Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Aragon

Default Re: Aragon

* Deleted *, see one down post.
    Last edited by Benyi; June 15, 2007 at 10:15 AM.

At century XII-XIV all Catalan citizens must be trained with Crossbow, spear and sword by law. When the cities call their militia, people must come to war with their own weapons and armor. All cities had authority to call their armies when there was any threat. This armies were called Hosts. You can look for information in the history of Ramon Berenguer, the Great and the wars between Aragon and Castille, for example the Peters wars, between Peter the Cruel of Castille and Peter III of Aragon. I've one or two texts, I'll translate it and post here in a few weeks.

do you mean, everytime i attack, they will have a full stack of army?? wouldn't that be a lil difficult? I agree, maybe when the capital is attacked, it is a very good idea since, capitals are supposed to be the center of everything

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Quote Originally Posted by Benyi View Post
    At century XII-XIV all Catalan citizens must be trained with Crossbow, spear and sword by law. When the cities call their militia, people must come to war with their own weapons and armor. All cities had authority to call their armies when there was any threat. This armies were called Hosts. You can look for information in the history of Ramon Berenguer, the Great and the wars between Aragon and Castille, for example the Peters wars, between Peter the Cruel of Castille and Peter III of Aragon. I've one or two texts, I'll translate it and post here in a few weeks.
    I will look into it as well, thank you for the information

@mike
    I do not think he meant that yet as an idea this sounds pretty cool.
    But this would perhaps be in conflict as there are already FREE upkeep units in cities and as they grow you can have more such units with free upkeep as garrison.
    So the game already implemented such a thing.
    Maybe it could be used in a different way...such as peasant/militia vulenteers from near by cities or something?!?

Yuiis's Avatar Senator

I think what Benyi is talking about is the plain old, spear militia, crossbow militia or sword and buckler militia. In medieval periods professional armies didn't exist almost anywhere, (I'm specially talking about early yeras), and militias were the basic defense for all the cities and towns. I think the game has included these units already and are the ones we know as militias. I don't know...you could rename Aragonese militias to Hosts and maybe reskin them, but they wouldn't be different from any other militia from any other european city at the time. (I guess its just up to kk if he wants to reskin all the roster)

(...) and that unfortunate People were afterwards forced to undergo the utmost Miseries of a Siege, in their Capital City of Barcelona; during which, great Multitudes of them perished by Famine and the Sword, many of them have since been executed; and great Numbers of the Nobility of Catalonia, who, for their Constancy and Bravery in Defence of their Liberties, and for their Services in Conjunction with Her Majesty and Her Allies, had, in all Honour, Justice, and Conscience, the highest Claim to Her Majesty's Protection, are now dispersed in Dungeons throughout the Spanish Dominions.
    -Journal of the House of Lords: volume 20: 1714-1717, pp. 136-144.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuiis View Post
    I think what Benyi is talking about is the plain old, spear militia, crossbow militia or sword and buckler militia. In medieval periods professional armies didn't exist almost anywhere, (I'm specially talking about early yeras), and militias were the basic defense for all the cities and towns. I think the game has included these units already and are the ones we know as militias. I don't know...you could rename Aragonese militias to Hosts and maybe reskin them, but they wouldn't be different from any other militia from any other european city at the time. (I guess its just up to kk if he wants to reskin all the roster)
    I doubt it. I don't think it is worth the trouble really.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike13531 View Post
    what are you planning to do with ltc? lol, i didn't get it
    because junky said that he would like to make a provencial mod, as i understand it that is a campaign that focuses on a certain area of europe like in kingdoms. So LTC already has a map of the iberian peninsula and i was saying he would use that to make a reconquista campaign ss style with aragon and maybe navarre as factions and many cities since LTC will only use the original factions and not so many provinces.

OH...cause uhm...like I thought that Lusted is already making that provencial campgin I did not even bother to read...
    I PMed him saying he is welcome to the information I researched.

I thought you were alerting me to the fact that there already is such a campaign...why else would aperson have such a map??

Quote Originally Posted by Yuiis View Post
    A similar thing. At Catalonia/Aragon the tradition were Crossbow and sword militia. But a bit different from medieval traditional european militias. I think they'll be one step over standard militia skill. Not professional because they were citizen armies, but neither poor peasants with good weapons. The law bind citizens to be trained with the weapons and to be ready at any moment. Althought their missions were basically defensive sometimes the Hots were used for offensive tasks supporting the Almughavars attacks or doing siege missions.

The rename and reskin for Crossbowman and militias idea that Yuiis said can be good. Catalan Militia or Host will be a cool name. And the stats a bit over than the standard militias, but not much.

Some pictures about Aragon faction:

Knight

Light Horseman

@Sashok
    Nice stuff, I looked through many resources...where did you get such nice pictures??

ME2_junky
    Nice stuff, I looked through many resources...where did you get such nice pictures??
    From some Osprey pub. books. Such as:
    El Cid and the Reconquista 1050–1492
    French Medieval Armies 1000–1300

Hmmm... good to know...I'll get some quickish. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Benyi View Post
    A similar thing. At Catalonia/Aragon the tradition were Crossbow and sword militia. But a bit different from medieval traditional european militias. I think they'll be one step over standard militia skill. Not professional because they were citizen armies, but neither poor peasants with good weapons. The law bind citizens to be trained with the weapons and to be ready at any moment. Althought their missions were basically defensive sometimes the Hots were used for offensive tasks supporting the Almughavars attacks or doing siege missions.

The rename and reskin for Crossbowman and militias idea that Yuiis said can be good. Catalan Militia or Host will be a cool name. And the stats a bit over than the standard militias, but not much.
    Hi Benyi,

I consider the fact that Aragon has relatively good crossbow militias.
    So they will probably a bit different from others...

Hi Sashok,

Thanks again for some awesome and helpful pictures!
    I'm afraid that I have to make one or two new skins...

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

thanks for the nice pictures Sashok!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234