as described above), and other areas. There's no reason to limit it to just Total War and TWC. Once the University is a proven viable concept, I'd like to bring in students and teachers from other mod and professional communities. I think we can establish a functional and novel model for Web2.0 and our changing culture and methods of learning.

What do you think of the amount of interest so far in the University?
    Its quite staggering, really. I've received almost 100 enrollments for my class, and Bwain's class on modding pipeline I'm sure will get nearly as many applicants. Its been almost entirely a positive reception in and outside of TWC, which is reassuring, because when gigagaia and myself had pushed for the University back in September or so of 2006, it received lukewarm and even hostile feedback in the Curia. Needless to say I'm glad once Gigagaia was promoted to Hex he pursued the project.

Interest is high, I think that's expected given the free cost of signing up and the quality of the teachers, but what will be a true measure of the University's success will be the number of people who finish a class.

Will you be teaching any other classes in the future?
    If the University were to expand to other faculties and games, I'd like to teach Shader Programming and maybe even create an entire next-gen character. However these are specialized classes and don't apply much to Total War. I'm not sure what class I will teach, but right now I am thinking about a class on animation with 3dsmax Biped.

What motivated you to wanting to teach in the University?
    I'm a big fan of freedom of information, of content, of learning, and freedom all around. I open-sourced all of my assets from my senior thesis Blood and Iron, downloadable from www.robg3d.com . I always try to write tutorials and help people with questions. I get genuine pleasure from teaching people and helping them along, as long as they reciprocate the effort and actually take advice and their work improves. The University is "a" (but not "the") culmination of these practices and feelings.

If you are planning for one year, grow rice. If you are planning for 20 years, grow trees. If you are planning for centuries, grow men. I feel that by providing this service, by spending my time teaching and guiding people, I can make far more of an impact ultimately than if I were to just bury my nose in a book and do my own work. Its often frustrating, it definitely takes time, but it is well worth it when I see people I've helped and mentored at one time or another really improve and achieve success (I give Lusted as an example).

Does someone need experience to participate the classes?
    It depends on the class. None of the current classes require experience.

What inspired you to mod?
    Actually I made a thread about it here. I tried to join a Rise of Nations LotR mod but didn't have any skills... a few months later I joined Fourth Age Total War, and the rest, as they say, is history.

What is your favorite mod?
    I really enjoyed Fourth Age Total War... actually I'm the only person I know who beat Corsair Invasion on VH/VH with the Easterlings. Otherwise, though, Rome Total Realism Platinum was my favourite historical experience.

How do feel when you know you have contributed to the TWC community?
    It makes me feel good to do these sorts of grassroots contributions... you don't need a bold-fonted name or a badge to contribute, and likewise, lots of contributors don't have badges or bold-fonted names. I enjoy creating and nurturing a community and learning whether at TWC or wherever I have been and will go in the future.

When you see new modders does it make you remember the days when you were new?
    I still am new, in the grande scheme of things. I look at the quality of work people are doing, and I know I have a long way to go. I only started digital art less than 3 years ago, and didn't model a non-TW character until 1.5 years ago. Sometimes I forgot how it was to be new, though; I could be quite obstinate and naive about what I knew and what I didn't about art, modding, and CG (and still can be, sometimes).

What advice would you have to new modders?
    Listen to the "pros." It is important to always keep an open mind, and when people are trying to help you, listen. When you are learning you should be obedient. When you climb the ladder then you can argue.

There is an infinite amount of information out there if you look for it... start with the F1 button.

And join existing mods. Don't start your own mod.

You've been involved in very successful mods, will you continue modding?
    Well I haven't actually modded much since I left FATW in January 06... I did some models for The Last Days (a Mount and Blade mod), and then did the Helm's Deep model and some resources for FATW. I am working on my own games and projects now and hope to get enter the industry with my own company in a couple weeks, and if not then I've applied to some indie studios. However, these sort of community projects (such as the Unit Repository and University) are something I will continue to stick with, they are more morally rewarding as my actual game work... if only they could be financially rewarding as well.

Thats it guys.
    You can check out or even if you want register to one of the classes in the university here

Big thanks to Professor420 for the interview.
    Leonidas The Lion reporting out.

After Action Report

Presents:

The Sons of Drest

by

WAAAAIIIT! Hey, good thing I got your attention. Bulgaroctonus here. Bad news, a week or two ago I somehow corrupted all of my Scottish AAR screens that I had saved up. Bummer, yeah? (I can hear your sighs of relief). Anyway, this means that I won't be continuing the Sons of Drest AAR any more, since what is an AAR with no screenshots? I'll tell you what happened though: I got into a big war the Welsh. It was a tough fight, but I got a lot of land (without destroying them), and then went to war with the Saxons. After a few very bloody stalemate battles, the unconcievable happened. My faction leader died at the age of 30 something from disease or whatnot, and I had no heirs.

What an anticlimactic ending. Just as I was about to launch a counter attack on the Saxons. Bah. Anyway, that's the end of Sons of Drest: the Scottish Kingdom dissolved into a myriad of small, independent states, and the scene was set for the Norman Invasion. The rest, is history.

Be sure to stay tuned for a Spanish Reconquista AAR.....again MTW.

Picture of the Week

Wow, in an unprecedented comeback, the PotW has really gotten off the ground: since our last issue one week ago there have been TWO, count 'em TWO PotW victors. I think that things are looking very good for the future of PotW, and this is mainly because of the fresh blood moderating the forum, [user]Garnier[/user]. Bravo to him.

Moving on now, it's time to reveal the winners! The winner of PotW 62 was [user]yaelthecruel[/user], with his untitled screenshot

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

SHABANG! MWAHAHA! Eat that!

And the recent winner of PotW 63 is [user]chaplain118[/user], with his totally awesome screen entitled "Winter Camp".

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Nice to see a RTW (actually, there were TWO!) in the PotW. It really shows an artists talent when they are able to utterly defeat the M2TW pack with a RTW shot. Props to him.

PotW 64 submissions have just started, so if you think you have a chance to win the PotW, click on the link below.
    PotW 64 Submissions, Here

Thank you all for joining me for this wonderful issue of the Eagle Standard. Y'all come back now, ya hear?

Oh, and a little present for Hex Khan

Peace out.
    Last edited by therussian; June 25, 2007 at 09:57 AM.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: ES Vol. V|Iss. III: Lusted Interview, The University w/Professor420

Great to write for the Eagle Standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Great interview of Prof420. I am very confident on this "Open Uni" and wish the best of luck to all involved.
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Woooo....

I was hoping for the ultimate FATW promotion-ES, but it seems Lusted betrayed us by not even mentioning us... (Favourite mods were only M2-mods! )

Quote Originally Posted by Arakorn-eir View Post
    Woooo....

I was hoping for the ultimate FATW promotion-ES, but it seems Lusted betrayed us by not even mentioning us... (Favourite mods were only M2-mods! )

you're people will have to get together with my people, and our people will work something out. Capische?

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Hex Khan's Avatar Oooooh Yeeeaah!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arakorn-eir View Post
    Woooo....

Betrayed!? You mean like how the Ring betrayed Isildur?
    Guess that means the only solution left is to cast Lusted back into the fires of Mount Doom?

I think we might just need a fellowship for that...

@Bulgaroctonus,
    I dont know if I should be honoured or offened by that picture a tad suggestive me thinks....
    Last edited by Hex Khan; June 25, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
    Historical Reenactor and Proud of it
    Winner of Best AAR Writer Award 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Hex Khan View Post
    @Bulgaroctonus,
    I dont know if I should be honoured or offened by that picture a tad suggestive me thinks....

Hex Khan's Avatar Oooooh Yeeeaah!!

I know it truamatised me too
    Historical Reenactor and Proud of it
    Winner of Best AAR Writer Award 2007