Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unspecified errors after rebels turn

Default Unspecified errors after rebels turn

I love this mod and the added provinces. I play on the base map, without added factions or units, but no matter what version I use, I start getting these 'unspecified errors' after the rebels turn, quite early in the game.

If i reload and try to end my turn again sometimes it actually progresses through to my next turn. I have to spend ages trying to restart the game and reload my save to test that, but it DOES work, sometimes.

I know a number of other people have mentioned this problem, but I don't think I've seen a fix for it yet

Since I don't play with the extra factions, it's got to be something about the map itself, I assume. Could it be something affecting the big map version only, I wonder?

Default Re: Unspecified errors after rebels turn

Are you using any other mods besides this one?

At the moment, I'm using it with mongolwarrior's Realistic Building Tree, but i've used that one on its own often enough and never encountered any trouble.

Hmm yes strange. I never had any problems myself, but today I edited the map to place the port at Caernarvor so it could be used. After I did this I got this error too, but not until after I had played for a while. It kind of happens after every turn. I can restart the client, reload, forward the turn and it works. Until the next turn again, and I have to do all that again. Have no idea why this happens.

That sounds very similar to my issues. I've got it set to advance half a year per turn, and I think the problem crops up at around 1100, give or take several turns.

That should put it at about 30-40 turns into the game, with it getting progressively more and more difficult to get the thing to advance even one turn as the years go on. Sound similar to your own problem?

I've tried something unrelated to the map, just to check. I noticed that the desc_strat file had a number of slave generals listed as 'named character' rather than general, and at least two with the 'leader' attribute as well. They lacked any other characteristic of a named character, like traits or body guard units. I've changed all those to normal generals for now to see if that might fix anything, but it means starting a new campaign.

It's difficult to say what it is. All I know, for my own self, that everything was good until I edited the map. Even though it worked, for a while. I can just go back to the old map with Caernarvon without a port of course, but then I'd have to start all over again too. And I am doing so well as Portugal at the moment.

I wish there was an option to ignore-error-and-continue

Me too. I'm not sure what I've done now, but I can't even START a new campaign. *sigh* Time to reinstall the mod... or just play Vanilla without all those lovely regions.

Ok, this is weird. I too reinstalled the mod, and this time I get this error after 20-30 turns in to the game even so. Wow. Either I've been extremely lucky the first time, or...well, I don't know. First time I played it was England, and then no errors occured. Then I played Portugal and it was error galore. What faction are you playing? Have you tried to play England to see if it is ok then?

@sb2ean: if you are reading this, do you have any suggestions?

So far I've *only* tried to play it as England, and I've been having these troubles for ages.

I'd tried with the full version of 2.4 originally, but I didn't like some of the extra factions, and so I stripped the mod down to what I thought was just the map. I assumed that the 'Unspecified Errors' were due to mistakes on my part, so I thought this base map package would be perfect.

Alas, alas.

I'm really curious if people using the older 'standard sized' maps have encountered these problems.

These are the last lines in my error text file before it reached a unspecified error:

22:48:33.082 [system.io] [warning] open: data/models_strat/residences/textures/NE_ship_dock.TGA.dds is missing
    22:48:33.199 [system.io] [warning] open: data/terrain/aerial_map/water.tga.dds is missing
    22:48:33.245 [system.io] [warning] open: data/terrain/aerial_map/tile_models/alpha_pages/mountain_mask.tga.dds is missing
    22:48:33.290 [system.io] [warning] open: data/terrain/aerial_map/tree_models/textures/conifer_01.TGA.dds is missing
    22:48:33.291 [system.io] [warning] open: data/terrain/aerial_map/tree_models/textures/conifer_winter.TGA.dds is missing
    22:48:33.337 [system.io] [warning] open: regionmod/data/world/maps/base/water_surface.tga.dds is missing
    22:49:55.920 [system.io] [warning] open: regionmod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/radar_map_background.tga is missing
    22:51:36.942 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

There are more of course, but it seems after this it crashes. Are these critical files? I haven't got them in the original package though. Ohwell, soon I'll go to bed and hopefully it'll sort itself out

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

From what little I know that works, if you are going to use mongolwarrior's Realistic Building Tree (3.0, I hope), you are going to have to adapt it with the extra factions and provinces and that includes the export_rescr_untis.txt. sb2ean has added units as well as territory and some of those are used by rebels. File conficts can cause ctds and leave no clue.
    I took a look at doing it but I am waiting for the final faction numbers.

If I wasn't clear, I'm using the base map version that s2bean just put out recently. No new units, no new factions. So there's not a conflict in that regard.

In fact, my system log is cleaner than ever:

20:12:10.171 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    20:12:10.171 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Apr 23 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2-84 (37970) ===
    20:12:10.187 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    20:12:10.187 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    20:12:10.187 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    20:12:10.187 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    20:12:10.187 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    20:12:10.187 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    20:13:08.078 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

As you can see, it had no errors until it crashed.

Icon5 Re: Unspecified errors after rebels turn

I am truly baffled.... Clean install of MTW2, clean install of 2.4 Base map and now I get this error after approx 20-22 turns every single time. Why it worked for me the very first time I installed this mod I have no idea.

Guess it's back to RTW BI with XGM mod instead

Why is it that RTW, with any mod I tried, runs so smoothly while MTW2 insists on CTD at the first sign of an error? I wonder. I so much would love to play MTW2, this game is great when it works. But vanilla just ain't cutting it for me.

I will try one last time with 2.1 normal map instead, and see what happens then. I like to play with the original factions only. Maybe hope for a 2.4 base map release in normal map size too (?)

Let me know if the normal map works better, I really suspect it's a problem related to the large map size.

Also, would anyone happen to know the reason why the new world is visible from the start of a new campaign using this mod?

Okay, this one got me. The base map got by me. Could you give me the link and I'll take a look at it? Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Icon14 Re: Unspecified errors after rebels turn

Quote Originally Posted by Garner View Post
    Let me know if the normal map works better, I really suspect it's a problem related to the large map size.

Also, would anyone happen to know the reason why the new world is visible from the start of a new campaign using this mod?
    Normal map 2.1 works like a charm. I'm using that one, a tiny bit modified Ultimate AI 1.5, Eastern Princesses mod, real French banners, skymod 1.0 and Burreks re-skins.

I have packed most of it a rar-file, 12.6mb, except Burreks/Skymod as that would make it a lot bigger. If you contact me by message in-board I could send it to you if you want. For me it works great.

I just wish I knew why 2.4 Bare map bugs, and why it worked the first time. Hoping for a normal version of 2.4 Bare still

@irishron: 2.4 Bare Map
    Last edited by zowrath; June 25, 2007 at 12:34 PM.

Righto, check your PM's!

How does the 2.1 map look in regards to things like missing ports?

Icon7 Re: Unspecified errors after rebels turn

Quote Originally Posted by Garner View Post
    Righto, check your PM's!

How does the 2.1 map look in regards to things like missing ports?
    Done! I didn't check Caernarvon, but the map works. And with UAI 1.5 there are good wars too Better look out for Milan, unless you're playing them. They tend to like wars

I installed 2.4 base and this is what I got for my efforts.
    1. The system.log.txt says, "scrpit error in data/export_data_unit.txt, at line 10589, column 1: could not find battle model for unit type 'mutatawwi'a'. The only export_descr_unit.txt is in the upacked files and line 10589 in it is the first lie for Jannisary Heavy Cavalry.
    2. Since the the system.log.txt is in the base M2TW folder instead of the logs folder tells me it's not reading the config file.
    3. Qiuck look at the reg launcher, the registry keys in it and the file names it references don't match.

This is in SB2ean's court.

Icon10 Re: Unspecified errors after rebels turn

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    I installed 2.4 base and this is what I got for my efforts.
    1. The system.log.txt says, "scrpit error in data/export_data_unit.txt, at line 10589, column 1: could not find battle model for unit type 'mutatawwi'a'. The only export_descr_unit.txt is in the upacked files and line 10589 in it is the first lie for Jannisary Heavy Cavalry.
    2. Since the the system.log.txt is in the base M2TW folder instead of the logs folder tells me it's not reading the config file.
    3. Qiuck look at the reg launcher, the registry keys in it and the file names it references don't match.

This is in SB2ean's court.
    Thanks for checking that out, although I have no idea what you just said!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast