Thread: Your most favoirite SF writer and STILL alive !

cegorach's Avatar Artifex

Default Your most favoirite SF writer and STILL alive !

I am interested in websides of your favs too so please post links.

I am hard to convinc to read someone I have no idea about, but Jacek Dukaj is one of those few modern writers who really make me impatient for their new books.

Incredible imagination and ability to create very realistic worlds without writing 20 volumes of heroes' family history is a good start, but add impressive knowledge of subjects he deals with, perfectionism and unexpected endings which seem so fresh...

His webside

http://dukaj.fantastyka.art.pl/index_english.html

Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacek_Dukaj

Your choices ?
    Enemy of 'illiberal democracies', member of the B.A.L.T.S.
    VISIT Pike and Musket forums VISIT the amazing site about PLC
    under the patronage of the mighty ASTERIX

Default Re: Your most favoirite SF writer and STILL alive !

Only alive? ehhhh... I really like Philip K. Dick, but he's dead... Robert Bakker's alive and technically his Raptor Red is science fiction... it's about dinosaurs, but it can't be historical fiction... or can it?

Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com

Indefinitely Banned

I like hard SF and Fantasy so all of my suggestions are for adult readers.

Sci-Fi Space Opera / Planet Stories
    Neal Asher is very good - Cowl and the Skinner
    Alastair Reynolds for those who really appreciate a guy who knows his science - Chasm City is a favorite
    Ken Macleod - Star Fraction for those who like some politics in their SF

Cyberpunk or the god knowledge
    Bruce Sterling's Schisamatrix Plus is required reading
    as is anything by Neal Stephenson (including his historical fictions), China Mieville, and William Gibson.

Fantasy
    The Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker is life altering philosopy -
    Better than the Dune Series and almost better than the Dosadi Experiment but more Fantasy than SF.

Lt.Bradford's Avatar Domesticus

Dan Abnett, does the best stuff for the Black Library- Like the Eisenhorn or Gaunt's Ghost series.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

My favourite would be Iain Banks (Use of Weapons, Feersum Endjinn, Look to windward). Other writers I tend to keep an eye on are Alastair Reynolds (revelation space, absolution gap), Vernor Vinge (Peace War, Marooned in realtime, A Fire upon the Deep) and Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game, Speaker for the dead).

Edit: apparently Jack Vance is still amongst the living, so I'll add him.
    Last edited by Muizer; June 11, 2007 at 04:25 PM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Harlan Ellison. http://harlanellison.com/home.htm Great stuff.

"And I have felt the sudden blow of a nameless wind's cold breath,
    And watched the grisly pilgrims go that walk the roads of Death,
    And I have seen black valleys gape, abysses in the gloom,
    And I have fought the deathless Ape that guards the Doors of Doom."
    -Robert E. Howard "Recompense"

Roy Batty's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Bradford View Post
    Dan Abnett, does the best stuff for the Black Library- Like the Eisenhorn or Gaunt's Ghost series.
    I'll acknowledge that Abnett has a few moments of inspirational writing here and there but... you're really missing out on good Sci-Fi. Even Ben Bova is on a level above Abnett.
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Alexis A Gilliland

Although I admit that is on the strength of still enjoying 'The End of the Empire' now as much as I did 20 years ago - and being too lazy to track down the rest of his books (maybe I would hate him I ever collect the rest of his SF).
    Last edited by conon394; June 11, 2007 at 08:22 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Troy Denning and Orson Scott Card

I dont read the story books but I like to play the story game.
    My favorite SF writer now is Ragnar Tørnquist. I m waiting for his Dreamfall Chapters.

El Ron, the only real choice for best SF writer, and he transcends the categories of Writer, Prophet, and Douchebag, truely a man for all seasons.

Orson Scott Card and Harlan Ellson also like Dan Simmons alot even though not 100% scifi but loved the Hyperion novels.

Iain M. Banks. Favourite novel: The Use of Weapons. Favourite characters: Diziet Sma and Cheradenine Zakalwe.

Neal Stephenson. Favourite novel: The Diamond Age(I'm just starting The System of the World, though that isn't really sci-fi). Favourite character: Raven.

Dan Simmons. Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion (they're really one novel in two volumes). Favourite characters: Colonel Fedmahn Kassad and the Shrike (of course).

All of them are smart writers who can actually write (most sci-fi writers couldn't write their way out of a wet paper bag) and who produce novels of ideas rather than space operas or technogeek fantasies. Good science fiction explores real ideas and issues using a futuristic/comological canvas. Most sci-fi is just robot-and-space-ship fantasy for tedious Trekkies and Star Wars nerds.

Evariste's Avatar We are one, we are many

Would I be lynched if I admit that Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy holds a dear place in my heart?

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Well dead H.G. Wells but since he's...dead I'll have to go with someone else.

Don't really have a favorite but probably Orson Scott Card.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

Roy Batty's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Evariste View Post
    Would I be lynched if I admit that Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy holds a dear place in my heart?
    Not at all. I thought they were enjoyable; on par with (if not far better than) anything Lucas could have written to be sure.
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken

Dan Simmons would probably qualify as my favorite SF writer and still alive.
    http://www.dansimmons.com/

Though not strictly sci-fi; his sci-fi novels nevertheless are very good.
    As was mentioned in an earlier post The Hyperion series is outstanding.
    However perhaps my favorites from Simmons were Ilium and Olympos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander13 View Post
    Dan Simmons would probably qualify as my favorite SF writer and still alive.
    http://www.dansimmons.com/

Though not strictly sci-fi; his sci-fi novels nevertheless are very good.
    As was mentioned in an earlier post The Hyperion series is outstanding.
    However perhaps my favorites from Simmons were Ilium and Olympos.
    Three Simmons fans in the thread...not bad And yep the Ilium/Olympos books are really good too. While not scifi The Terror is also excellent. Gotta love scifi that doesn't attempt to dumb it down and avoid as ThiudareiksGunthigg pointed out Trek like space soap operas.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by danzig View Post
    Three Simmons fans in the thread...not bad And yep the Ilium/Olympos books are really good too. While not scifi The Terror is also excellent. Gotta love scifi that doesn't attempt to dumb it down and avoid as ThiudareiksGunthigg pointed out Trek like space soap operas.
    I've only read "Hyperion" by Simmons. I wasn't exactly tempted to read the sequel.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -