Thread: [RTW AAR] Online Battle Report: Macedon vs Greece

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Default [RTW AAR] Online Battle Report: Macedon vs Greece

(This was my 95th online battle. It's from a very old battle report. I'm already on my 301st online battle now.)

It would seem that the Greek City-States have sent an army against my beloved Macedon. I marched my army down to the Grassy Flatlands to engage this menace.

The enemy commanded a mighty army of 1,291 hoplites. Opposing him, I brought with me the finest phalangites, cavalry and skirmishers from Macedon (numbering 1,262 total).

My opponent arrayed his hoplites in an eccentric turtle formation constructed like a pentagon with tentacles protruding from the head. It was an "experimental formation," confessed my opponent. I had no choice but to advance upon it...

(The blue arrows represent Macedon movement. The red arrows represent City-State movement)

Once the battle began, his peculiar formation gradually lost its shape as his hoplites peeled off to engage my Macedons. What started off as an orderly affair quickly turned into a series of phalangite vs hoplite mini-battles. My cavalry delivered hammer-like blows wherever it could...

During the battle, I became overwhelmed by the infinite number of hoplites that were hurled at me. Despite all of my expert maneuvering, the ranks of my soldiers were quickly depleting. His hoplites were everywhere it mattered. Before I knew it, the bloody battle dwindled down to a life-and-death struggle between the enemy's 200 remaining hoplites and my meager force of 90 archers (with roughly 25 horses as support).

As a minute went by, my once-panicked peltasts stopped retreating, and they chose to rejoin the battle like true Macedon heroes. The bravery of these peltasts added 50 additional troops to my cause.

His 200 hoplites pressed forward against my skirmishers with sheer power. I didn't fear defeat anymore so I invited his hoplites to advance even farther and farther. As my skirmishers fell back away from his hoplites, I ordered the cavalry to shock my enemy from the rear...

In the final battle, my skirmishers drew out their daggers and lunged into the ranks of the enemy. Peltasts and archers alike hacked bravely away at the large hoplon shields used by the enemy. It was a ferocious battle, but the valor of my skirmishers held firm...

His hoplites fought fiercely, but my skirmishers (standing in solidarity with the heavy cavalry) were equally determined. It was a contest to see who could stand the longest. In the end, it was Macedon whom Zeus favored...

Much blood had been spilled for the freedom and glory of Greece.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; June 14, 2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: just fixing some grammatical mistakes
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Default Re: Online Battle Report: Macedon vs Greece

How many Money did you used?

Busy!!!

It was a 10,000 denarii battle. I find that amount to be the fairest (while creating reasonable-sized armies).

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Icon10 Re: Online Battle Report: Macedon vs Greece

That was pretty cool.I look forward to your next one

(If you make 1)

But of course! I try to play at least one online battle a day.

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Nice work. Reminds me of those good times back in my days of online RTW.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

Thank you!

Just curious - why don't you play online anymore? Or, do you?

I played often MP

I thought it was noob money(100 000Denari)here

Busy!!!

I don't play high denarii levels: I play the default level of 10,000 (not 100,000). The higher denarii favors the Romans way too much.

Would you like to fight a 10,000 denarii battle sometime? I'm looking to see who the multiplayer people are here.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; June 18, 2007 at 05:04 PM.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

i will, once i get rome workin again

I go as WP_Spartan.