Thread: Extending The Map

Default Extending The Map

Ok i'm probably opening a new can of worms, now i have my map working islan are showing how can i extend the map north into norseland i.e sweden
    and deos anybody have a full list of colours for the map_ground_types?

Thanks
    James
    All help will be apperiated and credited

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

Default Re: Extending The Map

here you go mate, go this info a while back when i started mapping

Fertile Low - Grey-Blue (0, 128, 128)
    Fertile Medium - Light Green (96, 160, 64)
    Fertile High - Olive (101, 124, 0)
    Wilderness - Black (0, 0, 0)
    Mountains High - Light Brown (196, 128, 128)
    Mountains Low - Brown (98, 65, 65)
    Hills - Olive-Brown (128, 128, 64)
    Forest Dense - Dark Green (0, 64, 0)
    Forest Sparse - Green (0, 128, 0)
    Swamp - Bright Green (0, 255, 128)
    Ocean - Dark Maroon (64, 0, 0)
    Sea Deep - Dark Red (128, 0, 0)
    Sea Shallow - Red (196, 0, 0)
    Beach - White (255, 255, 255)
    Impassable Terrain - Dark Grey (64,64,64)

*edited*
    Thanks for the additional colors Baxon7
    Last edited by B. Ward; June 13, 2007 at 04:00 PM.

and

Beach - White (255, 255, 255)
    impassable terrain - Dark Grey (64,64,64)

here is good help

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=50437

If you are using Photoshop or something that works similarly, you can use the canvas size function. Choose the appropriate water color for each map type as your background color and expand from the bottom up.

You can then draw the new landmasses into that space. Just remember to use double of whatever you add to descr_regions for ground_types and heights (or half if you work the other way around). Also, don't forget to edit the terrain text file so it shows the new size.
    Check out my Otherworld mod: A big fantasy map for Medieval 2, new playable factions and more! -Release 7 is now available-

so to change to the actual size i need to edit descr_terrain.

dimensions
    {
    width 295
    height 189
    }
    heights
    {
    min_sea_height -3406.782
    max_land_height 7511.272
    }
    roughness
    {
    min 50.000
    max 200.000
    }
    fractal
    {
    multiplier 0.500
    }
    lattitude
    {
    min 22.000
    max 56.000
    }

width 295 and height 189 are for the map_regions, do i need edit the heights, and map_type? in pixies?

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

yes, if you change the dimensions of your regions map you have to also change those dimensions to the same

Quote Originally Posted by bdotward View Post
    yes, if you change the dimensions of your regions map you have to also change those dimensions to the same
    how about the heights and map_type?

You will not need to make any text entries for the heights and ground_types, if that was your concern. Descr_terrain.txt only needs to show the size of the regions map.

On the other hand, if you were wondering about the dimensions of those two maps, then for instance, if you were to add 50 pixels to the top of regions, you would also need to add 100 pixels to the tops of ground_types and heights.
    Check out my Otherworld mod: A big fantasy map for Medieval 2, new playable factions and more! -Release 7 is now available-

Quote Originally Posted by Gundug View Post
    You will not need to make any text entries for the heights and ground_types, if that was your concern. Descr_terrain.txt only needs to show the size of the regions map.

On the other hand, if you were wondering about the dimensions of those two maps, then for instance, if you were to add 50 pixels to the top of regions, you would also need to add 100 pixels to the tops of ground_types and heights.
    So everything is double of map_regions what would be the best way to extend the map using photoshop pro?

In Photoshop, I would first select the water color used in the image as the background color. Then under image>canvas size I would click the bottom arrow in the anchor section. The canvas color should be set to the background (water) color. Under the height setting, after making sure it is using pixels as the measure, I would enter a new height.

When you draw new landmasses, it would be best to do so in heights or ground_types, since those are higher resolution files. If you draw the shape in heights, for instance, you can then copy and paste it into ground_types and recolor as necessary. After saving the large versions, you can temporarily reduce the size of one of those maps to 1/2 - 1 pixel (the same as regions), then copy and paste the reduced size image into regions and recolor the new region area to the nearest existing region color - pretty much like what you have already done with the island. Just keep the new area you have drawn and not all of the other height or ground information down below.

