Page 4 of 302 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: BGR-V 20150324. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

Default Re: Byg's Grim Reality 2 - Supply and Command for Testing

It's about time Byg...I was waiting...Ibecame almost distressed at the thought you ran into unforseen issues and had to delay...

d/l'ing now.

ahhh nah, it's not the difficulty level i was talking about. About those traits, i'm good in campaign games, so it doesn't matter really. I just don't like too complicated things. So.. would you make a standalone one?? i really like new traits !! btw, i have a suggestion about a new one. MilitarySchoolTrained, it should be Chance 50, since most of the generals are schooled. It should go to both come of age, marriage, and adoption

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

@Byg
    Regarding the timurids...I figure it is possible to give a hidden resource for their target city to conquer and settle down.
    As for elephants...very easy to edit their attack properties...but elephant artillery are possibly pointless...they might as well use regular artillery.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    Short of a sword coming out of the screen and poking me in the eye I don't think you can have too much realism, unless it ruins gameplay.
    Can't agree more. Thats why I played Rome Total Realism

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

This mod looks pretty interesting, good job.

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Mike13531 View Post
    ahhh nah, it's not the difficulty level i was talking about. About those traits, i'm good in campaign games, so it doesn't matter really. I just don't like too complicated things. So.. would you make a standalone one?? i really like new traits !! btw, i have a suggestion about a new one. MilitarySchoolTrained, it should be Chance 50, since most of the generals are schooled. It should go to both come of age, marriage, and adoption
    As I said before mike to "can you maybe have a smaller version, that doesn't involve supplies and destroy reputation?" - Yes, use the original Grim Reality file. From that only use the traits files.
    Perhaps we are talking at crossed purposes, but I hope that answers you.

I'm sure there is some training gained already from alchemy military buildings. Worth checking out though.

Quote Originally Posted by ME2_junky View Post
    @Byg
    Regarding the timurids...I figure it is possible to give a hidden resource for their target city to conquer and settle down.
    As for elephants...very easy to edit their attack properties...but elephant artillery are possibly pointless...they might as well use regular artillery.
    Regarding target cities: I try not to tamper with too broad a spectrum of files. That way SS and other mods can use my stuff without too much trouble. I like your suggestion, but best you pass it on to KK.

I had a little chat about Timurids with KK and I'm happy with the result. Oddly enough I was suggesting exactly what you just said regarding artillery instead of eles. I think just drop out the eles, I've just noticed that the surviving Timurids in my campaign have rocket launchers already.

It's like the Timurids expect the eles to break down the doors so they ignore any rams they have and the eles dont break down doors.

BTW, I have a tiny tweak to elephant stats in 'Supply and Command'. I left it in by accident, though I think it is better. Just use the old units file if you don't want it. I removed run amok, so you cant make Timurid Eles destroy their entire army like I did in my campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    Can't agree more. Thats why I played Rome Total Realism
    I used to play that. I think I stopped because it wasn't difficult enough and it simply stretched out the amount of time it took to inevitable take one city after another. I moved onto SPQR after that, which was realistic and tough.

Quote Originally Posted by HakanSherif View Post
    This mod looks pretty interesting, good job.
    Thanks sir, I hope you find it requires more thought, when planning campaigns, and has enough roleplayingish traits to make your generals' fate become important.

Byg, where is the original files anyways, lol

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Mike13531 View Post
    Byg, where is the original files anyways, lol

At the bottom of the 1st post Sir.

@Byg
    Well...the system is really cool. I like the idea of supplies in native soil lasting twice as long, I think it strikes a nice balance.

I do however find generals recieve the overconfident trait too often & too soon. as well as the ever unpopular "Blatantly Overconfident" While I do like giving the A.I. some headroom...its being given a bit too much maybe...
    Now I realise the whole point of the mod in this case is not to let my generals have too many stars...not that it is particularly important...but perhaps some liniency in this matter would be good.

All in all I REALLY like this supply system, my hat is off to you sir, well done.
    Last edited by ME2_junky; July 04, 2007 at 09:14 PM.

Default Re: Byg's Grim Reality Enhanced Realism Traits *Easy Installation Files

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    Compatibility with CNP and UAI for SS: MY mod alters character traits, strat, units, buildings and regions files.
    I can't see why it should not be compatible given the aims of those mods, but check what files they use first.
    If they use any the same, let me know and I'll adapt a version.
    Hi Byg. Your mod is sounding better and better. As far as I can tell, the only file that you'd have to change to make your mod compatible with UAI & CNP is desc_strat.txt. I've attached the version that UAI and CNP use. Thanks in advance. Cant wait to try it!

Attachment 3810
    Last edited by Caesar Clivus; October 21, 2007 at 02:42 AM.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ME2_junky View Post
    @Byg
    Well...the system is really cool. I like the idea of supplies in native soil lasting twice as long, I think it strikes a nice balance.

I do however find generals recieve the overconfident trait too often & too soon. as well as the ever unpopular "Blatantly Overconfident" While I do like giving the A.I. some headroom...its being given a bit too much maybe...
    Now I realise the whole point of the mod in this case is not to let my generals have too many stars...not that it is particularly important...but perhaps some liniency in this matter would be good.

All in all I REALLY like this supply system, my hat is off to you sir, well done.
    Thank you. Glad you like the supply system.

