Thread: Adu eligible to go to a European Club, does anyone want him?

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Default Adu eligible to go to a European Club, does anyone want him?

The former child prodigy hailed as the next coming of Pele has spent a few disappointing seasons in the MLS but now is 18, and eligible to join a big time European club. Adu has already worked out with Manchester United, but with all of the disappointment instead of excitement Adu has been spreading is he still wanted? Before I start trashing him I have to remember that he is only 18, and could still turn out to be great (Hopefully so the U.S. squad can win a WC) but it seems like most people have given up on him. Would any of you Euros mind seeing Adu on the roster of your favorite team?

Default Re: Adu eligible to go to a European Club, does anyone want him?

I used to keep up with this lads progress but then he disappeared off Europes radar,and someone in this forum told me he's got a big head and only plays when he feels like it, is this correct?

Most flair players act like this and how can he become a bad player overnight. He is naturally gifted. I would love to see Adu over in blighty.
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Well I don't think he plays when he feels like it, but he is stuck on a horrible team, and forced to play on the wing instead of his natural position which is in the midfield. Real Salt Lake is in the smallest market in the MLS, and thats saying something, so maybe thats why you haven't heard anything. He has wonderful footwork but his shot has been questioned, as well as his ability to score from long range.

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

Adu has been hyped far too much, he's good but not the next Pele, that acolade goes to Leo Messi...
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Quote Originally Posted by GrimSta View Post
    Adu has been hyped far too much, he's good but not the next Pele, that acolade goes to Leo Messi...
    tut tut ,you know that just not true

McFadden woo

shame only shows it 1 minute in a whole season

off topic - I'm gutted Bent is joining Spurs ,top notch
    and Future Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    Well I don't think he plays when he feels like it, but he is stuck on a horrible team, and forced to play on the wing instead of his natural position which is in the midfield. Real Salt Lake is in the smallest market in the MLS, and thats saying something, so maybe thats why you haven't heard anything. He has wonderful footwork but his shot has been questioned, as well as his ability to score from long range.
    You play where you are needed especially in MLS and horrible team? Then what was his excuse for sucking last season at United? His footwork is great provided there is no one around him challenging him. Sorry but if you are a MLS player and want a shot in EPL you better become a stand out player in the league, its part of the reason Dempsey is over there. He earned it and he is just getting better and better to the point that he is going to end up being the center point of the US national team over Donovan in the not so distant future. Adu hasnt earned it, he is all promise but hasnt delivered yet.

Lets hope they dont screw up Josmer Altidore with the hype machine that made Adu think he actually was Pele. What would a team like Chelsea do with him anyway? Yeah just what they need a whining teenager with a big ego.

TW Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by danzig View Post
    What would a team like Chelsea do with him anyway? Yeah just what they need a whining teenager with a big ego.
    Id Say he has potential. Id agree with the notion that players don't simply 'go bad' they can play badly sure.
    They can over hyped sure. But they don't turn into 'bad players', they just need the right opportunity.

Going to Europe would be one hell of a cold shower, the shock of how much higher the level is in the big European Soccer
    (as this is a thread about mls, i will for once use that term) leagues may well bring out that potential. I could see some middle to bottom teams wanting him. But not the top teams, and even if the top teams, we would be talking the under 21's or reserve, with an 1 or 2 80th minute run outs in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by danzig View Post
    You play where you are needed especially in MLS and horrible team? Then what was his excuse for sucking last season at United? His footwork is great provided there is no one around him challenging him. Sorry but if you are a MLS player and want a shot in EPL you better become a stand out player in the league, its part of the reason Dempsey is over there. He earned it and he is just getting better and better to the point that he is going to end up being the center point of the US national team over Donovan in the not so distant future. Adu hasnt earned it, he is all promise but hasnt delivered yet.

Lets hope they dont screw up Josmer Altidore with the hype machine that made Adu think he actually was Pele. What would a team like Chelsea do with him anyway? Yeah just what they need a whining teenager with a big ego.
    You bring up a good point. Adu is full of himself, and bought into all the hype. Then again, that is a ton of pressure, when you are hyped as the next coming of Pele it's hard to live up to that pressure. Adu is Adu, and lets not forget he is only 18. It takes time to develop into a great player in any sport, especially one with so much emphasis on teamwork. I wont mind seeing Adu line up with the U.S. national team either, I hope he can bring the men's squad a title! Maybe a proper coach can bring out the loads of potential in Adu, I'm quite certain the best coaches would be employed by European clubs.
    Last edited by NaptownKnight; June 18, 2007 at 10:45 AM.

No, Messi is the new Maradona...

Both in good (good player) and bad (Hand of God)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfootedfred View Post
    Id Say he has potential. Id agree with the notion that players don't simply 'go bad' they can play badly sure.
    They can over hyped sure. But they don't turn into 'bad players', they just need the right opportunity.
    Right but its important not to blow the opportunity when it arrives. If you want to be a "world famous actor" and someone offers you a small part in an indie movie you dont go out and half ass it because you think the small project isnt important because you want to be a movie STAR. You bust your ass trying to impress people hoping it spring boards you to your ultimate goal. This is basically what Adu has done.

Going to Europe would be one hell of a cold shower, the shock of how much higher the level is in the big European Soccer
    (as this is a thread about mls, i will for once use that term) leagues may well bring out that potential. I could see some middle to bottom teams wanting him. But not the top teams, and even if the top teams, we would be talking the under 21's or reserve, with an 1 or 2 80th minute run outs in the first.
    While obviously the talent difference from say the EPL and MLS is rather huge I think the problem with Adu is he hasnt shown enough in the MLS to even warrent that shot. As I said someone like Clint Dempsey busted their ass in the MLS to earn his shot at Fulham and while he was doing that Adu was filming tv commericals in between whining he wasnt getting enough chances to play and then whining more when he did all the while talking about his "dream" of going to Europe. Shutup and play applies perfectly to Adu, his talking should have been on the field for DC United.

Btw as big as the gap between MLS and Europe, a bottom of table move isnt exactly a step up for him. Quite a few MLS teams could compete just fine as a bottom table team in say England and would actually compete rather well in a smaller European league. None of this Adu wants anyway, he wants top flight team. From the start of the hype machine he pushed aside proving himself, earning a spot and just wants to leap frog right to the best teams in the worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptownknight
    You bring up a good point. Adu is full of himself, and bought into all the hype. Then again, that is a ton of pressure, when you are hyped as the next coming of Pele it's hard to live up to that pressure. Adu is Adu, and lets not forget he is only 18. It takes time to develop into a great player in any sport, especially one with so much emphasis on teamwork. I wont mind seeing Adu line up with the U.S. national team either, I hope he can bring the men's squad a title! Maybe a proper coach can bring out the loads of potential in Adu, I'm quite certain the best coaches would be employed by European clubs.
    Oh without a doubt alot of the blame falls on US soccer for pushing the hype on him especially since he is so young. The question is when (or if) he is going to realize it and start showing heart and get over it. I guess the thing that bugs me the most about him is we've seen so many US players from Reyna and McBride in the past to Dempsey, DaBeas, DeMerit, Bocanegra etc who worked hard to get where they are and Adu just hasnt done that but yet expects it. Even if he lives up to his potential I don't think he is THAT good to warrant that type of attitude.

Those MLS players you mentioned who now ply their trade in England are all honest hard working players (even Dempsey he covered so much ground at Craven Cottage I thought he was everywhere) most of all Bocanegra and McBride. McBride is a total revelation in England (used to watch him at Goodison) . I don't know much about Adu since the hype died down but if thats his attitude then I don't think any teams above English Championship would touch him as he isn't proven (not even at international level) .Still has great potential though and it would be a shame if it was wasted.
    and Future Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    Those MLS players you mentioned who now ply their trade in England are all honest hard working players (even Dempsey he covered so much ground at Craven Cottage I thought he was everywhere) most of all Bocanegra and McBride. McBride is a total revelation in England (used to watch him at Goodison) . I don't know much about Adu since the hype died down but if thats his attitude then I don't think any teams above English Championship would touch him as he isn't proven (not even at international level) .Still has great potential though and it would be a shame if it was wasted.
    Well he did perform quite well in the under 17 World Cup, I believe thats where all the hype started. Just like in any sport, players with all flash and no substance never succeed, but I believe he can and will turn into a great player, he needs a new attitude and a coach. He is certainly good enough to play on any European club, but I am sure his attitude will need to change before that happens. I wonder how his workouts with Manchester went.

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

badly, Alex Ferguson was not impressed
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

badly, Alex Ferguson was not impressed
    Yeah I remember reading that he actually gave him a trial as favor to someone at DC United dunno if it was true or not but if it was it might have been DC's attempt to put Adu in a shutup or putup situtation. Especially since he said after the trial that he cant do anything with Adu anyway since he isnt 18.