Thank you again gundug, i will just merge all 3 files into pne layer IE when i created that island and just work on top layer then drop the opacitydown and trace then expend all the size and map_regions to half the size of heights and types, would this be the same in climates as i would like to add iceland with snow and greenland over time.

sorry i get what you mean, would it be possible to click east arrow anchor section and expend atzecs etc and not mess anything up i know i would have to remove armys from the descr_strat file etc

EDIT: by the looks for it i will have to change all demensions:

13:44:28.671 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mymod/data/world/maps/base/map_roughness.tga' must have dimensions 590, 500

13:44:28.718 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mymod/data/world/maps/base/map_climates.tga' must have dimensions 591, 501

13:44:29.187 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mymod/data/world/maps/base/map_ground_types.tga' must have dimensions 591, 501

13:44:29.406 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mymod/data/world/maps/base/map_features.tga' must have dimensions 295, 250

13:44:29.656 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mymod/data/world/maps/base/map_trade_routes.tga' must have dimensions 295, 250
    Last edited by J@mes; June 14, 2007 at 07:47 AM.

I'm sorry about that - I completely forgot about the other images in the folder.

It is possible to extend the Aztec region just as you say. You can save your armies, characters and resources by going through the file and adding whatever number of pixels you extended the width of the regions map by to their x coordinates. It will be time-consuming, but probably quicker than having to enter everything from scratch.
    Last edited by Gundug; June 14, 2007 at 09:22 AM.

I have a new problem with setting the heights of my map_heights.tga
    first of all i set the new heights in both heights.tga and map_ground_types.tga
    from the default size of W: 591 and H:378 and extend it to W:591 and H:420
    and the regions W:295 and H: 210 (so half of the types and heights)
    so i delete the map.rwm and Heights.hgt the game returns to main menu

The log says:

17:22:58.437 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mymod/data/world/maps/base/map_heights.tga' must have dimensions 591, 421

the map_heights require 1 extra pixes so i have tryed hadding one extra to the cavan size to make it W:591 W: 421 (adding the extra pixes) and the game still hits me with this mesage even tho i have deleted the Map.rwm again.

how do i get round this?
    Last edited by J@mes; June 14, 2007 at 11:44 AM.

This problem is my fault, since I forgot to mention the other map files. If you adjust map_features and map_trade_routes to be the size of your regions map, they should be ok.

Also, map_climates and map_fog need to be the size of map_heights, map_roughness is double the size of regions (no plus 1 pixel).

yeah the map_regions map_features and map_trade_routes where okay

just that the log keeps asking say error

17:22:58.437 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mymod/data/world/maps/base/map_heights.tga' must have dimensions 591, 421

you see i'm using W: 591 and H: 420

it wants a H: 221 so okay i do this and still get the same error

'mymod/data/world/maps/base/map_heights.tga' must have dimensions 591, 421

That is a mystery to me. Can you upload that file? Maybe there is something unusual about it.

ok what i'll do is take one more shot at it delete the base folder and start again if theys is a problem i will upload my base folder

Thanks
    J@mes

I have my extended map working now i just restarted and it works?
    there are a few thing i would like to ask you about mapping

What is the limit i can reach on map_regions? and heights? for extending
    and will i need to set my own trade routes and would i need to set paths for armys to match?

one last thing how do i remove the reflections? this have something to do with the water surface file?

Thank you for all your help i will add rep, but i'm sorta maxed out right now.

I'm glad to hear it's working for you now!

The maximum size that I am certain will work is 510x510 for the regions map (1021x1021 for heights). I don't know if the trade routes file actually does anything. Trading seems to work fine without it. As far as I am aware, the pathing for armies is hardcoded - at least, I know of no way to give them actual paths to take. You can influence their movement by making settlements part of win conditions, and factions will always aggressively go after settlements that list them as the faction creator.

For the reflections in the water, the water surface file does control that. I have never tried adjusting the colors in that file to see what the result would be though.