Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gundug's Otherworld Mod

Default Gundug's Otherworld Mod

Gundug's Otherworld Release 7

This mod features:
    A large brand new fantasy map with lots of regions
    Playable Aztecs, Timurids and Mongols, with improved build trees and recruitment (especially for the Aztecs)
    A new playable fantasy faction: the Formosans
    Normans and Saxons added to the campaign, but not playable
    Reduced size battle banners
    Most buildings can be built by any of the factions
    Various little gameplay tweaks

New in release 7:
    REQUIRES KINGDOMS EXPANSION TO RUN
    Completely revamped unit stats based on training, equipment, class and faction
    Filled out the Formosan recruitment roster
    Added a proper Formosan logo to the campaign
    Completed storylines for each faction
    Revised text files to fit with the fantasy concept
    Added some of what I thought were the coolest Kingdoms units
    Added Kingdoms sounds for Chlipoctotl
    Added lots of new artwork - some from Kingdoms, some my own
    Each culture now has a unique interface
    Added unused resources to the map (camels, dogs, elephants)
    Improved starting conditions for Brotherhood of Wutis
    Added mercenary recruitment to taverns and up - each faction has a different selection
    Added some recruitment options to churches

Future goals:
    The mod still has some minor bugs, but seems pretty solid. It's fun for me to play and will hopefully be so for others as well. After spending 300+ hours on the latest revisions, I'm pretty much done in for now, especially with Empire Total War just released.

Current Version (designed to run with the Kingdoms Expansion):
    Release 7
    Get it here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1452
    or:
    http://files.filefront.com/otherworl.../fileinfo.html
    or:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/h3nn2u
    or:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/otherworld...orld-release-7
    Mirror (Google Drive) by Bagatur Sasha:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FBn...JWRSIl2_b/view

Modifications to Otherworld from other authors - functional with previous versions only:

Check out Ramtha's battle system mod for Otherworld (Latest version is compatible with r0.04):
    This minimod is a complete redesign of the battle system, and improves on the fantasy feel of the mod, with new names and stories - check just below this post for further details from Ramtha.

Ramtha's movement mod:
    http://files.filefront.com/movementr.../fileinfo.html
    This increases the movement rates of armies, characters and agents by around four times, and gives ships a boost of about nine times the speed.

Gen_Lee has kindly converted Juggernawt's English Redressed 1.1 and DisgruntledGoat's One Faction at a Time Project Byzantium for use with Otherworld (Latest version is compatible with r0.04):

Juggernawt's English Redressed 1.1:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1252

DisgruntledGoat's One Faction at a Time Project Byzantium:
    http://files.filefront.com/One_Facti.../fileinfo.html

For more details, the required battle models file, and installation instructions, check here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=217

Gen_Lee's adaptations of Darth's v1.43bmagic3, Naimad battle fixes v2, Mentor mod v.1.2 and Naval mod v1.1 can be found here (Latest version is compatible with r0.05):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=275

Gen_Lee's Real combat v1.21 final Edu for otherworld r0.06.
    Real combat release candidate v1.2 with grandViz Ultimate battle ai v1.1 can be found here (Latest version is compatible with r0.06):

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=304

Gen_Lee's Alternative combat ai for Otherworld r0.05.
    Real combat release candidate v1.2 with grandViz Ultimate battle ai v1.1 can be found here (Latest version is compatible with r0.05):

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=286
    An updated EDU to use with Real Combat v1.2 final:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=290

Gen_Lee's adaptation of Veltro's custom units (Latest version is compatible with r0.04):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=256

License:
    You are free to tear this mod apart, modify it as you like or steal any ideas from it to make your own mod without having to waste time asking me. Obviously, don't release something of your own and call it Gundug's Otherworld, since that would simply be foolish. If you want to give me credit for anything, that's fine. If you have questions about how you can modify something in Otherworld to suit your own taste, feel free to ask, and I will try to help.

Screenshots:
    Attachment 4093

Attachment 4094

Attachment 4095

Attachment 4096

Attachment 4097
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 15, 2021 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Added google drive mirror

Gundug ATTENTION!!! EVERYONE!!!
    As of july 13th, 2007, 2:25 pm, I have made a new add on for this mod, for version 0.4!

What this mod does:
    BATTLE Changes:
    1) melees last almost 4 times longer, defense increased on all units, and attack decreased.
    2) Elite units are purely dominant, they no longer struggle to beat non elites, 1 unit of feudal foot knights can take
    4 units of spear militia!
    3) Cavalry no longer spam the fields, now cavalry charges only kill about 6-12 men in a unit, then engage in melee.
    However, elite cavalry will beat elite infantry in melee, to balance this.
    4) Elite units have very very low numbers, and non elites have medium, militia have very high numbers, elites will still win.
    5) halberds and pikes no longer form spearwall or use secondary weapons, now they are mobile, offensive as well as defensive, fun to use, better against cavalry, the AI performs better with them, and are finally balanced.
    6) missile units are weak in melee.
    7) movement speed slowed down by 25%, more strategy.
    8) morale is realistic now, non elites rout very very easily, mid class units rout easily, and elites last a little longer, but will still rout if they know they'll lose, this impliments chain routs and forces the player to execute perfect timing in battles.

Campaign changes:
    1) Now uses mtw1 narrators in battle.
    2) All campaign faction voices use mongolian accents.
    3) characters, agents, and armies can travel 5 times as long now.
    4) all factions prefer naval invasions, expect ai factions to use lots of ships now.
    5) gunpowder available the first turn.
    6) rebelling characters disabled, characters no longer rebel.

Other Changes:
    1) All factions renamed to strange, exotic, fantasy names, this is now a true fantasy mod, all names made up by my strange mind.
    2) units renamed as well to fantasy names, to match their faction.

To install, download from here...

then extract the files from the rar to your main mtw2 directory, it will overwrite your current version of gundug's otherworld 0.4 version.

I have not tested this yet, report anything that goes wrong and I'll fix it.

Gundug, would you be able to put this in your first post.
    Last edited by Axe-Battler; July 13, 2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Merged double
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

preston's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Gundug's Otherworld Mod

i'm downloading this now myself. i'm excited to see this
    MEMBER OF S.I.N.

The map is like before Pangea was formed lol.

Tell me how this runs later guys I dont feel like being a guine pig
    The pleasure about a dream is that it's a fantasy. If it ever came real then it wasn't a dream.

preston's Avatar Semisalis

this mod is awesome i love the map freakin huge!

ok dude your hilarious
    hahaha you named the two norman towns
    daimler and benz
    hahahahahah dude this has to be the most orginal mod i've ever seen!

ok that is awesome all the cities i've seen so far are named after cars and car companys and car models thats awesome!
    Last edited by Trajan; June 13, 2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Merged double
    MEMBER OF S.I.N.

kelvintyk's Avatar Primicerius

Hi gundug. The formosan ranger units is invisible in the battle map. I've checked, i think you missed an entry for them under the sabadar militia in battle models. By the way, i guessed this from the outline of the invisible ranger unit. The UI cards for the formosan rangers is missing too. I hope you can tweak the campaign map movement range to fit your freakingly huge map. It takes ages for me to get to somewhere. Other than this....this mod is awesome and hope to see a better build with more units for formosans. Is there any fixed date for the next update??
    Thanks

Hello, and thank you to all for the fine complements! I wasn't sure if there would be any interest - now I know I had better start working hard to improve it.

kelvintyk, yes, you are right about the rangers - I was pretty embarrassed when I remembered I had not fixed them before releasing this. To be honest, the Formosans are pretty half-a--ed right now, but I'm trying to balance adding stuff to the map with doing cosmetic stuff.

preston, yeah, I'm kind of a car nut, so I decided to name every province after a company or specific car. My favorites are the Italian factions.

My goal is to get as much as possible done every week and hopefully have a release by each weekend. If I can steal enough free time, I will try to add units to the Formosan faction this week and upload a new version either Saturday or Sunday (6.16 / 6.17).
    Check out my Otherworld mod: A big fantasy map for Medieval 2, new playable factions and more! -Release 7 is now available-

Alright Gundag, will be looking forward to it. I'm pretty sure your mod would become popular if more advertising were done on it. Since we have been playing things the historical way for some time, perhaps a fantasy mod would be a good getaway from realism for some time. Nice aztecs cavalry though. Hope you can somehow make the mongols or timurids more scary looking. Haha, just a suggestion since from the looks of the campaign descriptions, mongols and timurids have more of a reptutation as will be large empires. They have to do some scaring to get things done. Keep up the good work mate!

Those are good suggestions. I'll try get the word out and also improve my signature so it looks attractive.

There already seem to be quite a few great mods devoted to improving realism. For myself, I have always had an interest in creating my own worlds and stories, so I went this route. I'm hoping for an alternate universe feel with a reasonable amount of believability.

I wanted the Aztecs to have cavalry of some sort, but not too heavy. I also didn't like the generals on foot - there hardly seemed to be a use for them since they were neither maneuverable nor tough enough. They would just be standing behind the fighting line doing nothing in every battle. My Aztec cavalry is best for hit and run and catching routers. They won't last long against heavy cavalry or good infantry.

I will have to see if there is anything I can do with the Mongol and Timurid textures. From testing, they both grow quickly, although the Moors, Milan and Egypt tend to become the greatest powerhouses. Strangely enough, Denmark has a huge expanse for the taking and hardly ever does much - maybe money is too tight for them.
    Check out my Otherworld mod: A big fantasy map for Medieval 2, new playable factions and more! -Release 7 is now available-

That i may have to disagree. The danes may not have enough money....possibly but there is a way to change that. The AI behaviour in descr_strat.txt. You should know that
    And well,the formosans are really lagging in units (they have no infantry!). I personally think that as a fantasy mod, you should add some new units with a "fantasy" feel to it, possibly add them to the formosans if you create any.
    And to make units look more intimidating, i feel the best way is to give the models face mask used by mongols and timurids as well as dismounted dvor for the russians. Besides, i find the settlement names named after cars pretty interesting.

I have some questions though,
    1) will you be adding any other new factions?
    2) new regions? try to keep to the cars name.....its unique
    3)new units? (skeleton warriors?) If so will they be implemented all at once or slowly bit by bit with updates that would not need the player to restart campaign.
    4) When will be the fastest possible update?

I know the posts is lenghty but i really need a fantasy mod to getaway from history for awhile. I'm expecting something good
    I may not play until a "full" build is ready. But still enjoying aztec cavalries in custom battle.
    And i know text editing...perhaps i could help out
    I could help in advertising too....but need a sig.

I also did a test on the campaign. 1st i reduced the aztec unit recruitment cost to 0 and increased the replenishment rate for them (to speed up test; hope you don't mind). I kept pressing end turn. And up till turn 40 odd. The aztecs had 10+ full stacks hanging around their island and did not build any boats at all. I thought you might have missed out the aztecs from the ports in the EDB file so i went to check but it was there. I had no idea why the Aztecs are so passive. By then most of the other factions had a few full stacks and and a large empire and a few fleets. Perhaps you should look into it. I sure don't wish to go to their island and simply comquering 3 of their provinces and ending their reign. They should expand too.
    Perhaps the aztec behaviour is hardcoded?
    In my current SS campaign, i gave ports and cogs to aztecs. But up till now, turn 117, they have huge cities and not a single boat. Wonder if their behaviour could be tweaked.
    Last edited by Trajan; June 13, 2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Merged double

EzE's Avatar Libertus

This looks awesome - great work - I look forward to playing it tonight after work. Please keep working on it - I have been looking for a fantasy mod for a long time.

Thank you!
    "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of freedom." - John F. Kennedy, 1961
    :usflag:
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

My guess about what is happening there is that the original Aztecs, i.e. vanilla, had no boats. Maybe their AI is working in such a way as they feel they still don't have boats.

Did you like my post? If so + rep please

I don't know. Hope Gundug can work a way around it.
    I've been looking into it but no matter what i do the aztecs just won't build boats.
    Last edited by kelvintyk; June 12, 2007 at 12:29 PM.

I will have to look into the faction behaviors more closely. The worst offenders for sitting around and doing nothing are the Sicilians. In every campaign I have run, they never set foot off of their island. In one case, the Aztecs did take some Timurid land. One possibility I want to try is placing some boats on the shore with nearby armies. That might generate a mission goal to take a settlement. Giving them some new target settlements in the victory conditions may help as well.

I had not been planning to add any fantasy creature type units, but if people want them, I will see what I can do. My modeling skills are not all that good though. If I get enough done with the other parts of the mod, I may try adding another faction or two. There is definitely space for them. I have to see how well I can do with the Formosans too.

I encourage anyone who wants to change my files around to suit their own tastes to feel free to do so. I will be happy to assist as much as possible with any questions related to that.

What I love about this mod is that it reminds me of heroes 2 of might and magic, my favorite game of all time.

Map wise, and seeing the names of settlements it reminds me so much of that except you get to add the 3d battles of mtw2 to an awesome map.

Europe/north africa/and western asia gets really boring.
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

Seleucus I Nicator's Avatar Campidoctor

Looks really original. Downloading it and will give it a shot.

The sicilians in my campaign have taken nearly the entire bosphorus, all the way to Thessalonica. And the idea of giving the aztecs boats at the start is a good idea to spark off their conquest.

Just a quick update on the static Aztecs and Sicilians. I made a small fleet for each faction with a nearby army, additional target settlements in the win conditions and added ports. They are now very aggressive with shipping and immediately move to conquer settlements. The Aztecs are quick to expand, since it's all rebels near them anyway. The Sicilians have a much tougher time with Milan and Portugal so close, but they seem to do ok.

I have also added in some regions on the Western side of the map, so the gigantic super-regions in that area are disappearing rapidly. If all goes well, most of the remaining spaces should be filled throughout the map by the weekend (06.17). Completing that, resources, additional land types and an improved climate map will follow.

Just a question Gundug, will the following updates that are going to be released in future be save game compatible? Cause i really can't stand the temptation............i need to play it but i don't wish to restart campaigns. Thanks for any valuable info given.

Hi, Gundug, i've got some requests regarding the campaign map. Do you know there is a lake surrounded by an arc-shaped land on the aztec's island? I was thinking that if you could heighten the mountains around the lake and leave a opening at the tip of the mountain ridge for boats to enter and leave. Then perhaps place the port at the other tip of the ridge. Then this is like a huge natural mountain formation used for a port. Then perhaps on some isolated sea areas you can add another island pretty much the size of the aztec's island that is round in shape. Then have mountains around the edges of the island and leave a gap for ships to enter and dock (the one and only place). Thus, ships that plan to sent troops to attack that island have no choice but attack it from the main entrance, since the edges are blocked by mountains. With a settlement there (a huge city or citadel perhaps?), it can act as some sort of sacred ground that all factions aim to aquire. This island could be in control by the formosans, they seem to have a "sacred" and "fantasy" feeling to them. Whats more, as a sacred ground, it should be heavily fortified and difficult to breach by the human player. Which makes the formosans fit the bill more. Since their units mainly consists of missile units, the settlement will be hard to take by any human player. This suggestions could add spice and fantasy to the game (in my opinion). So i hope at least one of this requests could be implemented. But if you find it too much a hassle then just forget what i said.
    CHEERS
    Last edited by kelvintyk; June 14, 2007 at 05:31 AM.

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast