Thread: That extra pixel, small question.

Default That extra pixel, small question.

When you add that extra pixel to the doubled size of the map_regions.tga, where does it go? Do you add it to the right+bottom, or to the left+bottom, or right+top, or left+top? Or some other arcane combination?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: That extra pixel, small question.

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    When you add that extra pixel to the doubled size of the map_regions.tga, where does it go? Do you add it to the right+bottom, or to the left+bottom, or right+top, or left+top? Or some other arcane combination?
    If you double the regions map and overlay it on, for instance, the ground types map, the latter should stick out from under the regions map on all sides by half a ground type map pixel.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I'm afraid I don't understand. What is the proper procedure of generating a height map from the regions map? Is it not

1. Double size
    2. Add extra pixels

or something else?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

That's the formula to calculate the relative dimension of the maps in numbers of pixels. What I said refers to their relative position. I thought that's what you meant by asking where the extra pixel is added.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

ok, I figured out the extra pixel has to be added (x, y)-wise, which is to the right and upwards. Windows Paint adds it (x, -y) which is messy. So how do you go about creating height maps and whatnot from the regions map?

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

ok, I figured out the extra pixel has to be added (x, y)-wise, which is to the right and upwards. Windows Paint adds it (x, -y) which is messy. So how do you go about creating height maps and whatnot from the regions map?
    I normally go the other way around. You use heights to generate regions. In Photoshop you resize using nearest neighbor and it creates the regions_map correctly. Not all products do the conversion correctly though (I have an old paintshop pro version and it doesn't resize correctly using pixel resize).

In the end the pixels that count on the heights map assuming bottom left is zero, zero - is whatever is in the odd,odd coordinate position.