Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aragon

Default Re: Aragon

Quote Originally Posted by ME2_junky View Post
    I changed the proposed building tree by a word

But I think, regarding the javilnmen...that Leon-Castille should get Basque, Aragon can have Almugavars
    & Portugal can have Lusitanian.
    Not because it is 100% accurate, but rather for diversity and uniqueness in factions.

Basque should be "tougher" as in a point or two in defence more & higher moral
    lusitanian should be cheaper
    almugavars should be probably as they are.

How about it?
    I disagree here. The tradition of Javelinmen goes much before in the regions of Lusitania. The fact that they would remain slightly superior to the standard javelinmen in about one point but with the same price as a standard javelinmen(as they are now) reflects this very ancient tradition that in a realistic terns would also provide very good learning techniques and culturally how much the population is involved in it. In fact, this tradition of the javelinmen in Lusitania also applied to horserider javelinmens(jinetes) and they were the creators of the famous "cantarebian technique". The tradition of the javelin is much older and enrooted in the region of Lusitania. Second, another indication of this is that during the roman invasions, when the Lusitans used "gerilha" techniques that were composed of hit and run attacks that involved javelinmen in large and small groups, depending on the occasions, but very frequently and in much more "javelin" based ways and tactics than the other tribes in east and northeast of Iberia.

In this case, the guys in CA did not mistake themselves concerning javelinmen.

One thing that the Lusitanian Javelinmen should have as superior is both morale and attack. I'm not certain about defense, but the defensive equipment used in the early middle age by Portuguese javelinmen wouldn't be that advanced, probably they used that they had immediately available to them. This tradition of course, remained untill the middle ages.

What if we do things this way (mostly focussing on gameplay but with some historical background):

Basque Javelinmen: Standard price, extra defense

Lusitanian Javelinmen: Standard price, the rest remains as it is in vanilla.

Almugavars: Unique for Aragon.
    Last edited by numerosdecimus; June 09, 2007 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuiis View Post
    I agree that with Vanilla map, having 4 factions in the peninsula would be a bit too much. But lets remember that in SS there's more provinces in the iberian peninsula. I think that with 3 or 4 more regions (from Vanilla's map) should be enough to increase zone's game play. I always put this example that no one seems to argue against me:

In Italy there are 5 factions!!! not 3, 5!! in vanilla!!! HRE, Sicily, Papal States, Milan, Venice. Does that make those factions unplayable? I think not.

I made a map of a possible region arrengement so that each faction has atleast one rebel province next to it to invade. It is also fairly historically accurate if thats something you care about (Its the first time I use image shack...)

Green & White=Rebels
    the rest of factions you can guess i believe
    http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/7...sulamapei1.png

It is just an approx. as to how the zone could be worked out. Then just making starting cities and armies of diff. factions stronger or weaker could solve the problem of unbalancing. I dont think the real problem would be a supposed overcrowding of the zone! But then again its just my opinion...

The Papal States do not count. HRE has the entire of central Europe to expand. Sicily has Africa and Venice pushes East while Milan can go north, and south to expand if you choose to develop a naval power. Even with the extra provinces in the Iberian it is still too tight. While Italy is crowded there is much more room there.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoner View Post
    Yes. Thats what King Kong said himself when everyone voted for a new faction for the 4.0 version of Stainless Steel. You already have three powers within the Iberian with only two provinces that are open to take. Now the Moors have Africa to expand. But in order to add Aragon you would need to give them Barcelona and either Zaragoza or Valencia. If you gave them Zaragoza you would have to give the Spainish Valencia and give them or kill el Cid, to keep it balanced.

With four factions there isn't much room to expand so you can't get a good money and recruitment pool. When the Moors take all of west Africa the Catholic factions won't have what they need to resist them.
    Well in a way you are correct...but historically the crown of Aragon took Valencia & headed towards Italy...as in Baeleric Islands, Sardinia & Sicily....So technically there is where to expand in the current setting as well...but potentially another region in the continent, perhaps between Valencia and Cordoba...

In any case I feel that it can be done...similarly to facilitating regions for the knights templar...

In reality there were MANY more regions in spain...adding another one or two in the game will definitely give a challanging play for whoever plays Aragon...as Leon-Castille have to be appeased while fighting the moors & or avoiding trouble with France...

But at the end of the day...its like food...if you don't like EVERYTHING in your plate, you do not have to eat it...just what you like ;-)
    Last edited by ME2_junky; June 09, 2007 at 02:37 PM.

deleted
    Last edited by ME2_junky; June 09, 2007 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post

What if we do things this way (mostly focussing on gameplay but with some historical background):

Basque Javelinmen: Standard price, extra defense

Lusitanian Javelinmen: Standard price, the rest remains as it is in vanilla.

Almugavars: Unique for Aragon.
    That works for me and sounds quite reasonable.

Anyone else want to voice an opinion here?

I propose this addition to the CURRENT campaign map in SS 3.2

What say you?

I agree with most things in that map.

But we need to be careful concerning new provinces, so what changes would wee need in the current SS campaing map? My opinion is that you add that new province to Portugal (but the northern province would be Porto, because of economical importance). If we add aragon we can already give Aragon 3 provinces at least (4 if you count the Balears). However, should Castele-Leon have 3 provinces or 4? Castele-Leon would have 3 provinces if you count Salamanca, Leon and Toledo, but it could have four if you count Valencia, yet, despite this numbers, shoud we add a fourth province for Castel-Leon, independetly of Valencia? It's that Valencia could be conquered by the Moors quickly. Finally, concerning the Moors, another province must be added for them, so that they can have at least 3, but if they can conquer Valencia then they would have 4. The reason why I'm not counting Valencia to be conquered by Aragon is because Aragon would have other more important provinces to be conquered before others do, such as Barcelona and the Balears.

I think first we should see attend to the absolutely essencial, concerning what provinces are needed in the iberian peninsula, after that we can do some tweaks and these tweaks would include adding one or two more provinces to make the peninsula more "lively and active" or if needed to make a faction stronger because that faction would be at disadvantage when comparing with the others. I think we should follow this line of thought because then we could maximise the efficiency and even better monitorize the results of each step because we wouldn't be making a gigantic change between one version and another and then if some unexpected problem concerning balance happens we could need to make more substancial and the hole things would become disorganized. Besides, we should try to maximize and give as much fun as possible to the iberian peninsula but without exagetaing the number of provinces but at the same time putting that number of provinces that would make the peninsula spacious enough for a 4 strong factions and for a challenging conquest of the peninsula for any of the factions and most importantly, a balanced one. Another thing is the possible slowdowns because of the number of provinces and the fact that the map is now 20% to 30% bigger.
    Last edited by numerosdecimus; June 09, 2007 at 07:30 PM.

For starting provinces I thought Castille-Leon should have Leon and Toledo, Portugal should have Lisbon & Oporto & Aragon should have Zaragosa.

This allows Portugal to potentially get Salamanca and Silves without entering war with a faction.

Castille-Leon can take Salamanca, Valencia & Pamplona.

Aragon could reach for Pamplona, Valencia & Barcelona.

Whoever gets a ship to Malorca can take that as initially Aragon should not have a port as it can have only Zaragosa

The moors also might benefit with a possible conquest of Murcia and Silves, or for the catholic factions for whoever manages to push into Cordoba which will probably be Castille-Leon and or Portugal as it will be a giant leap for an opening game with Aragon.

The provinces added compared with current SS 3.2 map were actually only Murcia and Silves.
    (The region area were changes slightly but not much)

So there were 12 originally & we added 2 thus giving roughly 16.6%

Not that much of an increase innit?

I've found some informations about "Religion Order" in "Iberian Peninsula":

First, there was the Order of Calatrava, founded in 1158.
    Especially, in Castille-Leon.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Order of Aviz, founded in 1167
    Portugal one.

The Order of San Jaime de la Espada or Santiago, founded in 1170, by the in 1175
    Galicia, Leon, Castille.
    Later: Portugal, Aragon, France, Italia.

The Order of Alcántara, founded in 1183
    Portugal, Castille-Leon. Worked with the Order of Calatrava.

The Order of St. George of Alfama (San Jorge de Alfama), founded in 1201, by the pape in 1373 and merged with Montesa in 1400.
    Aragon-Catalogna

And after the Temple "breakdown".

The Order of Montesa, founded in 1317.
    Aragon-Catalogna.

Order of Christ (or Ordem dos Cavaleiros de Nosso Senhor Jesus Cristo), founded in 1318.
    Portugal.

And some maps.

In 1210:

PS: Oh, I forget, thx to wikipedia and google !

I have found the Truth, my end and Salvation...

Yuiis's Avatar Senator

The Papal States do not count. HRE has the entire of central Europe to expand. Sicily has Africa and Venice pushes East while Milan can go north, and south to expand if you choose to develop a naval power. Even with the extra provinces in the Iberian it is still too tight. While Italy is crowded there is much more room there.
    Why dont Papal States count. Even if they are unplayable they occupy regions in that *small* peninsula. You also must remember that the Aragonese way of expansion is also the mediterranean. That means mallorca, valencia and sardinia. With the map I worked out Castile can invade Navarre and then set to try to invade the Moors which is historically what they did, and Portugal can invade Lisboa, and also fight the moors for Silves. Maybe an extra region in the Portuguese zone would make things better.

To the SS map I just see one wrong thing. The fact that Zaragoza has access to the mediterranean and that the city of Barcelona is right next to the pyrenees! Other than that, there's maybe the region of Salamanca which I would work out a bit but its just a personal preference .

these are just suggestions though!

(...) and that unfortunate People were afterwards forced to undergo the utmost Miseries of a Siege, in their Capital City of Barcelona; during which, great Multitudes of them perished by Famine and the Sword, many of them have since been executed; and great Numbers of the Nobility of Catalonia, who, for their Constancy and Bravery in Defence of their Liberties, and for their Services in Conjunction with Her Majesty and Her Allies, had, in all Honour, Justice, and Conscience, the highest Claim to Her Majesty's Protection, are now dispersed in Dungeons throughout the Spanish Dominions.
    -Journal of the House of Lords: volume 20: 1714-1717, pp. 136-144.

Quote Originally Posted by ME2_junky View Post
    For starting provinces I thought Castille-Leon should have Leon and Toledo, Portugal should have Lisbon & Oporto & Aragon should have Zaragosa.

This allows Portugal to potentially get Salamanca and Silves without entering war with a faction.

Castille-Leon can take Salamanca, Valencia & Pamplona.

Aragon could reach for Pamplona, Valencia & Barcelona.

Whoever gets a ship to Malorca can take that as initially Aragon should not have a port as it can have only Zaragosa

The moors also might benefit with a possible conquest of Murcia and Silves, or for the catholic factions for whoever manages to push into Cordoba which will probably be Castille-Leon and or Portugal as it will be a giant leap for an opening game with Aragon.

The provinces added compared with current SS 3.2 map were actually only Murcia and Silves.
    (The region area were changes slightly but not much)

So there were 12 originally & we added 2 thus giving roughly 16.6%

Not that much of an increase innit?
    Not at all, I agree with you.

My idea about the outcome of things is in fact very similar to yours. These provinces would allow for a balanced clash of forces in the peninsula. My idea concerning the starting provinces is exactly like yours with the exception that Aragon would have Pamplona and Zaragoza. After all remenber we are going for a balance between gameplay and realism but having in consideration mainly the realism, Aragon may have not had Pamplona in the very beginning but yet, so did not Portugal have Lisbon. Why do they have then? Meerely because of gameplay.

If you look careful you will find that if we do this right we can create a very balanced gameplay in the peninsula because every faction in there starts with one castle and one city. Aragon would have Pamplona, Castile-Leon would have Toledo, Portugal would have Porto and the Moors would have Granada.

Concerning what would happen in the short/mediun term in the peninsula I had in mind that Leon castile would conquer Salamanca, Portugal would go for Silves, the Moors for Murcia and Aragon would go for Malorca but mainly Barcelona first. In the end, the one who gets Valencia would end the 100% balance situation because now that faction would have the advantage as it has more provinces. Concerning Malorca, Aragon would most likely get it but I think that it would have that much impact militarely although it would help Aragon economically in the mainland peninsula.

But it's also true what you said, this conbination of provinces would allow for several different situations concerning the factions expansion and yet all these situations would remain balanced. Yet I think that perhaps we should give each faction during the start a predefined province for early conquest. For Castille-Leon it would be Salamanca, For Aragon it would be Barcelona, for Portugal it would be Silves, and for the Moors it would be Murcia.

By the way, Murcia would be a city or a castle? I think it should be a city, mainly because of balance.
    Last edited by numerosdecimus; June 10, 2007 at 08:41 AM.

Wow! Very interesting and useful thread here!

A big thanks to the iberian experts, M2 Junky, Yuiis and numerosdecimus!
    Really, this makes things a lot easier for me!

Oh well, I would like to reply to every single point here, but this would take too much time now...
    I have carefully read all your posts and suggestions and I think I will make a first preview based on your information today evening.
    I know that I probably can't please everyone with the unit roster, but I'll try to make it pretty accurate!
    I'm looking forward to your comments!

btw: some of you may already assumed it, but in fact I have already started to add Aragon (in all text files) to the campaign about a week ago, but all the time I was unsure if I'll add them... until now!
    So, very likely I can finish them in one or two days
    Last edited by King Kong; June 10, 2007 at 08:43 AM.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Yuiis's Avatar Senator

Hi all,

Junky, Numeros:

I pretty much agree with most of the things you say. Nevertheless as to Aragon starting zones I would do the following. Instead of having it Start with Pamplona and Zaragoza why not have it start with Barcelona and Zaragoza?. Historically the Crown was never so until The Count of Barcelona and the Kingdom of Zaragoza United. There started the real Crown of Aragon as we know it. I dont think there would be a real gameplay problem there. Basically the change is just making one rebel province Aragonese, and one aragonese province rebel.

Thoughts?

(...) and that unfortunate People were afterwards forced to undergo the utmost Miseries of a Siege, in their Capital City of Barcelona; during which, great Multitudes of them perished by Famine and the Sword, many of them have since been executed; and great Numbers of the Nobility of Catalonia, who, for their Constancy and Bravery in Defence of their Liberties, and for their Services in Conjunction with Her Majesty and Her Allies, had, in all Honour, Justice, and Conscience, the highest Claim to Her Majesty's Protection, are now dispersed in Dungeons throughout the Spanish Dominions.
    -Journal of the House of Lords: volume 20: 1714-1717, pp. 136-144.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post

btw: some of you may already assumed it, but in fact I have already started to add Aragon (in all text files) to the campaign about a week ago, but all the time I was unsure if I'll add them... until now!
    Guys... KK just made my day with that announcement!

As for the starting position I like Aragon to start with Zaragosa only...but concede that gameplay balance should include Barcelona or Pamplona. (with inclination to Barcelona)
    As for Murcia, I believe it should be a city.
    But I think that perhaps we should first see a preview to get an idea of how things would work out in practice. (regarding the two new provinces)

(Although in history Leon-Castille almost assimilated Aragon at its infancy)

I would like to thank numerosdecimus for taking the time to reflect on the information, same for Poisoner even if he wasnt thrilled with our ideas.

Also a big thanks for Yuiis that helped make all this.

I think its safe to say we will continue to research until we feel we have all relevant information.
    Who knows? maybe we will move on to research other stuff as well
    As far as the actual gameplay I am quite confident that once KK gives people a taste of Aragon they will help out to create a great faction
    Last edited by ME2_junky; June 10, 2007 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neaera View Post
    I've found some informations about "Religion Order" in "Iberian Peninsula":

First, there was the Order of Calatrava, founded in 1158.
    Especially, in Castille-Leon.

The Order of Aviz, founded in 1167
    Portugal one.

The Order of San Jaime de la Espada or Santiago, founded in 1170, by the in 1175
    Galicia, Leon, Castille.
    Later: Portugal, Aragon, France, Italia.

The Order of Alcántara, founded in 1183
    Portugal, Castille-Leon. Worked with the Order of Calatrava.

The Order of St. George of Alfama (San Jorge de Alfama), founded in 1201, by the pape in 1373 and merged with Montesa in 1400.
    Aragon-Catalogna

And after the Temple "breakdown".

The Order of Montesa, founded in 1317.
    Aragon-Catalogna.

Order of Christ (or Ordem dos Cavaleiros de Nosso Senhor Jesus Cristo), founded in 1318.
    Portugal.
    Almost forgot, thank you for your contribution as well.

(most of the orders were already discussed but you managed to find two more that were not, good job!)

Hi all,

Kingdom of Aragon must start owning zaragoza and barcelona as the kingdom was made from the merging of the kingdoms of Aragon and Caralonia. It would be like milan starting not owning milan!

anyways, they should not own pamplona because although the King of Aragon was also the King of Pamplona this was only for a short period of time and by the time Aragon merged with Catalonia they no longer controlled Pamplona. They made an agreement with Castile-Leon and conquered Pamplona and then split the lands they had already agreed on between the two kingdoms. In fact Aragon and Castile did this many times, they often split the lands they were going to conquer from the moors before and they would make coordinated attacks and sieges working together.

About the units i think the Aragonese knigts should actually be called "Catalonian Knights" as these were more common in the Kingdom. The knight order of the Aragonese, especially the Catalonians were very similar to that of the french. So they should have heave cavalry. I already suggested KK to just use the stats of the french's noble knights as the Catalonian knights.

Here are links to catalonian knights. not very good ones but an idea:
    Catalonian Knight and light cavalry (mounted saergants i would guess):
    http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/dba165/CatalanCmd.JPG

catalonian javelins:
    http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/dba...lmughavars.JPG
    (they use those hats in holidays over there even today!)

Jaime I the Conqueror:
    http://www.espanolsinfronteras.com/i...nquistador.gif
    Last edited by Aurelius Maximus; June 10, 2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: grammar

As far as the peninsula being to crowded, i don' think that will be a problem with the addition of one or two province. Even if there weren't any provinces added i still don't think it would be a problem.

The province that its a must to be added is palma as it was an important moorish trading center and later an important aragonese center. They actually built one of the biggest cathedrals in europe there. i went there on vacation a couple of times when i used to live in barcelona and just by looking at the city's hitorical area you can see how important it was during the medieval ages. and the cathedral is really nice as you see the reflection of it in the sea, really beautiful.

Anyways, it might seem unfair for the moors but in history it was as all the kingdoms in the peninsula united to kick the moors out, the only chance the moors really had historically was defending africa from the spanish invasion which they succesfully did by bringing a huge reinforcement army from the east.

Well, the idea behind Aragon having Pamplona was because of gameplay. I always thought that SS should go for much better historical accuracy but gameplay should be caferully adressed.

Ok, what if Aragon has Barcelona and Zaragoça but Pamplona would remain rebel. It's that they need a castle in order to build their military units and to better survive.

Here, I knew it!

What if in this version we meerely focus in giving "life" to Aragon, in the next versions, perhaps even in the 4.1 or 4.2 we can start focussing on new titles, historical events, new units for all factions, the religious orders, new guilds etc.
    Last edited by numerosdecimus; June 10, 2007 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    What if in this version we meerely focus in giving "life" to Aragon, in the next versions, perhaps even in the 4.1 or 4.2 we can start focussing on new titles, historical events, new units for all factions, the religious orders, new guilds etc.
    Well you are preaching to the converted if you were speaking to me

I can do this all my life

But in any case, before we start re-inventing the wheel...lets see aragon through and maybe then...if KK agrees we can start a new project...
    A new faction? an old faction? specific dates, titles and events?
    Whatever it is we definitely need some concrete topic & at least a hint that it will be used.

I tend to agree that things got cramped...but would also like to point out that historically the baeleric Islands contained three important locations. (Palma, Ibiza & Menorca) which aragon expanded into as the Spanish (although aligned to some degree against the Moors) "helpfully" cut the Aragon expansion south via Murcia. (see proposed map)

Portugal had also the tiny yet significant set of Islands (Azores and Madeira) which allowed them some escape from the overwhelmingly Leon-Castille-ish dominance
    (Although those Islands were only settled around 1410)

And that technically there should be a few extra provinces as well as the above mentioned Islands...but that might make the Iberian peninsula a mod by itself!

Personally, from what I recall of the original ME1 there were not major problems with playing any faction in the Iberian with the addition of Aragon. (I think it comes with the expansion pack for ME1)

Perhaps we should test things more carefuly once we have some working preview that KK mentioned earlier??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast