Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tropical Settlements during Winter...

Indefinitely Banned

Hi Guys,

For the Broken Crescent mod we've extensively used the Tropical Climate types to simulate the "India" part of our map. Now the Indian settlements that exist there are a basically clones of middle_eastern settlements.

So when we besiege these settlements during the summer turn the battle loads up and we get to see a gorgeous eastern settlement with tropical fauna in all its beauty, excellent stuff - this is what we wanted.

Now end turn and move to the winter turn... and we do the same thing. Besiege the settlement again and loads up the battle and we check out the settlement. Only this time its not very nice. While the actual battle map itself is normal tropical the settlement that is chosen is actually the winter version! That is the roofs, roads, and buildings are all "snowy" white.

Now I tried this and instead put a north_european settlement in tropical climate and the same thing occurs. During the winter turn the game seems to like picking the winter version of the settlement so you have a snowy little town in the middle of a clearly tropical and green battlefied!

SUMMARY:
    Settlements in tropical climates are using winter/snowy settlement textures during winter turns. This only happens during winter turns, during summer turns the settlements are perfect.

Will post some pictures soon.

Any help will be credited to Broken Crescent.

Thanks
    MIRAGE

EDIT: Screens

Last edited by Miraj; June 13, 2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Merged double

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Tropical Settlements during Winter...

You guys have any ideas on this issue?

Trust me, if you ever plan to use european settlements in conjuction with tropical climates then you will run into this problem.

I agree that this is a problem. My own little mod has locations like this as well. For what it's worth, I will carefully look into it.
    Check out my Otherworld mod: A big fantasy map for Medieval 2, new playable factions and more! -Release 7 is now available-

Indefinitely Banned

Thanks Gundug.

Anyone else have any ideas about this? Once again, if you ever plan to use tropical climate in conjuction with non-mesoamerican settlements then the you will face snow-in-the-jungle.

Sorry 'bout pushing this, but its driving me nuts. Normally I can figure this stuff myself, but this one has me at a loss.

Indefinitely Banned

Another example of the problem. This time happening to ambient battlefield structures.

kelvintyk's Avatar Primicerius

Perhaps changing the region owner in descr regions?
    Baird: "Hey! Stop shooting it, you're pissing it off!"

Cole: "You're telling me what not to shoot in here? Look at this ****!"

Marcus: "More like 10 ****loads"

Marcus: "Hmph, they can eat **** and die for all I care..."

Something similar happened to me when i was making my own mod folder and hadn't copied all the files from the Data folder across correctly. All my battles in sort of desert locations (North Africa, Middle East etc) had blindingly bright areas on the ground and tops of buildings, especially large paved areas. The battles were completely playable except for this irritation. When i copied the entire Data folder again it went back to how it should be. It LOOKED like snow from a distance, in close it seemed more like a glitch of some sort. Don't know if this helps at all, but maybe the extra 'evidence' can help you solve your little mystery lol

Indefinitely Banned

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience. It might be a good lead, i'll check it out.

The reason why I theorized this to be "snow" is because it only happens during winter season. During summer, the settlements and other ambient structures look just as they should be.

Indefinitely Banned

Any help for this would be appreciated.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I havent exerienced this but I havent gotten into the battle maps too much. I havent noticed any climate settings specific to cultures though.

One thing I think I would try is editing descr_landscape_ambient_settlements.

The middle_eastern ones dont have a winter plan, so maybe it defaults to something else?

ambient_settlement eastern_ruin_02
    {
    type ruin
    plan eastern_ruin_02
    culture middle_eastern
    }

On the buildings that get that you might try inserting the different culture types, I would think that you could set a plan for more than one culture since it has a ... in the example but not sure as I havent tried it. Take this entry:

ambient_settlement hay_field_new_128_128
    {
    type child
    plan hay_field_new_128_128
    winter_plan hay_field_new_128_128_winter
    }

If that shows up on a middle_eastern settlement since there are no culture and climates listed it will probably always show snow in winter. I think I would try something like this:

Original Entry:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ambient_settlement farm_orchard_field
    {
    type farm
    plan farm_orchard_field
    winter_plan farm_orchard_field_winter
    children
    {
    hayfield_new
    olive_grove
    hay_field_new_128_128
    }
    }

Modified Entry:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ambient_settlement farm_orchard_field
    {
    type farm
    culture eastern_european
    culture northern_european
    plan farm_orchard_field
    winter_plan farm_orchard_field_winter
    children
    {
    hayfield_new
    olive_grove
    hay_field_new_128_128
    }
    type farm
    culture Middle_eastern
    climate tropical
    plan farm_orchard_field
    winter_plan farm_orchard_field
    children
    {
    hayfield_new
    olive_grove
    hay_field_new_128_128
    }
    }

Note that I removed the _winter in hopes of forcing it to use the normal image when the culture is middle_eastern and the climate is tropical. I cant test this right now as I am not at a machine that has M2TW, had to pull the text files by remote lol Might be worth a shot at least.

I have a suspicion and it probably won't help. Winter (snow) colours and effects in RTW are largely controlled by the geography.db file, that effects distant landscape colours and foreground grass effects so possibly roofs as well. Which colour is used depends on ground type and a standard deviation around it. I don't think you can alter that file in M2 because the time stamp problem requires it to be deleted.

Check if you are using same ground types as the american use of climate had.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I was wondering if anyone made any progress on this?

If not I might be able to change the timestamp so you dont have to delete that file to run the game, but I would need a copy of it.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

In the mod LOTR TW they use a script that prevents the winter season (the season is always the same) so they wont have snow in Mordor. Maybe the same can be done to M2TW. I dont know anything about modding M2TW and I dont know if it will fit your mod but this is just a suggestion.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Yeah but that doesnt work if you actually want winter battles. You can change prevent winter in a certain area by just changing the climate, the problem is the structures.

I am actually looking at creating a new culture based on southern_european but replace the stuff in the winter folder with the normal files.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

OK I dunno wtf is going on now, I have one tropical settlement that has snow in winter, and one that doesnt. I have changed everything so that they are now identical except for map_regions color and settlement name. Same climate, same ground_type, same faction creator.

Indefinitely Banned

Hey, sorry for neglecting this thread and thanks for investigating this.

Shucks, inconsistent errors are worse than consistent ones and that really sucks.

I have no clue what causes this. But for me its pretty consistent. Basically what's happening is that its causing "winter" to occur for tropical climates. Its nothing to really do with the settlements or ambient structures. Just go into winter turns and have a field battle in the tropical climate. You'll notice 2 odd things:

- Howling winds sounds - just like in a snowy winter in other climates
    - No grass - just like in other winter climates

So this leads me to believe its something a lot simpler, basically something is causing "winter" for tropical climates. Subsequently the game is reading this as winter and thus drawing on the winter texture files hence the settlements look white & snowy like that.

In contrast, other climates like sandy desert, mediteranean, rocky desert, semi-arid have no winter hence they stay the same always. Tropical for some reason is follow the pattern of other climates that have winter. If there was simply a way to force or fix tropical to simply follow the rules that these other non-winter climates follow then that would fix the problem.

Also, failing that, can someone guide me to how to stop winter from happening at all on the campaign and battle maps?
    Last edited by Miraj; October 24, 2007 at 10:34 PM.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Actually I can get snow in a settlement in the mediterranean climate too, not just tropical.

Indefinitely Banned

It's worse than I thought... this would be a perfect time to give Caliban a PM, but he's not with CA anymore is he?

I hate to ask this because you'll probably lynch me - but you did try the obvious bit and remove
    climate tropical
    {
    colour 0 166 81
    heat 1
    winter

strategy summer sparse_tree palm_small_A.CAS 8
    from descr_climates.txt didn't you? That wouldn't explain it appearing on Mediterranean though - but watch out for the next day condition in descr_daytypes I think you might be able to do something odd in that if you refer that to a daytype which belongs to another climate

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

We wont lynch you lol

There is a winter setting for tropical and for mediterranean because it changes the look of the vegetation. I am not having issues with the vegetation its the buildings/roads/ambients.

I also dont know why its different per settlement but I had a thought on it at work today that I will try later. First I am going to load that mod on another machine and see if its the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast