Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Gundug's Otherworld Mod

Default Re: Gundug's Otherworld Mod

Hi guys, I tried to install it, I followed the steps but when I launched the campaign, it came back to the menu, so I looked at the system log and it says that it is the descr_strat file that has a problem, please help me, it seems that I am the only one that has this problem?

Member of Rookie's Nook

Hello Velocitas, can you post the exact error message? Also, did you install the r0.01 or 0.02 version, and are there any other mini mods added to Otherworld?
    Check out my Otherworld mod: A big fantasy map for Medieval 2, new playable factions and more! -Release 7 is now available-

Hi Gundug, thanks for the fast reply, I didn't put any other mods, I think it's because I had mods before, anyway, here is the system log:
    15:42:24.359 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga.dds is missing
    15:42:24.359 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/unit_card.tga.dds is missing
    15:42:24.359 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/icons.tga.dds is missing
    15:42:29.046 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id aztec boat requested.

15:42:29.046 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2135, column 12
    Faction saxons not listed in playable/nonplayable header section.

15:42:29.046 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2135, column 12
    Failed to read faction info.
    15:42:29.375 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_slave.tga is missing

Actually, I downloaded your mod in the downloads section.

Member of Rookie's Nook

I think it's the latest version.

Member of Rookie's Nook

Yes, the version available here is the latest release. The alternate Filefront link has that and the older one available.

Those are some unusual errors. It sounds like it's trying to run from another mod's desc_strat since it's not reading the Aztecs and Saxons properly and seems to be trying to make the Slave faction playable. I'm taking a stab in the dark, but could there be any other data left over from another mod in what you copied to your otherworld.cfg file? Possibly there are two entries for mods listed under different [features] headings? Also, you can get rid of any io filefirst line, if it exists, since it will not be needed for the mod.
    Check out my Otherworld mod: A big fantasy map for Medieval 2, new playable factions and more! -Release 7 is now available-

Anyway, I'll just reinstall MIITW and I'll follow your istallation instructions again. Thanks for the replies.

Member of Rookie's Nook

kelvintyk's Avatar Primicerius

I'm giving the HRE dismounted chivalric knights, dismounted polearmsmen and musketeers. Hope they work.

If that works out well, maybe you can release a mini mod, Kelvintyk.

I've also added in hre archers too including those stated above. Trying to upload to filefront now.

1 thing I noticed. To play custom battles any needs to delete the custom map folder under otherworld/data/world/maps.
    That folder is empty but when I tried to start a custom battle I ended in the ocean!!!
    The I checked previous versiion and noticed that that folder didnt exist there and i could play custom battles.
    Therefore i dleted the custom folder on v2 and I can play custom battles now using default maps.

Nicely spotted, Gen_Lee! At one point, I had been fooling around with custom battle locations - I got rid of the contents of the folder to save some space. For future releases, I will either get rid of it completely, or set up some custom locations using my map.

Oh no wonder my swiss alps had an ocean on it. I started the battle and all my units died. I was like "What in the world? What is that ocean doing on the mountains????"
    Thanks for the info gen_lee.

Btw, Gundug, any ideas when your finalized map will be released?

I have a quick update on the map and I wanted to share some new files that may improve the mod for anyone who would like to try them. The map climates file has been completely reworked to be much more interesting and better looking (in my mind). It will be released along with revisions to the provinces, fixes, and anything else I can get done by the weekend (06.23 - 06.24, give or take).

Also, I have a link to new radar maps which I made in response to a suggestion from Stratego (so give rep where due). Included are two versions: one SCALE set that maintains the map's square aspect ratio and requires some scrolling vertically, and a FULL set that squeezes the radar map to fit in the rectangular preview space, so you can see the full map at any time. Another bonus is the new maps do not exhibit the zoom in bug of the previous larger files. All you need to do is rename the set you want to use to radar_map1.tga and radar_map2.tga and place them in your otherworld/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign folder (overwrite the original set or backup the old images if you like). This will not require a campaign to be restarted. The SCALE set will be the default for future releases, since it looks better.

Here is the link:
    http://hosted.filefront.com/Gundug

Edit: Kelvintyk, the map is coming along pretty quickly. The climates and ground types are mostly done. The slow part is going to be customizing each of the provinces and all their armies. Also, I might try to add the fortress island again, and that could add to more time if it gives trouble like for my last attempt. I hate set a date for sure, but if I can get all of that done this week, I might have a finished map by the weekend or maybe sometime mid-next week. I just want to spend some time playtesting pre-release to make sure everything is working ok before I call it done for certain though.
    Last edited by Gundug; June 19, 2007 at 08:09 PM.

So will the provinces still be 99% cities?

No, I am going to switch them for castles in locations where I think they will be good to have. I want to make sure the AI can take advantage of them and create good units. There should end up being a balanced mix of both types of settlements.

Alright, now the mod is making me crazy. I once said that my game crashed after rebel's turn at turn 41 or so. Then, i said i had managed to solve the problem, however, my happiness was shortlived. Now, it crashes every turn or so. I can hardly play my campaign now...

Kelvintyk, are you running unmodified files from the original archive, or have there been changes? Also, in the otherworld.cfg file, is there an io file_first line? If so, possibly it is reading a modified file (or files) from the main Medieval 2 data folder. I know that if you have rebel spawning enabled, the map will be terribly buggy - it used to crash constantly back when that was still in months ago.

How do i disable rebel spawning? As far as i know, you can only reduce their chances of spawning and can't actually totally turn them off. Coincidentally, all the random crashes were on rebel's turn.

I adjusted descr_rebel_factions so the lines for gladiator uprising, brigands, and pirates have been removed. I just left the region based lines in place. If your file has not been modified, and it is not reading a descr_rebel_factions from elsewhere, then it must be something else. I will keep thinking about what it could be.