Thread: Feedback thread for Mitteleuropa mod

Sinuhet's Avatar Preparing for death

Default Feedback thread for Mitteleuropa mod

Feel free to write here all your positive or negative feelings related to Mitteleuropa mod.
    This is the general Feedback Thread for this mod.

The real bugs should be reported in the respective seperate thread in this subforum.

Descriptions of your experiences and any suggestions are always welcomed, while I cannot rule out that my reaction on them will be sometimes a bit slower ...
    Last edited by Sinuhet; July 08, 2007 at 04:55 AM. Reason: corrected some typos
    My TW games "Battle Formations" projects:
    Sinuhet's ETW Formations v2.0 – for ETW
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v5.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v3.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's AI Battle Formations v7.0 – for RTW 1.5

In Patrocinivm Svb HorseArcher

loet66's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Bugs in Mitteleuropa_1.0

Hi Sinuhet,

I have installed with success your mod in an fresh english version of MTW II patched 1.2.

The battleselector works fine but only in "administrator mod" (my system is vista32) : the symbol of Bohemia is now correctly installed in battles.
    Thanks!

Your battles mechanic V2 works fine too and the battles seems more "dynamics" but I'm not an expert to talk about it !

Could I suggest you some enhancements ?

1_ the time construction is too long for an impatient like me : it should be ok in 4season mod.
    2_ you could implanted the describable of current season into the frame of mimimap (like in Otherworld mod, sorry i don't have screenshots to illustrate my idea).
    3_ I hope you will added some new factions in the next version : Ireland and Kiev Rus and maybe Genoa would be great in my opinion.
    4_ the new units from Bohemia mod beta are amazing : have you seen them and could you have authorization to used them in your mod ?

loet66's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Bugs in Mitteleuropa_1.0

Sorry Sinuhet, I made a double mistake in my previous post.

1_ It's not in Bohemia mod I've seen some nice units but in Lithuania Mod beta.
    2_ Time construction is not really more long than vanilla game but I play some mods which reduce it. However a 4tpy mod could be a good idea.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Default Re: Your impressions from Mitteleuropa mod

Hi loet66!

First of all, thank you for your continuous feedback.

As for you suggestions:

Ad 1:
    The construction times and costs of building are in fact the same as in vanilla, only adjusted for 2 turns per year campaign. I have decided for the 2 t/y variant from several reasons.
    The most important one is a simple fact that the hardcode of the game is meant primarily for this setting. You could see this on the ageing of the family members and any other characters. More important is however, that the campaign AI and diplomatic relations are at their best in this setting too. There is some inertia in the rearrangements of relations between the factions, and any other than more than 900 turns long campaign is suboptimal in this direction.
    The second - also highly important - reason is a fact, that construction times in vanilla are good balanced as for strategical decisions what to build, where and when ... This is very good part of the vanilla, on which I dont feel currently that there would be anything what ruins game, so to change this is a matter of some future expansion of features (I will implement maybe the mongolwarrior variant, but I dont know now ....).
    If you have these construction times implemented in 2y/t campaign with unchanged costs of units, then there is created a situation for more pronounced production of units generally, and by this way also more "militaristic" game ...
    Altogether, after my own test, this is the only way how to implement the MTW2 to be maximally strategical, in my opinion. Otherwise it is not a real strategical game, but the campaign is reduced on the creating the units only in strong economies in all factions ....
    These things are also related to the new features in campaign AI introduced by me in this mod. In Mitteleuropa, there is not garrison script implemented till yet. But I dont plan to implement it for all cities, maybe for the several most important ones, because the real challenge in this strategically orientated mod is not to capture the foreign city, but to hold it against the pressure of the other factions and strong rebellions .... You must be very careful as for planning your expansions.
    Similarly, there is not implemented field cost script in Mitteleuropa, because I have implemented more challenging and general approach as for impact of oversized armies on you as Human Player ... If you have strong army (and it doesnt matter if garrisoned or in field), you must have also strong economy. Otherwise the red numbers in your economy are ruining your global standing and it is the best way, how to be destroyed by other factions. It is more resembling reality than field-scripts in my opinion - if you have an army above your possibilities, you will start logically to think how to use it ... And the other factions "know" it and react on this situation, which you have unwisely created ... Or you are really strong and it is only the first step to the succesful expansion. But if you will be able to stabilise the things and hold the new provinces is other thing as mentioned above ...

