Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Battle AI 1.2 *UPDATE*

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Ultimate Battle AI 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by hammi View Post
    Apparently the enemy co-ordination (or rather, lack of it) with multiple stacks is hard coded and you cannot fix that, so I assume the passivity in multistack battles is too ?
    It seems to be hardcoded. I am not aware of any parameter, that might help to fix this.
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

It seems to be hardcoded. I am not aware of any parameter, that might help to fix this.
    Thats odd, although i havn't tried a multi-stack battle with UBAI yet, i thought that 1.2 increased the co-ordination of reinforcements.

In vanilla 1.2 i found that the reinforcement AI often lined themselves up with my troops, have you found that this has got worse with UBAI or did you never experience it in the first place.
    Popular superstition is still superstition.

Quote Originally Posted by onefistedboxer View Post
    Thats odd, although i havn't tried a multi-stack battle with UBAI yet, i thought that 1.2 increased the co-ordination of reinforcements.
    Maybe it has, hard to tell as AI is pretty clueless quite often in such battles.

In vanilla 1.2 i found that the reinforcement AI often lined themselves up with my troops, have you found that this has got worse with UBAI or did you never experience it in the first place.
    It's about the same. It's actually (atleast seems to be) the same old passive AI bug from 1.0 - enemy lines up near the edge of the map, sits there, moves few metres, sits there, moves back. Repeat. They fixed it for the 1v1 battles but still pops up quite often in multistack battles.

Usually one or more armies attack properly and some just dance. Of course there are battles where all enemies attack though.

DrBeast's Avatar Biarchus

Meh...changing the max_unit_width from 20 to 30 did not do the trick. Not only did the troops still arrange as before, but this time the AI kept that formation when marching against me, instead of reforming to deeper columns like before. I did a quick comparison with Darth's formations_ai, and noticed that he, too, had min_unit_width and max_unit_width both set at 20, but he also had a tighter inter_unit_spacing value and higher max_units values. So I too reduced inter_unit_spacing from 5.0 to 1.0 and reset max_unit_width to 20, but still no dice. In the end I chucked it all and kept your original file. And now I need a Guinness...no wait, I need coffee actually...I'm too n00b for this *****

More feedback: you might want to raise the skirmishing distances a bit. I've noticed that, by the time infantry archers start to skirmish, opposing infantry that are charging from the front have usually caught up with them.
    I've also noticed that javelinmen sometimes won't throw their javelins when they're set to auto-skirmish. I think they're caught in a loop of "fire or skirmish away?", or so it seems: they just stand there idly. Disabling skirmish mode makes them throw their javelins just fine. This could be a conflict with my javelin ranges and your battle_config though, I've set the ranges at 50 or 55. I'll repeat with RC ranges and see.

Actually, I was thinking about disabling the skirmish function for missile troops as well, as it hurts them more than it helps. If they stand and fight, they cause more casulties. This was the intention of the reduced skirmish distance. I have noticed the issue with javelin throwers as well, but it seems not related to the skirmish distance, but the skirmish mode itself. Disabling it seems not a bad idea.

I remember I had come up with some decent values for skirmishing, before I started testing out your BattleAI. They seemed to skirmish away just at the right moment, at least horse missile units. I'll try and remember to bring the file over and send it to you next time I come to work (probably Sunday, I don't plan on getting out of the house when the temp will be reaching 42 C!).

Horse archers have the advantage of speed, so a decent skirmish value should be found. It will be more difficult for unmounted missile units. In most cases they will be chased to death. But if they fight close to the rest of their army, they might have a chance and IMO better morale. Therefore I think skirmish mode for unmounted missile units is bad.

I don't plan on getting out of the house when the temp will be reaching 42 C!
    I wouldn't also at such a high temperature.
    Last edited by GrandViZ; June 22, 2007 at 05:09 AM.

Btw, what defines how far away they'll run away when skirmishing?

And 30 C in Germany I think is actually worse than 40 C in Greece!

There is no runaway distance (at least not in the config files, sure its hardcoded), only a distance they try to keep at minimum, which determines the moment they begin to run.

'k...bummer, that.

I have added some pictures of the new formations to the first post. Note, that the distances are not true to scale.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBeast View Post
    Btw, what defines how far away they'll run away when skirmishing?

And 30 C in Germany I think is actually worse than 40 C in Greece!
    OK if you want hot, I am living in Bangkok at the moment, and its wet season 36 degrees, which means its also hot season, and humid season etc.

As Robin Williams said in 'Good Morning Vietnam', "Today its hot, and wet, which is nice if you're with a lady, but not so nice in the jungle..." lol

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    OK if you want hot, I am living in Bangkok at the moment, and its wet season 36 degrees, which means its also hot season, and humid season etc.

As Robin Williams said in 'Good Morning Vietnam', "Today its hot, and wet, which is nice if you're with a lady, but not so nice in the jungle..." lol
    Off topic, but nice quote!

My modified battle_config.xml file, as promised. And I'm officially out of my freaking mind...biked 4 Km to the Uni with the temp at 42 C, and the a/c is not working here on weekends...

AlCord's Avatar Semisalis

I have a problem.

I copied the files in my mod (personal) but desc_projectile.txt produce a CTD in the splash screen. Dunno what cause the problem, another desc_projectile.txt does not cause the CTD?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by DrBeast View Post
    My modified battle_config.xml file, as promised. And I'm officially out of my freaking mind...biked 4 Km to the Uni with the temp at 42 C, and the a/c is not working here on weekends...
    How is it modified?

Quote Originally Posted by AlCord View Post
    I have a problem.

I copied the files in my mod (personal) but desc_projectile.txt produce a CTD in the splash screen. Dunno what cause the problem, another desc_projectile.txt does not cause the CTD?!?!?!
    Most probably you use an incompatible EDU.txt from another mod. Compare the files manually and check if there are additional arrow types.

Chola_Kingdom's Avatar Senator

thank you Grandviz
    btw way is there any way to make improvement in Reinforcement for the ai they are not joining with their group properly

Fan of True Mods for the MTWII :[Stainless steel, Broken Crecent]
    Stainless steel compatible Cinema editorial : Guide
    Viscount In TWC

AlCord's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by GrandViZ View Post
    Most probably you use an incompatible EDU.txt from another mod. Compare the files manually and check if there are additional arrow types.
    No, I use the latest RC EDU.txt with some changed banner entries. To be sure, I tested it with your EDU but it ended again with a CTD. What files could also conflict with the projectile file?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast