Thread: Terrain Editing Problems (Resolved)

Default Terrain Editing Problems (Resolved)

Files used:

map_regions.tga
    map_ground_types.tga
    map_heights.tga

Files Deleted

map.rwm

I have been following the tutorial from
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...t=92896&page=2 (in case anybody where wondering)

This is what i have attemped:

1).Place all three map_regions.tga map_ground_types.tga map_heights.tga into photoshop pro (cs2)
    changed all sizes to 1021 - 1021 (using nearest neighbor setting) pixes see here:
    (please uploaded in logic order)

2) Now all files have been sized to the same size i place them into one layer:

3) I'm going to place an island near the caribbean which will be part of the caribbean province
    using a colour of 16,16,16. now using pencil tool i paint the island to map_heights.tga

4) Now copying the colour of caribean province with the eyedropper too now I set the opacity to
    35 on the map_heights layer then select the map_regions layer and now paint the new island the same colour
    as the caribbean

5) Now i set opacity of map_regions to 35 again and select map_ground_types layer to trace from map_regions
    layer i am using colour 0,0,0 on map_ground_types now paint my island.

6) I set all of the opacities back to 100%.

7) I now place all layers from the main layer back to thier orignal layers select merge down and resize to
    orignal which where map_regions.tga 295 , 189 map_ground_types.tga - map_heights.tga 591 - 379 then save
    back into base folder

8) last of all i delete map.rwm and start the game... and it crashes

Please could anybody tell me what i have done wrong? or an easy method to adding land mass.

Thanks James

Last edited by J@mes; October 25, 2008 at 01:21 PM.

Default Re: Map Editing Problems

More space needed here for pictures

Default Re: Terrain Editing Problems

I'm not certain I follow everything you are doing, but it you seem to be performing a redundant step in resizing everything to 1021x1021, since your end map_heights and ground_types will be 591x379.

I suggest, after you have finished those two files, which I believe you have, then taking map_heights and resizing it down to the 295x189 size (don't save) , and then copying and pasting it into the map_regions file. You can use that shape (after converting water to the proper color and land to a single color to get rid of the height information) to then build your regions.

I would start by making all land just one region and see if it will run. If so, you can then gradually add in regions. If you create a bunch of regions at once, there is a great chance that some of them will have problems, and since the game does not provide helpful error messages for this, it will be extremely difficult to track down and fix them.
    Last edited by Gundug; June 08, 2007 at 02:01 PM.

so your saying to resize map_height and ground_types to the same size as map_regions when editing? and resize them to their orginal size when complete?

How do all you map editors edit your maps (i.e terrain)

I create map_heights and terrain_types at the maximum size that will be used and leave them that size from then on. Once I have defined the shapes of all land and sea, I then make a reduced size version (1/2 size -1 pixel) that serves as the base for map_regions.

For adding in new provinces, I like to overlay (at the same resolution as regions) the heights and sometimes ground types as transparent layers in the regions file so I can be sure settlements will not be in an invalid location. I get rid of those layers when done, of course.

where would be the best place to upload my base files?

ok i have upload my base folder maps if anybody is intrested in helping

Thanks

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil.../JMed-rar.html
    Last edited by J@mes; June 08, 2007 at 02:28 PM.

For other mappers to check out, you mean? I find filefront to be easy to work with.

I have uploaded my file on Filefront just search for theLustFull:

I'm sorry, my search did not find anything. Do you have a link to the page available? If so, I will try to check it out when I get home tonight or tomorrow morning.

ok i think i may have done everything right this time the game only cut to the main menu so i checked the log file for my mod and...

11:52:21.296 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    11:52:21.296 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Apr 23 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2-84 (37970) ===
    11:52:21.390 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    11:52:21.421 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    11:52:21.484 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    11:52:21.515 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    11:52:21.531 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    11:52:21.578 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    11:53:36.359 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mymod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 169, column 32
    resource timber positioned on 199,57 which is an invalid tile.

11:53:36.484 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mymod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1080, column 5
    Settlement specifies port, but this region is not allowed a port - can be ignored,but port building will not be created for settlement!

11:53:36.484 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mymod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1080, column 5
    could not create settlement at script line 1080.

but the thing is this is a clean installation of mymod and the only thing i have added in the gam is an island

like in the picture below, i have not editied or changed any resources or other settlements what with this?
    if anybody would like to help me and put me out of my misery here is a link
    http://hosted.filefront.com/theLustFull

In your map_ground_types, the color for your island is 1,1,1. As fara as I am aware, that is not one of the allowed colors for that map. 0,0,0 for wilderness, or one of the other colors shown should be ok. Also, in map_heights, the land has an elevation of 16,16,16 from the shore to center. I think it should work ok, but you will find extremely steep bluffs all around the perimeter.

The timber error can be fixed by changing the coordinates, so that's easy.

The port error is probably being caused by the settlement having a port defined, but the regions map not having the white port dot for that area (assuming it is a coastal region).
    Check out my Otherworld mod: A big fantasy map for Medieval 2, new playable factions and more! -Release 7 is now available-

so i can just changed the coords inside desrc_strat? the island is part of york and york as a port already.

Yes, you can change the coordinates for that resource in the resource block of descr_strat. For the port problem, is York the settlement in line 1080 of descr_strat? If you have a text editor that counts lines for you, that will be helpful, since it may be a location unrelated to the new island/York region.

Actually, taking a look at your regions map again, 199,57 is on located on Crete (if I'm not mistaken) right next to a port. Possibly there is a strange conflict there. I suggest you try either moving or getting rid of that resource and see if the port problem goes away.
    Check out my Otherworld mod: A big fantasy map for Medieval 2, new playable factions and more! -Release 7 is now available-

ok, strange tho i never touched the resources in the game on crete so how would be the best way to get round this?

EDIT i have checked the file and line 1080 says
    building
    {
    type castle_barracks mustering_hall
    }

- I have not edited the strat file

I agree that is a strange thing, but I seem to recall the map doing some weird things for me of a similar nature a while back when all I did was extend the limits - not resizing anything.

I think a quickie fix would be to make a backup of the descr_strat so you can restore changes/removals if necessary, and then do a search for the resource at 199,57. You can just delete that line for now, save and run the game.

Regarding the line 1080 error, you can check a bit higher in the code to see which settlement block that corn_exchange is appearing in. Possibly the code for the problem port is just above or maybe below the market line as well and that just where the parser is stopping.

Thank you Gundig my island is know showing but the shores sorta look weird but its working

Thank you
    J@mes

i will remember to hit you with rep asap

Default Re: Terrain Editing Problems (Resolved)

I'm glad it's working now. Good luck on the rest of your mod! For the land edges, Uranos' post in this thread should help (you have probably seen it before, but it might be good for another check):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96090