Page 7 of 302 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: BGR-V 20150324. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

Default Re: Byg's Grim Reality 2 - Supply and Command is Ready

Hi there,

I must say that I really love this Mod and look forward ot playing with it in DLV. I am just wondering how the AI is affected by the supply limits if at all? Or, are they affected by traits in anyway that simulates a supply limitation? Or, is this mod restricted to the player only? If it is for the player only, maybe you could make the AI march slower or stop for a turn or two when they run out of supplies, and then are ready to go after that as if they resupplied during that down time. Just a thought. Keep up the good work!

Woad-Warrier's Avatar Vicarius

Nice trait system, good work

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Rothgar View Post
    Hi there,

I must say that I really love this Mod and look forward ot playing with it in DLV. I am just wondering how the AI is affected by the supply limits if at all? Or, are they affected by traits in anyway that simulates a supply limitation? Or, is this mod restricted to the player only? If it is for the player only, maybe you could make the AI march slower or stop for a turn or two when they run out of supplies, and then are ready to go after that as if they resupplied during that down time. Just a thought. Keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Woad-Warrier View Post
    Nice trait system, good work
    Thanks guys.
    The AI is not affected. Read first post on this thread for more info.

Please note, there is a bug which is triggering a severe penalty when you dont deserve it.

The threshold for level 2 of this trait should be 2 not 1
    And there is a text error. So:

Level Reputation_Destroyed
    Description Dishonorable_desc
    EffectsDescription Dishonorable_effects_desc
    Threshold 1

should be:

Description Reputation_Destroyed_desc
    EffectsDescription Reputation_Destroyed_effects_desc
    Threshold 2

Apologies for all those besieged armies that suffered despite fighting honorably and not exploiting AI weakness.
    Last edited by Byg; July 19, 2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    Thanks guys.
    The AI is not affected. Read first post on this thread for more info.

Please note, there is a bug which is triggering a severe penalty when you dont deserve it.

The threshold for level 2 of this trait should be 2 not 1
    And there is a text error. So:

Description Dishonorable_desc
    EffectsDescription Dishonorable_effects_desc
    Threshold 1

should be:

Description Reputation_Destroyed_desc
    EffectsDescription Reputation_Destroyed_effects_desc
    Threshold 2

Apologies for all those besieged armies that suffered despite fighting honorably and not exploiting AI weakness.

Could i get a quick rundown on what folders i have to go into to change the threshold number to 2? Really want to change it, but dont know where to go . Just a quick where to go and what to do. Also, how can i cut overconfident trait to 1 star? 3 stars is a little too harsh for me.
    Last edited by TheUnderdog; July 20, 2007 at 01:56 AM.

Open your SS\data\export_descr_character_traits.txt file with notepad.

Click edit, then find, and search for Level Reputation_Destroyed and you'll see it there. Not sure about the overconfident trait b/c I don't know the description for it in the export_descr_character_traits file. You'll just have to hunt around until you find it and it'll be pretty straight forward as to what values you have to edit.

[Edit] - Search for "overcon" (without the quotation marks.)

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Parzival; July 20, 2007 at 02:12 AM. Reason: for clarification

Hi Byg,

I realise your very busy at the moment, and I guess you have answered my question from 17th on Threshold value for Reputaion Destroyed, but any chance of a reply to the other points please.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Patrician

sorry you guys, I completely missed your posts because I thought mine was the last on that page.

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Hi Byg,

Suspect your quite busy right now answering queries, but could I just check a few things as new to these traits.

Reputaion Destroyed: is the threshold meant to be 1

Movement: Does this mod take into account the reduced movement of v4.0, or do the turns in field need to be adjusted. In any campaign I have run, the max. time my army (barring crusades) have been in the field would be approx 8 turns; 2-3 to get there, rest to seige, so not sure why you have values of 32.

What is an enemy region, ie what about vassals, military access

Overconfidence: Not sure why you choose values eg

Trigger Over_Confidence
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart
    Condition CharacterIsLocal
    and Trait MVC < 1
    and Trait FMVC < 1
    and Trait TMVC < 1
    and Attribute Command > 3
    and Attribute Command < 7
    and Trait Ovcon < 1
    Affects Con 3 Chance 100
    Affects Ovcon 4 Chance 100

As I see confidence, my first test would be do you have Strategic / Tactical skill, as these I feel should give confidence. If not start with overconfidence and have a sliding scale, so that as command increases you decrease this effect, so that about command 1-3 overconfident, 4-6 neutral, 7-10 confident. I would also seperate this from command so the two work independently. The idea has been using other systems to reduce getting command stars, so a player 4 star general should be rare.

So when over confident; troop morale, movement, supplies whould be lowered (the troops know your going to get them killed as you charge about), as you gain confidence; +morale, movement, supplies to reflect your better understanding of tactics and strategy through winnning battles.

Apologies if you answered some of this, KK should probarly done a FAQ sticky for this to avoid the 101 threads which are appearing.
    Movement may be worse than my mod on its own would make it. Other traits from other mods are also affecting movement and ss4 drops movement in winter. I'm sure kk will make some fine tuning adjustments. It's only to be expected when such a huge mod is first released.
    Movement regarding my turns in the field is a different matter. This relates just to number of turns spent outside.
    I expect you will rarely stay in the field so long as to reach Troops Mutinous level after 20 turns, but it does happen and the other levels you will reach before that do stuff too.

Enemy region should read any region other than your own.

Overconfident traits are there specifically to knock out excess human player stars in order that you get a more difficult battle.
    You can temporarily regain some by earning them with a major victory, but again if you get too many they will be taken away. This helps prevent the snowball effect of the game getting easier as you go along.

I intentionally made this trait knock of chunks of stars rather than gradually because it makes the effects a bit more shocking and it uses less traits.

I could relate my traits to strategy traits etc, but as they aren't mine they would not work in a mod that didn't use them. Also you can be a good strategist like Napoleon, but lose an entire army through overconfidence as he did.
    I have plans to integrate the Time in the field morale traits with the supplies traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Yeah the site becomes inaccessible periodically. I type out my posts in wordpad now after having lost a few after submitting only to find the server down.

I have a situation with the 'reputation destroyed' trait. I had some bad luck with my heir coming of age in Kiev on the same turn it was besieged by Poland and he got the trait. I had some merchant cavalry on the way to break the siege but a Polish diplomat approached me and I managed to get them to agree to become a vassal state, thus ending the war, and the siege on Kiev. Now ten or so turns later he still has the trait. Is there any way to get rid of it? Would getting him besieged again elsewhere and successfully breaking the siege with reinforcements do the trick?

To top it off I left him sitting around in the capital long enough to acquire 'too comfortable' and is now sporting the title Prince Vladimir the Lazy

Lookin' forward to it
    Hi, there was an error in Rep Destroyed trait and I've posted it in the bugs thread. The first level of RD was supposed to disappear after you break the siege unless you sally, then you get it even worse.
    Meanwhile avoid being besieged and catch the enemy en route where he will give you a worthwhile fight.

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeRed View Post
    I have an Idea. I enjoy using fortresses and often station armies in fortresses to better defend my borders and keep large numbers of units outside of cities. Im just proposing that could you work the mod so that if a province has 50% of your faction's religion and you put a fort down that the fort will supply armies?
    Yes, I tried that, but I can't detect forts using the traits system.
    Last edited by Byg; September 15, 2007 at 07:05 AM.

So diplomacy can figure out that you have military access but trait conditions cannot, one more oversight to chalk up on the CA board.

I did not really expect vassals, but I had hoped for millary access, ho hum.

As to Overconfidence, if you can get KK to tone down some of the BBB traits giving stars, then you can tone down the reduction, as the point is to stop high powered player generals. It might cut down on the shock that players are suffering from at the moment.

Best of Luck

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

I do not like this VNV sub-Mod - how can I eliminate this portion from SS4.0?
    Please be specific.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Fridericus Rex; July 20, 2007 at 09:04 PM.

Chola_Kingdom's Avatar Senator

"out of supply Trait wont go even after i got fresh foreage and lived for 20 years with a good city so please check it
    iam using Quick fix #3 and RC by the Big brothers "Shaeffer, and Quark"
    so please check it

Fan of True Mods for the MTWII :[Stainless steel, Broken Crecent]
    Stainless steel compatible Cinema editorial : Guide
    Viscount In TWC

Patrician

@Fredericus, Search for posts by quark. He has made a removal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chola_Kingdom View Post
    "out of supply Trait wont go even after i got fresh foreage and lived for 20 years with a good city so please check it
    iam using Quick fix #3 and RC by the Big brothers "Shaeffer, and Quark"
    so please check it
    Certainly will, though I didn't do the changes in the hotfix so it may take a while.

The city definitely has greater than 50% your religion?

Are there any trait changes in RC that you are using?

And you are in the settlement ,not just the region right?
    Last edited by Byg; July 21, 2007 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post

Are there any trait changes in RC that you are using?
    Our RCfor SS4.0 shouldn't touch traits at all

It modifies the files relating to unit stats, and how the ai handles battles, but thats about it

Shaeff

PS Chola - I can't possibl be a Big Brother to Quark - he's part Scottish! How insulting!
    30 Mis-spellings of Shaeffer and counting!

Hello there, im wondering if someone could help me out please. I realise peeps are busy but id like something clearing up cos i think ive misunderstood the mod. Thats after i thought id got my head around it yesterday, d'oh!

Ill give you a quick low down on my situation:

- a small army of mine is stranded in the middle of france having ran out of supplies (fair enough), it consists of a general and a few bog standard units

- now i was under the impression that if i sent another general of mine to that army he would re-supply the stranded general. The new general arrived there on one turn, stayed for the full next turn, then the damn French attacked me on their turn...swines. However, i won the battle and when i resumed my go again i could not move my army, but i can still move the newly arrived general if i want.

-Im confused cos i thought that a) my newly arrived general would resupply him, as this new general has 75% supplies and has been with the stranded general for a turn, or at least that b) having won against the French army i would have nicked their supplies allowing me too make good my escape home.

-I think i must be missing someting simple here am i? Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers in advance.

ps. the army im talking about is right next to a french city, i forget which so i suppose if its a drastic situation i could lay seige and (hopefully) capture it, that would resupply aswell right?

Anyway, thanks for any help guys, i hope the above makes sense
    Last edited by Withnail; July 21, 2007 at 07:28 AM.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Withnail View Post
    Hello there, im wondering if someone could help me out please. I realise peeps are busy but id like something clearing up cos i think ive misunderstood the mod. Thats after i thought id got my head around it yesterday, d'oh!

Ill give you a quick low down on my situation:

- a small army of mine is stranded in the middle of france having ran out of supplies (fair enough), it consists of a general and a few bog standard units

- now i was under the impression that if i sent another general of mine to that army he would re-supply the stranded general. The new general arrived there on one turn, stayed for the full next turn, then the damn French attacked me on their turn...swines. However, i won the battle and when i resumed my go again i could not move my army, but i can still move the newly arrived general if i want.

-Im confused cos i thought that a) my newly arrived general would resupply him, as this new general has 75% supplies and has been with the stranded general for a turn, or at least that b) having won against the French army i would have nicked their supplies allowing me too make good my escape home.

-I think i must be missing someting simple here am i? Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers in advance.

ps. the army im talking about is right next to a french city, i forget which so i suppose if its a drastic situation i could lay seige and (hopefully) capture it, that would resupply aswell right?

Anyway, thanks for any help guys, i hope the above makes sense
    Right, firstly movement has been tweaked in the latest hotfix for SS4 so though it wont help that general it will help future ones.EDIT: Actually, it should help that general.

Movement was never supposed to halt altogether, just be reduced.

Your new supplied general has to take over the army to use his supplies.

Can you move the new general with the old troops and leave the stuck general there?

Otherwise try a siege. If the whole army wont siege, then attack with the new general next to the stuck army and they will hopefully enter as reinforcements.
    Last edited by Byg; July 21, 2007 at 07:41 AM.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

Thanks for the fast response Byg...

If i select just the new general and the old troops they wont move unfortunatley, the only unit that can physically move at all in the stack is the new general.

The stranded general has 'Out of Supplies' and 'Troops Mutinous' on his character card and steadfastly refuses to budge, but yeh i was under the impression that he would be able to move, just not very much per turn. However everythings ground to a halt, if you like i could post a screenshot, i dont know how to do them though so could you tell me, cheers.

For now i think the best bet would be to seige the city as you say and hope the emaciated, mutinous dogs join in the fight.

EDIT - ok so im on the next turn after beating the French, and all the units are in the same stack. I select the new general who has plenty of movement points and try to get him to seige, however when i select to attack the city he wont, the red circle appears around the base of the unit and he wont attack, but he can move away from the stack and attack from another direction..

Cheers
    Last edited by Withnail; July 21, 2007 at 08:06 AM.

Patrician

No screenshot required. Move him next to the other units and also next to the settlement, then siege with him and they should maybe all join in.

But I must say that's an army that deserves to be lost. To get troops mutinous you must have left the general in the field for 20 turns I think. Those poor little guys needed some r & r years ago.
    Last edited by Byg; July 24, 2007 at 04:24 PM.

Yeh i aint been too kind to them little buggers i know, only started playing SS the other day so im still getting my head around the supply system...

The reason theyve been in the field so long is that they were the remnants of a crusader army of mine that, having reached the eastern edge of the alps had to turn back to england as the Templars took the target city of the crusade. Then they faced a long and ultimately futile march home.

What i found strange though is that although on the outward journey the army very rarely stayed in one province for over a turn i still had troops mutining on me and i hadnt even reached the Balkans. Is it really that hard to travel long distances by land, because basically if a general runs out of food in the field he is done for, shame that.

No worries though, i think its a damn good idea, its just that i either have to get a lot better at logistics or it needs tweaking a bit, maybe as you say that a general that runs out of food can still move but at a severely reduced rate.

I dont mind losin the rank and file, its just shame to leave the general in some dank French field until he dies of of old age, although ill try the seige and see what happens.

Thanks for the repsonses though, much appreciated.

Patrician

Well use ships. They are faster and provide supplies.

Outward journey attrition is not to do with my mod, that's a standard feature of crusades.

There are also other traits by other modders in ss4 thast can stop you dead so check for these too. Your faction leader's 'offends the nobility' system is one.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Byg's Grim Reality 2 - Supply and Command (Updated Details)

Byg, I had a thought last night while gripped by insomnia...what about some traits along the lines of:

"Good Forager"
    - allows you to forage for longer without using supplies
    - perhaps rewarded for successful foraging on a campaign without using supplies
    -higher chance if the general has the Intelligent trait

"Good Logistician"
    - the general has proven to be a master of logistics in the field
    - allows the general to take longer to deplete his army's supplies
    - rewarded for not using all supplies up before taking a settlement (or after 3 such campaigns etc)
    - can be used to combat the "bad logistician" trait - i.e. the general has learnt his lesson about running out of supplies.
    -higher chance if the general has the Intelligent trait
    Last edited by Caesar Clivus; July 30, 2007 at 01:56 AM.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Default Re: Byg's Grim Reality 2 - Supply and Command (Updated Details)

Good ideas Caesar,+rep, I particularly like the forager one.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://&#91;IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png&#91;/IMG]