Thread: this mod is unbalanced

Default this mod is unbalanced

hello i started my first campaign with the darthmod... some aspects are very good like the longer battles or christian vs muslim alliances. BUT i dont understand why the building times doubled and the pop growth wasnt decreased! cities are growing very fast to huge size and still having tech1 buildings... its some kind of unrealistic how fast cities grow in 2 years. And you get too much easy money within the turns... this mod doesnt seem like a good challenge to me! Another unbalanced thing is siege equipment. i was attacked by an army who outnumbered me 3,5:1. i had wooden walls with archers and the ram takes much too long to break down the gate. okay the gates go down too fast in the original game but this is much too long because the ai units are waiting within tower range. my towers and archers killed 80% of the enemies before the gate was down and the rest of the battle was no challenge at all... i think cannon towers will completely destroy this long waiting army!

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: this mod is unbalanced

@nik2063.....welcome and glad you are liking some aspects of the mod. An answer to some of your points.

1. If you decrease population growth, then you will have smaller armies fighting battles, as the AI will only send piecemeal armies. Your arguement about building times increased causing population growth does not make sense.

Medieval cities were overcrowded and small (land size) by todays standards. I'm not sure how slow a city should grow over two years? How fast are cities growing now, they are just right. High population growth ensures you think about your town being a military town, or a civilian town. You need to think outside of the square and be ready to use your mind instead of immediately conquering provinces.

2. The siege equipment is perfectly done by Darth. Do you really think that ram a gate down took 10 hits? It should take as long as it does, but I see your point about AI losses. However these early losses with "fodder" troops is acceptable as their armour is either non existant or light. You will not kill that many when the troops are fully armoured, I can assure you of this!

Mig el Pig's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    @nik2063.....welcome and glad you are liking some aspects of the mod. An answer to some of your points.

1. If you decrease population growth, then you will have smaller armies fighting battles, as the AI will only send piecemeal armies. Your arguement about building times increased causing population growth does not make sense.

Medieval cities were overcrowded and small (land size) by todays standards. I'm not sure how slow a city should grow over two years? How fast are cities growing now, they are just right. High population growth ensures you think about your town being a military town, or a civilian town. You need to think outside of the square and be ready to use your mind instead of immediately conquering provinces.
    He's not saying that the increased built time also increase the pop growth. He's just saying that he can't build much of tier 1 while his town easily reaches tier 3. (don't build farms in the beginning is my only advice in this case)

ehm yes whats realistic in having huge cities maybe 30 years after the beginning? this never happened in history that every small town went into a huge city... i played a mod for rome a while ago where pop growth was decreased to realistic amounts so that only a few cities can get real huge. i am complaining that u dont have time to build other buildings because the cities grow too fast. and because u have to wait so long to finish buildings and the ai christian factions dont attack each other for ages u get nearly unlimited amounts of gold before the "real game" starts.

another thing i disliked: the battles are much slower now but the battle limit remained the same. everybody knows that u cant disable battle limit because of the ai bugs in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nik2063 View Post
    another thing i disliked: the battles are much slower now but the battle limit remained the same. everybody knows that u cant disable battle limit because of the ai bugs in the game.
    That was actually fixed in the 1.2 patch.

Wind.Trees.Fire.Mountion-風林火山→http://wtfm.exblog.jp

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Wiggum View Post
    That was actually fixed in the 1.2 patch.
    what was fixed? the passive ai? no !

try to get attacked by timurids and the game starts a bug party... it happened to me that the army did not retreat but i had destroyed all siege equipment... because i had too few men to attack the elephants outside i had to speed up the game until the battle limit was over. another bug is that 2 armies attack you and the attacking army dont get a hole in your wall before retreating. result is that the reinforcing army is standing on the other side of the town doing nothing and only 6x speed helps again.