Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Darthmod battle changes for SS wanted?

Default Re: Darthmod battle changes for SS wanted?

I could use some feedback on pikemen now, here's the EDU.

I mostly tested with pike militia and tercio pikemen, and filled in the rest accordingly.

It might seem like cavalry toss them around too much when they get into melee, but it's necessary to make their rear appropriately vulnerable to cavalry charges.

A unit of tercio will be wiped out by even light cavalry if they can make a formed charge straight into their backs.

The biggest problem is that pikes are capable of turning on a time, and engaging units that flank them, which is why it's necessary to make the shock damage from charges extra strong.

IMO they need their prices adjusted too, but they need to be tested in the campaign to decide the best cost. Ultimately I'd like to see the Real Combat cost structure used.

Im also posting my buildings file, not sure if its necessary. It's modded to make light swordsmen and macemen recruitable, increase the free upkeep slots on castles, and I also made horsebreeders guild available in castles, and fixed the swordsmiths guild HQ. If you dont care for the changes, ts, I dont have another one.
    Last edited by Lumberjack; July 12, 2007 at 03:58 PM.

Hi Pinko,

Thanks for your hard work on this.

Unfortunately I'm getting CTD with the descr_unit file when the game is loading.

Is there anything else we need to do apart from overwriting the original file?

Yes, you need DarthMod OS26. In an earlier post I made a list of files I DIDNT copy from darthmod to my SS folder.

I'm also using UAI + CNP, instructions and files are in another thread, I dont think that should matter, but just fyi.

Thanks, I'll check that now

Hi,

Just tested both tercio pikemen and venecian pike militia vs french lancers.

Tercio men are holding the line vs a front charge and inflicting heavy casualties and getting beaten vs flank and rear charges, as it should be.

Venecian pike militia is having a tough time vs front charges, needed to put them in very deep formation to able to withstand a front charge, they were able to inflict moderate casualties vs the lancers, I find this ok.

Good Job!

I was hoping someone could test them in more realistic, supporting roles. Right now theyre balanced to be capable in pure pike vs X situations, but I'd like to hear what people think when used more tactically.

Can't play campaing or huge battles right now because of time.

I'll give more feedback later

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't believe this.

I've been trying to merge KK's .db file over Darths one for aaaaaages, and getting confused when it wasn't working. Getting frustrated, I sat there thinking 'what on Earth did Darth change in this file to make it so wildly different?'

Want to know the answer?

He did absolutely nothing...its identical to Vanilla in every way except ONE line.

In other words, I've been spending all this time merging KK's texture paths into a vanilla file, but leaving the vanilla numbering in place and wondering why its not bloody working, when all I had to do was completly ignore Darth's db file altogether and just use KK's as it was!

I say again...aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyway, its done. Gonna make a new post with the details. I've looked at Pinko's modified EDU and made a few small modifications - only with regards to unit costs to bring it in line with SS default, unit values are as Darth/Pinko have made them. I've not touched descr_buildings - just left it as KK intended. If anyone wishes to change those or use Pinko's one, feel free.

Any changes Darth or Pinko make to their respective EDU's I'll incorporate on that thread and keep it updated.

Hope this is all ok. Cheers again Pinko for the EDU

Shaeff

PS: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh
    30 Mis-spellings of Shaeffer and counting!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234