Thread: BGR-V 20150324. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Default Re: BGR-V 120719. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

No, I didnt think you were being negative, so I took on the negative role for balance of view. Also, it seemed an appropriate time to sum up for that area of discussion and simultaneously answer similar questions again.

Theres nothing personal in a discussion about a simple game mod.

It's funny how the same features can be one players nightmare and another's joy. This is why I try to explain the general philosophy of the mod, so those who don't share it need not waste their time.

Regarding recruitment file options, which can never suit everyone, the best solution would be if someone professionally increased the stats for those useless low grade units like peasants. (and then run those new units' stats through the cost formula to get their new costs in line with everything else again). They are actually currently using Real Combat stats, but for these peasant type units I don't think the system works. I have never seen a mod that makes all peasants and militias viable. Once players were certain to make use of them then the AI could be rightly forced to follow suite.

But as things are the default file works best. At least it does for you and I, given that we must work with the units we are given and that challenge is the top priority to make a game worth playing.

Ps reloading? I am going to have to bring back the hall of shame.
    Last edited by Byg; December 13, 2013 at 04:13 AM.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

Default Re: BGR-V 120719. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    Ps reloading? I am going to have to bring back the hall of shame.
    Me, I'd just call it the Hall of Godhammers vs the Halls of the Spartans :D
    Each with somewhat different playing objectives.
    It is rather remarkable, isn't it? - how in a game like TW: Med II - there still is such a wide range of preferences on all facets.

Thanks for explanations.

Patrician

Yes, lots of ways.....but only one true path.

Speaking of ways, A quote from Sun Tzu seems to fit at this moment:
    And so for the general there are five dangers ---
    Resolved to die, one can be killed.
    Resolved to live, one can be captured.
    Quick to anger, one can be goaded.
    Pure and honest, one can be shamed.
    Loving the people, one can be aggravated.
    All five are excesses of the General,
    A calamity in employing the general.

Being a Sovereign does necessitate grim reality decisions.
    Makes me think you need might need a "Byg's Version" Creed.

Hey Byg,

I can't seem to be able to recruit any more longbowmen as England. Is there a limit on recruiting those units? Also, Yeaoman Archers, I'm assuming they falls under the unique units category. Is that correct that you can only have one unique unit at a time? I appreciate any clarification you can give me. Thanks to anyone who can help.

The Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by loga_turtle View Post
    Hey Byg,

I can't seem to be able to recruit any more longbowmen as England. Is there a limit on recruiting those units? Also, Yeaoman Archers, I'm assuming they falls under the unique units category. Is that correct that you can only have one unique unit at a time? I appreciate any clarification you can give me. Thanks to anyone who can help.

The Turtle
    I forgot to mention that I'm having the same issue with Miles (English cavalry), I only have one left but I can't seem to be able to recruit more.

Patrician

Hey Byg,

The Turtle
    Hello sir, they aren't unique units. You are experiencing one of the usual recruitment restrictions due to not satisfying some requirement or they are a unit requiring an event before they appear in the correct historical sequence or an event phasing them out of history has occurred. As you have already been recruiting them it won't be the event phasing in, but could be phasing out. I doubt this though. The events are from real recruitment mod so I'm not familiar with when they occur for each unit or if these particular units are even affected.

If its a BGRV thing then presumably all other units of that level and above are also unavailable?
    Last edited by Byg; December 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM.

Civis
    Clarke Institute of Psychiatry (CAMH), Toronto, Ontario, Canada

One simple question:
    Is BGR compatible with Longer Assimilation option?

Quote Originally Posted by moralrelativism View Post
    One simple question:
    Is BGR compatible with Longer Assimilation option?
    No

Hello sir, they aren't unique units. You are experiencing one of the usual recruitment restrictions due to not satisfying some requirement or they are a unit requiring an event before they appear in the correct historical sequence or an event phasing them out of history has occurred. As you have already been recruiting them it won't be the event phasing in, but could be phasing out. I doubt this though. The events are from real recruitment mod so I'm not familiar with when they occur for each unit or if these particular units are even affected.

If its a BGRV thing then presumably all other units of that level and above are also unavailable?
    Yeah, that's what I figured. The year is 1235 (normal speed) and I am playing BGRV. I can still recruit Feudal Knights, Sergeant Spearmen and Light Men-at-Arms, but no longbows or yeoman archers, or Miles cavalry.

Patrician

Yeah, that's what I figured. The year is 1235 (normal speed) and I am playing BGRV. I can still recruit Feudal Knights, Sergeant Spearmen and Light Men-at-Arms, but no longbows or yeoman archers, or Miles cavalry.
    That does not seem right to me. I doubt they have been phased out by that time. And bgr does not have a mechanism to halt those units alone.

Are you making sure to click the settlement before doing stuff (as opposed to scrolling through the settlements without having to click them)?
    Last edited by Byg; December 18, 2013 at 02:50 AM.

That does not seem right to me. I doubt they have been phased out by that time. And bgr does not have a mechanism to halt those units alone.

Are you making sure to click the settlement before doing stuff (as opposed to scrolling through the settlements without having to click them)?
    Yup. I tend to micromanage a lot by mouse clicking mostly so I've definitely been clicking on settlements. I usually don't scroll through them.

Yup. I tend to micromanage a lot by mouse clicking mostly so I've definitely been clicking on settlements. I usually don't scroll through them.
    Now that I think back. I may still be using the longbow and miles units that I had from the start of the campaign. Meaning, I never did have the ability to recruit them. Would that be timeline related?

BGRV is not an option when I install version 5 + patch and run SS 6.4 setup. I have additional options, such as Gracul Ai with no mercy and the RBAI submod, but no BGRV option, just BGRII and BGRIV.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by the duke dude View Post
    BGRV is not an option when I install version 5 + patch and run SS 6.4 setup. I have additional options, such as Gracul Ai with no mercy and the RBAI submod, but no BGRV option, just BGRII and BGRIV.

Any ideas?
    Which campaign are you trying to use with the SS 6.4 setup? BGRV is only an option for the late campaign, no early campaign.

At first I was bummed out that there was no early campaign, but after playing for a while it makes sense. With the 12 TPY and other features to slow the players progress, you don't really need that extra 100 years or so. I'm about 170 turns in or so with England (only about 16 years) and I've only managed to capture the British Isles (after quelling some religious rebellions) and a few settlements in France. I think I got lucky there and caught France with their pants down. We'd been at peace and they'd spread themselves too thin by the time I attacked.

Patrician

Either that or you installed into the wrong folder. I don't think there is anything else that could go wrong.

Is the missing longbow and miles units an issue with timelines? The miles unit description says they are feudal units. Is it possible those are phasing out at the beginning? I've looked around and can't seem to find any answers.

Is the missing longbow and miles units an issue with timelines? The miles unit description says they are feudal units. Is it possible those are phasing out at the beginning? I've looked around and can't seem to find any answers.
    Yes miles are phased out at start of game. What you start with is what you get!
    long-bowmen will come in around turn 70 ish can't remember for sure, you will have an event called English archers. Then next turn you can train them!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by HUSKY View Post
    Yes miles are phased out at start of game. What you start with is what you get!
    long-bowmen will come in around turn 70 ish can't remember for sure, you will have an event called English archers. Then next turn you can train them!

cheers
    Thank you HUSKY! Much appreciated. Bummer there's no more Miles, but oh well, they were cool while they lasted. I'm glad to know there will be an event that will allow me to recruit longbows. I'm passed turn 200 and still no event though. Is that event time changed with having the Normal Speed checked?

Yes time 12 turns lol so long time so turn 850 or so. I don't play with that part of mod things take to long to happen.