Thread: [OBR] Online Battle #303: Macedon vs Germania

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Default [OBR] Online Battle #303: Macedon vs Germania

Hail warriors!
    Time for an update on my latest battlefield exploits. This is my 303rd Online Battle. Yes, I've actually been counting! By the way, I used my alias, Antipater, for this battle. I typically go by Prince_of_Macedon.

Denarii Level: 10,000
    Battlefield: the Syrian Flats

The Two Opposing Armies:

Antipater (Macedon)
    - 3 Companion Cavalry (plus general)
    - 3 Macedonian Cavalry
    - 4 Royal Pikemen
    - 4 Archers
    - 2 Peltasts

[_GORILLA_SOLDIER_] (Germania)
    - 1 Barbarian Noble Cavalry (plus general)
    - 3 Berserkers
    - 3 Chosen Axemen
    - 7 Axemen
    - 2 Screeching Women
    - 3 Barbarian Peasants

During the troop selection process, I knew that I would be greatly outnumbered. I had 1,288 Macedonians compared to his 1,494 Germans. But I wasn't intimidated. I have a huge win-percentage over Germania.

AFTER DEPLOYMENT
    Once we deployed our troops, I looked at the massive German army. It was only massive in numbers, but not in discipline. Once I saw that my Germanic opponent had 3 Peasant units, I knew that the Goddess Athena would favor my men in battle. The Greek gods and goddesses do not favor cowardly units!

I then ordered my Macedonians to advance!

Since both armies (Macedonian and Germanic) advanced towards each other, it was only a minute before our armies came within melee-range:

I noticed that my opponent forgot to bring archers. This gave my archers the freedom to shoot hundreds of arrows at the Germanic soldiers without fear of retaliation.

Soon, our troops were racing at each other at terrific speeds. During this chaos, my opponent carelessly let his Barbarian Noble Cavalry stroll into the sarissas of my Royal Pikemen:

On the Right Flank, his Peasants were routed in seconds. But that was just the first wave. Axemen, Screeching Women, and all of his Berserkers rushed towards my Royal Pikemen in a ferocious second wave. My Companion Cavalry charged forward to meet the threat:

On the Left Flank, my Royal Pikemen were completely swamped by a massive Axemen & Chosen Axemen contingent. The Left Flank pikemen would have to hold out until reinforcements could arrive:

On the Right Flank, his main threat (the Berserkers) had bashed themselves needlessly in a frontal assault on my pikemen. The bearskin-warriors were impaled on the royal pikes instantly. Going berserk definitely has its drawbacks!

Meanwhile, my Companion Cavalry made a series of charges which caused widespread panic to all of the Germans in that sector. These Axemen ran in vain to save themselves, but no foot soldier can outrun a mounted Companion:

The superior discipline & training of the Macedonians forced every Germanic warrior to run for dear life. But in true Macedonian fashion, I pursued the enemy to the very boundaries of the map:

Alexander the Great would've been proud of his Macedonians:

As you can see, the enemy managed to kill 47 brave Macedonians.

A darker side to this victory emerged as I was reading the casualty list. It appears that my archers had carelessly killed 14 fellow Macedonians with so-called friendly-fire. I will punish these archers by reducing their wages and cutting their food-rations in half.

Fortune favors the bold!
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; June 18, 2007 at 06:12 AM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Default Re: Online Battle #303: Macedon vs Germania

That was great!

And your enemy,probably a noob if he choose Batrbarians against Phalangites!

Busy!!!

Perhaps, but there's nothing wrong with using an unpopular faction. In my opinion, I think it's more noobish to use Rome or Egypt (since they're way too overpowered in online battles).

Or maybe my opponent just loves the German faction. I'm exactly the same: I always use Macedon. For some people, it's a matter of preference. Some people want to win all the time; other people just want to play with their historical favorites.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; June 18, 2007 at 05:03 PM.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Nice moves, Fresh Prince of Macedon. I thought it was odd he took Peasants. Do you think he took them in order to sop up arrows from your archers? Or to try to slow down your Companions?

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

i use the seleucids. pikes at the core, legionairres at the flanks,cataphracts further out at the flanks, and archers and peltasts behind the phalanx

the Hellenistic factions are fun to play as in onlines.

the egyptians are cheap. they spam pharoahs archers, and pharoahs spearmen, and tons of chariots.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Subrosa Florens View Post
    Nice moves, Fresh Prince of Macedon. I thought it was odd he took Peasants. Do you think he took them in order to sop up arrows from your archers? Or to try to slow down your Companions?
    perhaps it was all he could afford. the money IS limited

Originally Posted by Subrosa Florens

Thank you, Subrosa, and welcome to this forum! I'm also new here myself.

He bought Peasants because he was inexperienced. For 300 denarii (the cost of 3 Peasant units), he could've upgraded his units instead.

Originally Posted by Paul_d

the Hellenistic factions are fun to play as in onlines.

the egyptians are cheap. they spam pharoahs archers, and pharoahs spearmen, and tons of chariots.
    Yes, I love the Hellenistic factions. If you ever want a 10k denarii battle, let me know. My contact info is on my profile. My e-mail's prince_of_macedon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Darn Egyptians!

Ketzer's Avatar Libertus

I like your battle very much!
    Poor Germans
    Nunc est bibendum

Thank you!

Germania has a tough time against Macedon. But the Greek City-States have an even tougher time against them heheh

Ketzer's Avatar Libertus

I would like to play against you online (not today but later)if you want, PM me
    Nunc est bibendum

Cool! My e-mail's:
    prince_of_macedon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Keep in mind that I only play 10,000 denarii. Hope you still want to play!

Ketzer's Avatar Libertus

Yes I play with 10000 too,
    I'll Mail you later
    Nunc est bibendum

Ketzer's Avatar Libertus

You beated me really Prince of Macedon, nice battle !
    I didn't play rome for a long time, Í think I have to practice
    Hope to fight against you later.
    Nunc est bibendum

Great battle Prince, I see it is the same BarbarianPrince from TWH from your online name(See my post in this thread if i've just confused you :p http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106031, i'm Carthage from TWH). I'll have to play you again sometime, are horse archers still you number 1 enemy?
    Last edited by Taifali; June 21, 2007 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taifali View Post
    Great battle Prince, I see it is the same BarbarianPrince from TWH from your online name(See my post in this thread if i've just confused you :p http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106031, i'm Carthage from TWH). I'll have to play you again sometime, are horse archers still you number 1 enemy?
    Wow, long time no see! We haven't played each other in ages.

Horse Archers are no longer my #1 enemy. I have advanced to a stage where Chariot Archers are now my #1 enemy LOL

There's a few others from TWH here (Oman's posted once here, Severous posts regularly, and Subrosa posts from time to time). You won't be seeing me there anymore, but I will be here!

You beated me really Prince of Macedon, nice battle !
    I didn't play rome for a long time, Í think I have to practice:wink:
    Hope to fight against you later.
    Thank you for the battle! Too bad our game was desynced. There's no telling how different our battles were (although our results were fairly similar).

Egypt battles are always tricky. Do you still have the replay? If you do, could you watch it, and tell me the placement of my Numidian cavalry throughout the battle? I want to see how different our stories are lol
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; June 21, 2007 at 05:58 PM.

I'll keep an eye out for you in the lobby, but I wont be taking any chariot archers, the only thing I can use them well against is the AI!

Ketzer's Avatar Libertus

Ahh sorry I don't have the replay, next week, I will try to fight against you as Seleucids--> my favourite army
    Nunc est bibendum