Yes, the Overconfident traits will kick in often. I can't compromise on that though, because for the level of battle difficulty I require the AI must have 2 or 3 times more stars than us to level the playing field. That way we get epic and critical battles where we have to hang on for our dear lives. For the same reason I also recommend the morale changes in my edu. Together these two things require you to use skill and not just a good army.

I'll let you into a secret. If you are overconfident what would you have to do to justify confidence when going to war?

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    Hi Byg. Your mod is sounding better and better. As far as I can tell, the only file that you'd have to change to make your mod compatible with UAI & CNP is desc_strat.txt. I've attached the version that UAI and CNP use. Thanks in advance. Cant wait to try it!

Attachment 3810
    My strat file is NOT critical so all is well.

1) It reduces those annoying land brigands.

2) It sets the game at 1 turn per year, which my mod requires, but you can set this in your standard Stainless Steel (see SS instructions) and therefore presumably UAI or CNP strat anyway.
    Last edited by Byg; July 05, 2007 at 03:52 AM.

Awesome! I already have my game set to 1 year per turn so no biggy there. Cant wait to try it now!

have to say the supply issue is the biggest thing ive missed in the total war series and im so glad someone has attempted to mod this. ive never tried the SS mod but this mini mod has inspired me to give it a go. might hold of till version 4 is out though.

not convinced that a new general should cancel any supply probs though or that merchants should supply. all the best with this ground breakin idea, quality stuff

Hi Byg,
    I have now also released Byg's Grim Reality 2 - Supply and command, which some of you may like to try now rather than wait a few years until my testing is completed.
    another great idea from Byg Grim's Great ideas!
    I really like your approach to make warfare much more realistic!
    I think I will test this a bit with the current 4.0 beta...

Great job!

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

and just to add to my earlier post, i normally play total war with a mate in hotseat MP campaigns. in hotseat we resolve all battles via auto calculate. do these excellent supply/trait features apply to auto calculate results or are they merely for actual battles played out?

Chola_Kingdom's Avatar Senator

OK since this gettting good reps i would like to test it out please tell me that how many files i have to install in my folders all the 3 ziped files or just two in th e below

Fan of True Mods for the MTWII :[Stainless steel, Broken Crecent]
    Stainless steel compatible Cinema editorial : Guide
    Viscount In TWC

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by tonedog View Post
    have to say the supply issue is the biggest thing ive missed in the total war series and im so glad someone has attempted to mod this. ive never tried the SS mod but this mini mod has inspired me to give it a go. might hold of till version 4 is out though.

not convinced that a new general should cancel any supply probs though or that merchants should supply. all the best with this ground breakin idea, quality stuff
    Well, why should a new general not be able to bring up more supplies? The general represents more than a general in the standard game. Think of the general as him, his unit (the other 39 cavalry that go with him) and a supply train. It's the best we can do given the limitations of modding. Merchants do not supply. That was an idea that was discounted. Check out the first post for what actually went into the mod.

Glad you like it, but do try it. I haven't had any problems so far installing into a CURRENT campaign, so you could try it while waiting for ss4. You wont get the Templar specific changes though. Just manually install the 3 traits files if you know what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    Hi Byg,

another great idea from Byg Grim's Great ideas!
    I really like your approach to make warfare much more realistic!
    I think I will test this a bit with the current 4.0 beta...

Great job!
    Nice. Let me know if you wish me to put it in. Some of my traits are scattered and interlinked.

Quote Originally Posted by Chola_Kingdom View Post
    OK since this gettting good reps i would like to test it out please tell me that how many files i have to install in my folders all the 3 ziped files or just two in th e below
    Maybe I gave too many options and made it complicated. The instructions are in the 1st post in purple for the latest version. The latest auto installer is Byg's Grim Reality 2 Setup.zip

Just wanted to say good job Byg. I'm pleased KK has included your work in the next release.

You rock.

Patrician

I have a new idea this week.

Weather. I loved the campaign map weather changing in RTW so I may reintroduce it via Traits. Thus the weather will be different for each General depending on his location. Actually a better system than the original I think. We just wont see it on the map.

It will affect supplies, foraging and movement and may be worse or only in specific regions. I may also link it with the "Battle Readiness Traits"

Ageing

My thinking, since I discovered (was told) that Generals age at 6 months per turn means that Traits will be more about Generals time than campaign time.
    I designed most of the stuff for 4 turns per year, but found that it works well and has a good feel with the same number of turns.

Basing my traits on campaign years simply doesn't play well in my mind.

That way the traits will always be right for generals regardless of what TURNS PER YEAR settting you use in Stainless Steel or any other mod for that matter.
    Last edited by Byg; July 05, 2007 at 05:48 PM.

@Chola_Kingdom
    Download, read the "readme" file. All installtion questions answered....

@Byg
    Why not create a weather event in the area, without actually explaining it in the traits lists...this way the player will have to figure it out that the two are connected...

Like uhm...a random event, say 20% chance that there will be some weather effect on any given general...
    Or maybe go beyond weather affecting things & introduce some random events...like; supply theft (some units in the army have secretly taken more rations than they are allowed) food poisoning, too much wine (your troops have drank too much wine and have so and so effects)
    Well...you get the idea....
    Last edited by ME2_junky; July 05, 2007 at 06:00 PM.