Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mentor Mod

Default Mentor Mod

DOWNLOAD

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1472 - Totalwar Link
    http://files.filefront.com/Mentor+Mo.../fileinfo.html - FileFront Link

Mentor Mod - created by fahrenheit

Current Version: 1.2

Note - For this to work your young general MUST NOT be a governer otherwise it will not work. Due to some errors, there is no increase in dread. This only works for family members, it wont work for priests or princecess's. This side mod is best played on atleast a 1 turn per year game or smaller (2 turns per year).

The whole purpose of this is to get a good kickoff start with your young generals. I was really tired of having a great general or chivalrous general grow to old to do campaign and have him waste all of his talent by dying. So now if you have a very old "great" general then if you wish you can pass on some of his attributes to a younger, more impressionable family member.
    Basically you keep a young general with a governer that has a high level of a certain attribute (command, chiv, piety) and that young general will start to gain in whatever that governer has a high level of.

Gameplay hints: Always keep the general you want to pass on traits as the governer, otherwise it wont work.
    When your family member comes of age, immedietly move him towards the settlement the governer is in. After a certain amount of time your general cant learn anything.
    If your general has a good student or above, and he doesnt immedietly learn anything, dont worry. Some of these take time, and its not 100% certain he will get anything.

Version 1.2 Features:
    Added the "intelligence" option for adopted and betrothed generals.
    Tweaked the length that a general can learn any of the concepts.

Version 1.0 Features:
    5 possible "intelligence" traits that any general gets when he comes of age, which include:
    - Horrible Student
    - Bad Student
    - Mediocre Student
    - Good Student
    - Excellent Student
    Each trait determines the chance of the general learning command, chivalry, and piety from the governer he is with.

A general can learn either command, chivalry, or piety concepts from the governer the general is with. Although he can only learn under certain conditions:
    - The governer has atleast a level 4 in any of the categories
    - The new general is in the settlement with the governer at the end of a turn
    - The new general is anywhere from 16-23 years old (depending upon how many years per turn your game is)
    - The general has atleast an intelligence trait better than Horrible Student. Obviously the better the student the higher chance he has to gain the concepts.

A general can gain two levels of each attribute (com,chiv,piety) either "Has a concept of" or "Has a good idea".
    "Has a concept of" will award the general two stats for said attribute, while a good idea awards 5 stats.

The good idea is really good trait, but its harder to get and requires the such:
    - The governer has atleast a level 8 in any of the attribute.
    - The general already has a "concept of".
    - The chances of getting the good idea decrease, a bad student has pretty much no chance of getting it.
    - The time taken to learn it is longer, so until your general becomes 22 or 23 you should wait for it.

To Install:
    Replace the mod files over your own. export_descr_character_traits, export_descr_VnVs_enums can be found in your data folder. export_VnVs can be found in your text folder, which is in your data folder.

****If you have the vanilla setup, you need to convert export_vnvs.txt.strings to a regular .txt file. I am sure you might need to setup your mod using the batch
    file technique. Here are a few good places to learn how to do this:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75229 - How to convert your .txt.strings to a regular .txt
    http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Main_Page - A wiki where you can search anything concerning twcenter and modding****

If you have the vanilla 1.2 setup installed on your comp, you can replace the files (with the exception of export_vnvs.txt) right over your own. If you have a mod that changed these files, open up the Modders File folder and add the text manually to your mod.

Here is how to do that if you dont know:
    Go to the modders file and open export_desc_character_traits, then copy the traits text (all of the text until the triggers line) then open up your own export_desc_character_traits and go down until you find the very last trait (before the triggers) and paste everything.

Then do the same with the triggers, except go to the very bottom of the page and paste.

Then open up export_desc_VnV_enum in both the modders file and your own, copy everything in the modders file and paste it at the bottom of your own.

Then open up export_VnV in the modders file and your own (which can be found in the text folder) and copy and paste the modders file text to your own.

----===== Modder Note ====-----

This mod will work with just about any mod, as it adds traits and triggers instead of changing them. (With the exception of the Intelligence trait) But if you
    wish to add this feature to your mod, it is free to use. Please credit/link me though.

Any errors, CTD's, or suggestions should be PMed to me at
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php
    Last edited by fahrenheit; June 26, 2007 at 12:00 PM.

"It's best to shut your mouth and let everyone think you're ignorant, then to open your mouth and prove it."

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default Re: Mentor Mod v1.0

Downloading now! + rep fahrenheit! Cheers!

Ieuano's Avatar Decanus

awesome mod, everyone, get this and play with BBB, its sheer briliance in mod form!
    Total Rep = Unknown???? who will +rep me to the crown, whomever it is will get a mystery prize! or will they...

How didi You manage to make it playable with bbb???
    I tried (copy/past the text on the modders folder) and got a cdt in the end of the 1st turn!

EzE's Avatar Libertus

Great addition - I like that fact that they have to mature a little in the settlements before they go straight to battle.
    "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of freedom." - John F. Kennedy, 1961
    :usflag:
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Really good idea, as I said before. I'll definitely have a look at it when I start designing traits.
    Piety et al are usually called attributes by the way.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen_Lee View Post
    How didi You manage to make it playable with bbb???
    I tried (copy/past the text on the modders folder) and got a cdt in the end of the 1st turn!
    Here, this should work.

Although it wont be completely accurate, as I noticed theres a few traits like flunked school and such, so dont be surprised if you have a kid who is an excellent student and flunked, and vice versa.

"It's best to shut your mouth and let everyone think you're ignorant, then to open your mouth and prove it."

thing of beauty!!! Will you give permission to SS to use this?
    +rep btw

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Quote Originally Posted by Mike13531 View Post
    thing of beauty!!! Will you give permission to SS to use this?
    +rep btw
    Anyone can use this in their mod, all I want is credit.

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Great idea, and great to see another curious M2TW player-turned modder! I'll give it a try when I can.
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

I agree w/ Socal_Infidel, Pnutmaster, & EzE... Good idea!

New version, 1.2

This tweaks the length that a general can learn attributes
    Adds the intelligence feature to generals that are adopted and betrothed, although it is for quite a bit shorter. Half the normal time.

Default Re: Mentor Mod

Nice, gonna try v1.2 asap.

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Does this work ok w/ BBB (or more specifically, Pro Deo et Rege, which uses BBB)?

Yes, like I've said it will work for any mod as long you manually copy the text over in the correct places.

Go to the modders file and open export_desc_character_traits, then copy the traits text (all of the text until the triggers line) then open up your own export_desc_character_traits and go down until you find the very last trait (before the triggerS) and paste everything.

Then do the same with the triggers, except go to the very bottom of the page and paste.

Then open up export_desc_VnV_enum in both the modders file and your own, copy everything in the modders file and paste it at the bottom of your own.

Then open up export_VnV in the modders file and your own (which can be found in the text folder) and copy and paste the modders file text to your own.

Hope that helps.

fahrenhit, will you make a compatible version with SS in the next version? It'll be a great addition to SS , not to mention advertisement for this mod,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike13531 View Post
    fahrenhit, will you make a compatible version with SS in the next version? It'll be a great addition to SS , not to mention advertisement for this mod,
    Give me the files (export_desc_character_traits, export_desc_VnV_enums, export_VnV) for SS and I'll make them compatable for you.

Hope this helps.

thank you very much , +rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast