Thread: Specific Unpacking - UI, Fog, Campaign Banners

Default Specific Unpacking - UI, Fog, Campaign Banners

Hi everyone,

Perhaps someone could give me a hand with unpacking certain specific files? I've had a look at the documentation which came with the unpacker and have been unable to get a result conducive to my needs.

I want to unpack only the files I need to make changes to the UI - faction symbols, menus, in-game interface/HUD etc. and any text files I also need. A bonus would be any information on changing the symbols which appear above unoccupied settlements and on campaign map banners - I will also eventually wish to change in-game banner textures, but this is not my main concern.

Could someone give me a list of the files I need and, preferably, step-by-step instructions in layman's terms? I'd also appreciate finding any information about the way the game generates fog and which files it refers to - I'd like to unpack and fiddle with these as well.

If this is too much to ask I'd happily be redirected somewhere else to have my query answered.

If clarification is needed, please say so and I'll provide more information. When I've got the UI sorted out I'll be able to release more shots of my map

Yours,
    Ilsamir Lord

PS - I'm using a fairly bare-bones mod folder (based on the Basic Europe Map by Selenius4TSD) and I simply wish to add the files I need on a case by case basis as I'm a little paranoid about my, somewhat limited, hard-disk space. That's why I don't simply unpack the whole data folder.

Default Re: Specific Unpacking - UI, Fog, Campaign Banners

Okay.

First use the list_contents batch file to produce that listing. Then read off the files you want (it shoudl be pretty obvious, but since I don't have M2TW installed right now I can't give them to you) and use the --filter command to extract specific files.

The best way to do this would be by copying the unpack_all.bat file, opening it in notepad and adding that command at the end. Remember that * is a wildcard; identify the common naming system of the files you want and wildcard the rest to get them all.

I'll give you more detailed help in a few hours, if you need it, once M2TW has been installed.

You'll probably want something like --filter loading_screen_symbol*.*
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

Thanks mate . I assume "wildcard" means that adding * will mean any file with that name, regardless of suffix, will be unpacked?

It means that any file with a matching string, replaced by the wildcard, will be unpacked.

For example:

teach* could mean teach1, teacher, etc.

b*r could be bear, beer, bar etc.

chicken.* would pick up chicken.exe, chicken.tga etc.
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

Okay, I've managed to extract a bunch of banner symbols! Thanks for the help Sapi, it's much appreciated . Now all I need to do is work out how to make alpha channels display. Does anyone have any ideas? At the moment I've got my layers, then channels displaying in RGB and I don't know how to call up the alpha viewing thingy . None of the tutorials make it very clear, so is there some simple switch to be made in "view" or something?
    Last edited by Ilsamir Lord; June 10, 2007 at 09:17 PM.

Alrighty. As I say I managed to extract a bunch of banner symbols, and now I'd like to have a whack at the menus.

I'm currently using this command line:

unpacker.exe --source=..\..\packs\*.pack --filter=symbol128_*.tga

but to no avail - I just would like to get my own faction icons in-game

Okay, ignore that last post, if you haven't already . I've now managed to get the files I want and will begin editing.

PS - I've managed to get my main faction's symbol displaying on their banners , but unfortunately it is surrounded by a white box - see below:

I'm sure this is an alpha-channel issue, but I'm not sure what can be done about it as I can't even work out how to get to the alpha channel in PS.

Ok, well I've worked out all I need to and have got 3 banner symbols in-game. Thanks for the help people , now I'll be making a new thread in a more specific forum to go on about my problems

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Nice logo Ilsamir Lord! It made the transition to the small size very well I see.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.