Altogether, it is very complex system, which appears in the fist turns very similar to vanilla, but after several tens of turns you must start to do strategical decisions, and in order of the hundreds of turns it is real challenge to achieve the win conditions ...

So, I dont plan to re-balance things again for some other than 2t/y system, and the whole campaign is meant for strategically orientated players, which prefer thinking several tens of years forward ... The longer construction times and the high number of turns is then no hurdle ...

Ad 2:
    This suggestion is related to 4 seasons, I assume. In my opinion this solution is too much, and the game is not primarily meant for 4t/y settings ..... Also, I have done till yet primarily the "coding" changes related to the campaign AI and to some less extent also battle AI, the other enhancements (graphics, new events etc.) are implemented only marginally. I am just starting to do this thing, and I dont plan to create from it some super-mod like RTR etc. I would like to have all important things under my own control, and such other stuff would create a pressure for creating the team and with this is connected also much more time necessary to devote regularly into the whole project. And this is the main hurdle for me. I am doing on this project only from time to time, when I can and want ...

Ad 3:
    I have thought about it, but currently is the mod balanced for these factions only. Implementation of some new factions into my mod would be very complicated thing, because it is not about implementing the "known" things as for new factions implementations, but also re-balancing the descr_strat file, expansion the relations in descr_faction_standing etc. There is a lot of things map-related and faction-related in Mitteleuropa compared to vanilla and all the other mods, which are in fact only a bit changed vanilla from this point of view .... On the other hand, I would be only glad, if anybody else will create his/her own submod for Mittleuropa with doing all these things necessary for implementation of the new factions in this my mod. But the balancing the basic Mitteleuropa was a matter of one month of work for me ....

Ad 4:
    As for new skins and models, the new units generally, I plan to expand the features of my mod in this direction myself. It is a thing, which can add a lot and the costs are minimal - i.e. the game is even save game friendly, one must be careful in adding new units only in "keeping the balance accross factions" ... As for new skins, there is no problem, one must take into account only eventual changes in model_db file, which is prone and sensitive to typos .... So, I will do it myself, but right now it is only a question of my free time and obtaining permissions ... Anybody else can do it yourself also, it is very simple (eg. compared to adding new faction to my mod ...) ...
    Right now, I am using my mod with zxiangs fixed models, and some attachements by Salty (with exception of the milan, because in Mitteleuropa milan=Bohemia , Himmelsfeuer and ziher.
    To borrow the skins from some other larger mod could be a problem of identity although. So I will not create any "pressure" in this direction toward the Bohemia Medieval Mod, Lithuania mod etc ... It is on the users to combine the skins from larger mods according their preferences ...

Bye Sinuhet
    Last edited by Sinuhet; July 09, 2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: fixed some of typos

loet66's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Feedback thread for Mitteleuropa mod

Hi Sinuhet,

Thanks for your_long_answer.

I've understood what you told to me and I respect your decisions about your mod.

Bye

Hi... i try your mod, but bohemia faction has got an old milan flags? Whats wrong? and sometimes, when there is end of round game freeze ( turkey esp.)
    thanx
    P.S. srry for my bad english

Campidoctor

Ur mod is very buggy!

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

Tobolight - you are spam bot or??
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Tobolight View Post
    Ur mod is very buggy!
    Hi Tobolight!

Thank you for your feed-back. Nevertheless, could you be a more detailed in listing the bugs? Do you mean that you have got some CTDs? Otherwise, some features of this mod are a bit extreme, so it is possible that you dont like theem only or the gameplay as a whole.

In the former case, please give me a description when and in which situation the mod had have CTDs.

In the latter case, please avoid playing it, because I dont plan to do from it again a vanilla or some of clone of it. If you prefer the original game and its flavors, you are lost time with this project of mine.

On the other hand, if you like to have a challenge, i.e. to have higher probability that you will not win, you can try another trial to survive at least. It is the main aim in my mod, and believe me, that it is not easy to have an empire, or even expand your territory - like in Medieval ages....

Or alternativelly, if you had have problems with installing it, try to read the respective section of the Readme file included.

Bye and enjoy the game, Sinuhet