Thread: Battle of Warsaw

Default Battle of Warsaw

This is rip off from my Crusader Kings-EU3 AAR :
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=278786

HISTORY OF THE WHITE EAGLE

Wladyslaw I the Fair-haired(Jasnowłosy)
    1458 - 1476

Part III

With the beginning of September 1459 war started for good. King Wladyslaw I decided to deal with Duke of Prussia at first, and hastened his knights in their march northwards, recruiting peasants on their way. In the meantime Janusz I with his strong army reached town of Warsaw, and began siege. After week impatient Duke rode himself to the walls, giving city official choice of surrender or assault, pillage and deaths. Seeing brave and furious Duke, and remembering his infamous cruelty during Civil War, small garrison of Warsaw surrendered and opened gates.

Wladyslaw wasn`t surprised when he encountered Ducal army blocking his way to Warsaw, he was just disappointed. Janusz I arrayed his army on a small hill, overlooking muddy fields to the south - excellent killing ground for bolts of his crossbowmen. He commanded around four thousand men - knights, spearmen and pavise crossbowmen. Polish king had six thousand men under his command from which two thousand were peasant levies, rest - mounted crossbowmen and knights.

Duke Janusz sent message to Wladyslaw, in which 'old friend invited his majesty to a feast, to negotiate peace conditions, without unnecessary bloodshed'. Janusz I was indeed friend of Wladyslaw, when he helped him to throw off his brother Konrad from Polish throne. But King just laughed that idea, and told messengers that Duke have to prepare for battle.

Thus, next morning battle started. Knowing that muddy fields prevent straight attack tactic, Wladyslaw sent his lighter mounted crossbowmen at enemy flank, and ordered peasants to slowly advance at enemy positions. After several minutes Polish light cavalry reached enemy flank. Seeing huge Ducal standard, they aimed at Janusz and his guard.

Duke of Prussia suspected that by this maneuver, Wlasyslaw wanted him to spoil his defensive line, so instead of pursuit after royal light horsemen, he placed regiment of his pavise crossbowmen to face them. Hiding behind their large pavise shields, ducal marksmen quickly killed many mounted crossbowmen, suffering minimal losses.

Seeing that half of enemy crossbowmen were gone from frontal ranks, Wladyslaw finally decided to advance upon enemy with his knights. Relieved by view of advancing king, sergeant of royal light cavalry decided to simply charge at Prussian crossbowmen. In this moment Duke Janusz lost his confidence, he didn`t know whether to help his crossbowmen, or hold formation to deal with advancing Wladyslaw.

In few moments, Polish knights reached distance needed to charge enemy. Wladyslaw himself, leaded them galloping in front rank in the middle of formation. However, second regiment of Prussian crossbowmen noticed crowned figure, shouting orders to his knights, and all of them opened fire at Polish king. Many elite royal guardsmen were lethally shot, while Wladyslaw was unluckily grazed, loosing his left eye. But furious king and his knights kept charging, piercing, crushing, and trampling their foes.

At this point of battle personal skills, equipment and morale were counting. After long and bloody combat, royal forces began to gain upper hand. Finally, after death of Duke Janusz, and loss of their standard, Ducal army began massive retreat, and battle was won.

Victory at Warsaw meant end of Prussian army, but Ducal cities didn`t want to surrender easily. Till end of year, Wladyslaw was besieging key towns and castles of Prussia. At the end of December only port of Danzig was still defending - King left levies to finish siege, advancing with his knights east - to Lithuania.

During those months provinces of Samogitia and Greater Lithuania fell into hands of Duke of Kurland, and cities of Minsk and Grodno were besieged.

In the south, despite one small attack, Hungarians were passive, gathering their forces. Polish army under command of Jan Żółkiewski, successfully reached their destination. Captain was hoping that coming winter would stop countless Hungarian forces from crossing Carpathian mountains...

Default Re: Battle of Warsaw

i like. nice to have a completly different take on it!

+rep

Here comes second part cause there is small M2TW element there - small video

HISTORY OF THE WHITE EAGLE

Wladyslaw I the Fair-haired(Jasnowłosy)
    1458 - 1476

Part IV

With the beginning of year 1460 infantry based army of general Jan Żółkiewski was occupying fortified positions along Carpathian mountain passes. Young commander carefully chosen favorable ground for his troops. When snows started to thaw in March, scouts reported that huge Hungarian army was approaching through Dukla Pass.

Polish forces were heavily outnumbered, and morale of individual soldiers faded as they saw numerous enemy marching through pass. However, Jan Żółkiewski chosen place where pass went narrower, so that Magyar preponderance was countered. Young commander personally moved from sergeant to sergeant to give them orders. Cramped Hungarian soldiers died quickly under heavy, concentrated fire of handguns, crossbows, bows, and bombards. Glorious charge of Magyar knights changed into panicky retreat several dozen paces before Polish ranks, trampling their own footmen. Battle was won with minimal losses on Polish side, and Jan Żółkiewski earned admiration of his soldiers and foes alike.

Meanwhile in the north, king Wladyslaw hurried with his knights eastwards - to quickly defeat Duchy of Lithuania. Their march was considerably slowed by heavy snowing and wild, ancient forests they had to pass. King pressed his men to hasten, marching even in nighttime.

However, this hurry had almost led to disaster, when marching column fell in ambush of Lithuanians. Royal scouts missed sturdy Lithuanian woodsmen, hidden in thickets and surprised Polish army, despite quick victory, suffered considerable causalities. King Wladyslaw barely escaped with life, saved by his guardsmen who shielded him with his own body from lethal blows of axes.

Watch Ambush in Lithuanian Forests movie

But it was last attempt of Lithuanian resistance. Whole Duchy was conquered by end of February, Duke Zygimantas I died in battle.

With Prussia and Lithuania defeated only one enemy left in the north - Duchy of Kurland. Professional, modern Kurland army included gunpowder artillery and handgunners, and professional Pike militia. Wladyslaw decided to leave dangerous, but slow enemy forces in their advance into Polish territory, while his own army had to conquer coastal Baltic cities, to cut off enemy from supplies. In following months Konigsberg, Klaipeda, and Mitawa - Kurland capital - fell after quick assaults. Polish king hoped that Duke of Kurland would quickly agree on peace.

With the coming of Spring, Jan Żółkiewski had to repel two other, even more powerful Hungarian attacks. His skills and growing fame provided victories once again.

However Hungarians managed to brake through Polish-Ukrainian defenses in eastern part of Carpathian Mountains, and by the end of April they seized Podolia, opening themselves way into Polish mainland...

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

haha that battle map picture strangely reminds me of warhammer battle report pictures.
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

Indeed - It was White Dwarf battle reports which inspired me

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

heh, thought id seen this report.. thought i was in some eu3 section..

Well yes - it`s just rip off from my EU3 AAR, I posted it here cause there is M2TW elements in it.