Thread: What should we submit - final submission.

Default What should we submit - final submission.

In another thread, to start this discussion, i posted this:

We, the committee on forum expansion, find that idea of expansion is a viable option.

The first game that we looked at looks to be a great opportunity. Paradox Interactive makes products that have a similar kind of fanbase and require a similar site to what twcenter offers now. They have everything that total war games have as far as a community is concerned so it was looked at as the easiest expansion. Any site made for this has to be made in a similar fashion to twcenter.

Here are our key findings on paradox:
    Paradox has no large fansite for their game aside from their own companies site, we could attract people using mods and similar ways used to attract people from CA's site before twcenter was popular. Getting hosted modifications will be important.

CA may be upset with hosting a similar game so they have to be kept separate. We have to have two separate indexes for the forums and a separate front page. The indexes can have the same user database because the CC is important for the health of any separate fansite and twcenter as a whole. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98233 is an important link on this. These indexes should not show total war or paradox and visa versa. They should have all games related to that group, ONLY. However they should have the CC and probably the other twcenter forums as well. This is important for keeping gold status.

We have yet to decide on other games but the findings on this is certain and its a viable opportunity.
    Attracting new members and increasing the site's appeal
    Importance of Modifications: Its no secret that mods are important. However, looking a bit closer, the Paradox mod community appears to be much smaller than TWC, and the community appears to be somewhat mod-centric as TW community is. However, I would think that the modders are also the core of the Paradox community, meaning getting them here is almost equally important as it would be for a Total War site.

How to Attract Members: It is difficult to lure people over to a new site from an established community; in addition to the obvious promotional tools such as sigs, search engines, seeking out some recognition from paradox, as well as getting a mod community going, my feeling is we should not hide the fact that the new site is linked to a hugely successful fansite... this likely would not matter to the average joe member who sticks with whatever site he stumbles onto, but this is important I think especially for attracting mods and veteran members.

How to Attract Mods: In addition to declaring the new site hails from TWC, we should remember our unique advantages we give a fansite. There must be a promotion of the Wiki as a universal modding resource, the University as a non-TW specific modding place with obvious exceptions, SVN for mods, grassroots control (this committee for example is a good example), and professionalism, which I think is an part of all of the above aspects.

Style, appearance, function: Obviously we need a new skin and frontpage design. The sharing of databases has already been discussed. How will the rank, badge, and medal system be handled with the joint database? A technical consideration.

Content: When this committee is finished I think Hex should seek out TWC members who are part of the Paradox community or at least outside members who play Paradox games. Form a sort of focus group: what do they want to see at a new site? What keeps them as part of the community? Etc. Also, are we going to have Paradox equivalents of the ES? How is this going to get started?

Possible Staffing: Related to the issue of the ES, sort of. As far as moderators, I don't think it'd be an issue to get the first few from TWC, but perhaps we can seek out some prominent community members to moderate and administrate here. I'm least worried about moderators, actually; where do the Paradox people come in for the other aspects (content, administration, etc.)

Administration: Not the remit of this council directly I don't think but it can't hurt to give my opinions. Obviously there are security considerations. But at least initially I'd suggest Hex is very involved and open-eared with the Paradox site until it can choose suitable Paradox representatives to sit on the Council (same access as Speaker?). Or, make a Paradox council without administrative rights until Hex wants to give out the rights. But as I said, these are just suggestions, I'm sure this will be discussed in Hex extensively if it isn't already but I'm just giving my two cents, no need to respond to them one way or another.
    From reading this we have covered everything unless we find other games.

That is what was submitted earlier.

Unless we find something else than all we need to say is:
    No further games could be found to expand into. However, there are many possibilities out there. Everything, such as gold status issues, forums, site construction, was found previously when we were looking into the best example of paradox. Something needs to be done to determine what games are already popular on this site as a base for anything further to expand into. There needs to be a preexisting community already on this site and interest within the community so that any site could be established. Then that site would grow from there, this is the case for any game that contains a decent online community.

Games that contain a decent online community are usually long-running series or games with a long-time following. It could be a extremely mod friendly RPG like Neverwinter Nights or a multiplayer game like Starcraft, Counter-Strike, Age of Conan, or WoW. Any further expansion should also be into a game that doesn't have a end-all-be-all site or an up and coming game such as Starcraft 2 or Age of Conan.

I dont see what else there is to "submit" aside from that. If we dont find any other game that FOR SURE we should go into then that above is the completion of our goals as it fulfills everything this was created for.
    Please read that and come up with ideas for a final decision. It seems things are starting to die down so I feel the time is coming soon where we have to finish.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: What should we submit - final submission.

That proposal looks good.
    I think at the end we should just mention that maybe we might decide to expand into more games in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    That proposal looks good.
    I think at the end we should just mention that maybe we might decide to expand into more games in the future.
    It looks good,

I do however think that the forum layout etc needs to be discussed at some point - whether in the curia or here.

I would also recommend checking grammar and layout etc - its a major proposal in the curia so it should as professional as possible.

A note about the possibilities of oblivion down should be mentioned - most of us seem to agree that it is a good option for future expansion.

All in all I think we have done a good job even if some of us argued a bit to much
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

In general, I also agree with the statements by Kanaric and Elrond.

In terms of the idea concerning Oblivion expansion, we should note that expansion without direct linkage to TW content could also be benficial to the community.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

I do however think that the forum layout etc needs to be discussed at some point - whether in the curia or here.
    I think the layout of the forum discussion should include the people who work on the site so we know what is possible or not. I will include something like that.

edit: i'm going to start writing something based on this, if you have anything to add please do so.
    Last edited by Kanaric; June 15, 2007 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    I think the layout of the forum discussion should include the people who work on the site so we know what is possible or not. I will include something like that.

edit: i'm going to start writing something based on this, if you have anything to add please do so.
    My opinions are represented in the suggestion I made several days ago:

heres a suggestion

Two different front pages

the paraodx site uses a domain such as paradoxcenter.net which redirects you to a subdomain of TWC - e.g. paradox.twcenter.net - when clicking on the forums button it would automaticly load to the paraodx section of the 2nd part of the forum heirarchy.

the current home page would redirect people to a subdomain for TWC e.g tw.twcenter.net - when clicking on the forums button it would automaticly load to the TW section of the 2nd part of the forum heirarchy.

btw this forum is: Total War Center Forums > The Capitol > CVRIA > Curial Committees > Curial Committee on the expansion of TWC > Initial Objective: Which path should we take?

so imagine that the Paraodx homepage forums button loaded to - Total War Center Forums > Paradox

whilst the totalwar homepage forums button loaded to - Total War Center Forums > Total War

The current forum indexes (Total War Center Forums > ) would just be a choice between entering either halves of the site and would only be seen if someone clicked on 'Total War Center Forums >' whilst they were on the other part the site, because the Paraodox front page would direct users to Total War Center Forums > Paradox and the current front page would direct people to Total War Center Forums > Total War.

All it would require is a purchasing a domain such as Paraodoxcenter.net and setting it as a redirect to a TWC subdomain (e.g. paradox.twcenter.net) and then re arraging the forums organisation as to sperate the seperate parts of the site as much as possible - this would save allot of time for the tech staff whilst making it as seperate as possible, meaning that gold affilate status shouldnt be affected.

Does this make sense?

It would divide the site equaly and keep them seperate unless someone clicked on the first part of the forum directory they wouldnt enter the other halves of the site - thus meaning that the sites would largely be seperate in design etc whilst having none of the problems of two seperate sites with a joint user database.
    Last edited by Elrond; June 16, 2007 at 07:29 AM.

sorry for the double post - its to remind everyone that the committees mandate expieres on sunday - so we all need to agree on the final version of the report by then.

Content Emeritus

I would support either of the two.
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

This is our final submission.

There are many other possibilities out there aside from Paradox games. Everything, such as gold status issues, forums, site construction, was found previously when we were looking into the best example of paradox. Something needs to be done to determine what games are already popular on this site as a base for anything further to expand into. There needs to be a preexisting community already on this site and interest within the community so that any site could be established. Then that site would grow from there, this is the case for any game that contains a decent online community.

Right now, since we own the content for oblivion down, that is a very real possibility. Oblivion has a modding community and decent enough following to warrant a site. Also if we have their user database to form a mailing list we could email the former members of that site that its back but under new management.

Any sites need to have its layout discussed that includes the people who are interested in running that community and the people who know the game well. This needs to be done with Paradox and any other game that we try. Every game is different in what a fansite needs to be successful.

On the paradox site we suggest that the creation of this begins soon. There are a few new ideas regarding this community.

The paradox site should have its own domain obviously and its forums link should point to a subsection of the TW forums such as this like would portray:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3
    You could optionally do this with any game, including total war products. That way the first thing people see is discussion for that particular game and the forums are seen as dedicated to that game.

The separate main pages and sections of the forum will ensure that gold status is not affected.

All it would require is a purchasing a domain such as Paraodoxcenter.net and setting it as a redirect to a TWC subdomain and then rearranging the forums organization as to separate the separate parts of the site as much as possible - this would save allot of time for the tech staff whilst making it as separate as possible, meaning that gold affiliate status shouldn't be affected. I'm sure the people who control the hardware of the site know how to do this or something similar.

We believe the next step is to simply find the people needed to begin the creation of a paradox site and begin the construction. If there is any comments or questions please send and I will answer them based on our findings.

Thank you for allowing this discussion. We would like to know the opinions on our findings and what you plan to do as a result.

I'm leaving the technical aspects to them. They have full control of the server so we don't have to worry about that.

This is fully spellchecked.
    Last edited by Kanaric; June 19, 2007 at 02:10 PM.

Both this and the prevous report should be posted in the curia (I think constitution says in the proth), and titles need to be given to each part - e.g. the first one could be called "Commitees findings on a Paradox site" and this one "Commitees findings on possible future sites and possible forum layout".

They for obvous reasons should be posted in the same thread.

This idea will recive a hell of allot of opposition from all quarters (incuding staff) so commitee members who are civs should be ready to argue (whilst not posting like I occaionaly do).

I support the proposal and think it should be moved to the correct place as soon as possible.

Content Emeritus

I support this final draft.
    It should be moved as soon as possible.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash