Thread: NFL drug testing.

Default NFL drug testing.

Does the NFL test for drugs?
    And if so, how vigilantly?

Default Re: NFL drug testing.

No American sports league vigilantly tests for drugs. Or if they do they dont care. Just look at Jason Giambi.

Do you think alot of NFL players are on steroids?
    How many would you guess percentage wise?

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Well HGH wise there are alot, including one of the major young stars in the league in Shawne Merriman, who thankfully didn't win defensive player of the year. I would guess almost 40% or so do take them, but who knows, HGH is undetectable right?

Quote Originally Posted by MoralMan View Post
    Does the NFL test for drugs?
    Yes.

And if so, how vigilantly?
    Very.

Do you think alot of NFL players are on steroids?
    No.

How many would you guess percentage wise?
    5% if that.

The NFL is very serious about that sort of thing.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

IDK how anyone could think that they are not serious about drug testing. If you read a lot about he NFL people get suspended for entire seasons for failing a test.

They take infractions against their rules VERY seriously, more so than most other sports in my opinion.

Ricky Williams used to fail drug tests on occasion, he smoked alot of pot, and would be immediately out for a season whenever found out. I remember there was a player who was QB for the Cowboys that was kicked out for for being suspected of it. Which, obviously, turned out to be true.

There was a player who is famous for this who is now called Marijuanavich who would fail tests often and was eventually kicked out of the league.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

By drugs, do you include doping too?

I just hate the American athletes, they all seem to be taking something!

A big portion of the athletes who get caught are Americans (at least it'd seem so..), the Track&Field team, Floyd Landis... luckily they haven't done it (AFAIK) in skiing yet!

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

I don't know about Landis, it seems to me the Tour de France officials want a European to win so badly, they even tried to convict Lance Armstrong. But the best American athletes do not take anything, although the rest of the world seems hell bent to prove it.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Well I have always been a huge fan of cycling, I have a road/racing bike myself and I ride almost every weekend.

Having said that I really dont know what to believe, both cases are difficult to gauge with many layers involved. One thing is for sure, doping is big in cycling and it appears it has been for decades. So I wouldn't be suprised if Armstrong or Landis doped, but considering the amount of scrutiny towards Armstrong in particular over the years, I think something definitive would have come out by now.

I mean, the man has never been caught, its as simple as that, while major names like Ulrich and Basso have.

As far as the NFL goes, I hold the whole league from commissioner, owners and players in utter contempt. Its a league built around gambling, and the owners and all the commissioners have always known this, having known that they have used it to build their product. Along with that their attitude and policies towards PE drugs have always been a joke, while their attitudes towards street drugs are much tougher.

I have no doubt a large amount of NFL players are using some kind of PE drugs. Trainers have come out and spoke about this very thing since the 80's. Handing out amphetamines like candy before games, pills at halftime to reduce lactic acid buildup, pills and shots after games to reduce inflammation, and its not just ben-gay or cortisone.

Its not just American sports though, every sport in which your salary is based on performance should be looked at as a haven for PE drugs.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

It depends on position really.

Quarterback, kicker, probably less than 5% take steroids

Wide reciever and corners, around 10-15%

Runningbacks, Linebackers and Safetys, 35-40%

Linemen, probably upwards of 80%
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Thats the thing though, its so much more than the prototypical steroid that these guys take. There are many PE drugs that don't have anything to do with bulking up.

I mean Amphetamines have always been big in Baseball and in the 80's most players took them as a simple pick-me-up.

Floyd Landis is suspected of taking what is essentially a vitamin, that speeds up red blood cell production and thus your natural levels get all out of whack and it raises a flag. In his case his Testosterone levels in relation to his Epitestosterone levels were too high. It can happen naturally though, especially when during strenuous activity. I think riding nearly 20 stages in the Tour de France would qualify as strenuous.

In my eyes its the most taxing sporting event on the planet. When descending these guys can reach speeds of 80mph. So to ride for 2 weeks without crashing, or dying for that matter, riding a strategically perfect race over 2000 miles in length long over mountains, cobblestones while in 90 degree heat, thats pretty amazing to me and in thats case case Im almost in awe these guys complete the race without being on something.

Aside from all that the team strategy involved is amazing to me, and in the end the Tour de France isn't even the most strenuous, just the most renowned.
    Last edited by mrmouth; June 16, 2007 at 03:46 PM.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Linemen, probably upwards of 80%
    They look more like biggie than barry bonds. The only steroids they take is a cheeseburger.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Tank Johnson a Bears DT did just over 2 months in jail and in that time he spent over $700 on junk food.