Thread: Trying to find online games

Default Trying to find online games

I got two questions:

I've been on GameSpy and couldn't find anyone to play with online. Is there a common room where you can coordinate games? I figured there would be people online all the time. Am I going to the right place?

In the game you are suppose to be able to modify the unit sizes but I go to Options from the main menu and there's no menu for modifying the unit size. There is control settings, audio settings, video settings, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Trying to find online games

Go to Video settings and you'll find unit size.

I haven't been in the RTW lobbies recently so can't tell you when exactly try going to the other lobbies.

If there's no one there I'm sure Black Prince will come along here and be glad to play you.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

There are 3 rooms on GameSpy (Chat Lobby, Competitive and Friendly). Switch to the FRIENDLY section. There are always people in there. Make sure you're using Rome: Total War (version 1.5) because that's what most people play there.

To change Unit Size, go to:
    - OPTIONS
    - then VIDEO SETTINGS
    - finally, click on the box that says "SHOW ADVANCED OPTIONS"
    - change the Unit Size there

By the way, if the BlackPrince doesn't play you, then the Barbarian_Prince will. If you let me know, I can restart my computer and be able to play in a few minutes. Let me know though.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; June 17, 2007 at 09:00 PM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Thanks for your help with the unit size. I got it, wasn't clear from the way they describe it.

But with the online gaming I have kind of a stupid question; when I go to connect to multiplayer through the game menu I get a "Log In Failed" message.
    When I log into GameSpy directly, I go to servers and try to find RTW, but there's only five games that they allow me to play. Do I have to subscribe for $9.95 to be able to play online, or can I do it for free?

Thanks again in advance.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Quote Originally Posted by micromegas View Post

But with the online gaming I have kind of a stupid question; when I go to connect to multiplayer through the game menu I get a "Log In Failed" message.
    When I log into GameSpy directly, I go to servers and try to find RTW, but there's only five games that they allow me to play. Do I have to subscribe for $9.95 to be able to play online, or can I do it for free?

Thanks again in advance.
    No, GameSpy is free. And when you connect, you connect through the Multiplayer option provided by your game. Do NOT download anything from GameSpy or install anything from GameSpy. Rome: Total War will get you connected without installing all of that garbage.

Have you ever played online before? If you haven't, then there are several things you need to do:

1) make sure you have the latest patch for the game (version 1.5). You need to install 1.3 before you install 1.5

2) If your Firewall doesn't recognize your connection to Multiplayer, then you'll have to disable your Firewall when you play online

3) You have to type in your CD-Key under "Change CD-Key" near your Multiplayer menu.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

i wish i could play online but sadly i lost my CD key. then while looking for it, i stumbled across my old medieval viking invasion key. so i decided to play that online instead only to find out i was missing the first CD required for installation....Seems like its always me