Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rome Total War on Vista?

Default Re: Rome Total War on Vista?

Thank you again.

I'll start the process as soon as I have a few hours to waste. I'm very happy that most games just use a key code these days instead of requiring the damn disc.

Couple of questions:

1. What is "virtual store"? Is it explained in the links you sent? <--- nm this, just started reading despite current time restraints heh.

2. I noticed you didn't include patch 1.2 in the steps. Does BI automatically patch RTW up to 1.5?
    Last edited by Borluc; April 14, 2009 at 08:06 PM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

1. When time permits, do your reading about the "virtual store" and any other Brusilov included. This will help you solve your problems.

2. BI will do the updating if all goes well. Without 1.2 installed you'll never see 1.3. That is why he has in there the steps to check your version numbers to make sure your install goes as planned.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Borluc View Post
    Thank you again.

I'll start the process as soon as I have a few hours to waste. I'm very happy that most games just use a key code these days instead of requiring the damn disc.

Couple of questions:

1. What is "virtual store"? Is it explained in the links you sent? <--- nm this, just started reading despite current time restraints heh.

2. I noticed you didn't include patch 1.2 in the steps. Does BI automatically patch RTW up to 1.5?

Please read the post before asking questions.

1) it's stated in the 4th paragraph that it's explained in the link
    2) again in the post - BI should patch RTW up to 1.3 (if you have the original RTW BI release).

If you don't see the version numbers that I posted let us know. It may help us understand what you are doing wrong.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

its the start menu ignore it ,go via your hard drive find activison folder and look for rome total war folder then double click on romeTW.Got tw working on vista 64bit via this methord.Its a clean install no patches,no barbarian installed.I have dosbox installed and have found that a lot of games will run through it even if they arnt originaly meant for it.good luck hope it works.

Pope Gregorius I's Avatar Ducenarius

I have rome working with BI at 1.3 and 1.4 respectively. However when i try to install patch 1.6, i get this error...I am running Vista, and all other setups are closed....is there anything i can do? Thanks in advance.

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great compassion. Your delight is not in horses, nor Your pleasure in warriors strength..."

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

And What error message may that be? I can't read your computer from here.

Citizen

Did you install RTW/RTW BI in one folder and move it from there before patching?

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    Did you install RTW/RTW BI in one folder and move it from there before patching?
    no, and this has happened before. this is from the second time i installed Rome and BI.
    "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great compassion. Your delight is not in horses, nor Your pleasure in warriors strength..."

Citizen

If it happened before what did you do to fix it then?

Where did you install the game to (full file path please)?

Did you uninstall the game or just delete it from the previous install?

What have you done with UAC?
    Last edited by Brusilov; October 03, 2009 at 05:13 PM.

well i didnt fix it the first time. i fully uninstalled the programs, updated correctly and then tried running this patch again and i got this. the same happens with patch 1.5 when i tried installing only Rome seeing if the problem was with BI. i cant give you the file path at the moment, i will post when i can, i use my laptop for gaming, which I am not on right now, but i believe everything i in the Sega Folder cuz of BI. Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is UAC?

Citizen

I did ask for the full paths for a reason. Please post them.

For details on UAC (User Access Control) and other Vista bits have a read of the first and last links in the first post in the following thread (and follow through the links in each): http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=167821

i downloaded rtw gold from gamestop(payed NOT FREE!) and 2 things

why cant i play custom campaign it jsut kicks me out and i cant go online it says i need cd key and my comp is vista

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Khan edd692 View Post
    i downloaded rtw gold from gamestop(payed NOT FREE!) and 2 things

why cant i play custom campaign it jsut kicks me out and i cant go online it says i need cd key and my comp is vista
    The CD key is required to play multiplayer. If you did not get one when you bought the game you need to go back to the seller (gamestop) and get them to supply one.

Do you mean custom battle or campaign?

The first thing you need to do is add the -show_err message to the shortcut target.

For details on UAC (User Access Control) and other Vista bits have a read of the first and last links in the first post in the following thread (and follow through the links in each): http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=167821
    ok thankyou for your help, my laptop decided to go into a comma or something so ill get the paths when it wakes up.

here are the paths...C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War that is what you are looking for isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Gregorius I View Post
    I have rome working with BI at 1.3 and 1.4 respectively. However when i try to install patch 1.6, i get this error...I am running Vista, and all other setups are closed....is there anything i can do? Thanks in advance.

I've got exactly the same problem. Vista-64 bit and trying to install again. Had it on my computer before and all was well. I'm installing the same way I have for years, only with Vista the path is:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War

I get the same error pictured when I try to install Rome patch 1.5 or Barbarian Invasion patch 1.6 and if you click on the detail button it reads:

Error Code: -5004 : 0x80070002
    Error Information:
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (3085)
    PAPP:Rome - Total War - patch 1.5
    PVENDOR:The Creative Assembly (www.totalwar.com)
    PGUID:6C1804BC-094F-431A-BEA5-37A837958029
    $11.0.0.28844PAK

Okay I found a workaround. If you install Rome, and then patch 1.3, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield. Rename the InstallShield folder to something else, XInstallShield will work. Now you can install the 1.5 patch. The InstallShield folder will be regenerated. Haven't tried it on Barbarian Invasion patch 1.6 yet. I only really needed (Rome 1.5). Hope this helps others.
    Last edited by Baron von Manteuffel; October 25, 2009 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Manteuffel View Post
    I've got exactly the same problem. Vista-64 bit and trying to install again. Had it on my computer before and all was well. I'm installing the same way I have for years, only with Vista the path is:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War

I get the same error pictured when I try to install Rome patch 1.5 or Barbarian Invasion patch 1.6 and if you click on the detail button it reads:

Error Code: -5004 : 0x80070002
    Error Information:
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (3085)
    PAPP:Rome - Total War - patch 1.5
    PVENDOR:The Creative Assembly (www.totalwar.com)
    PGUID:6C1804BC-094F-431A-BEA5-37A837958029
    $11.0.0.28844PAK

Okay I found a workaround. If you install Rome, and then patch 1.3, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield. Rename the InstallShield folder to something else, XInstallShield will work. Now you can install the 1.5 patch. The InstallShield folder will be regenerated. Haven't tried it on Barbarian Invasion patch 1.6 yet. I only really needed (Rome 1.5). Hope this helps others.
    hey thanks man i tried it with BI 1.6 and it worked wonderfully. thanks man.

just realized that my computer does this with some demos I download (Rise of Nations:civilizations at war, it was a Rome rip off) but this same thing happened with that too. some software discrepency somwhere i am sure of it. but if i am wrong please correct me.
    Last edited by Pope Gregorius I; October 25, 2009 at 12:52 PM.

First, I'm no expert on the whole matter, but it did work for me with Rome patch 1.5. If you already have Rome/Barbarian Invasion installed then now is the time to do it. I would do this myself but I've already installed a mod. Please report your results so others will know, okay. @ Pope Gregorius I - You're welcome, glad I could help.
    Last edited by Baron von Manteuffel; October 25, 2009 at 05:14 PM.

I use vista, And i have problems. I have Rome total war gold (3 disks) with BI expansion (1 disk) i can run BI just fine. But when i try to run Rome total war itself, i get- "Can't Locate CD-ROM" Yes i'm using the right disk, and i'm about to rip my hair out if i cant fix this problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12