Thread: USA vs Guatemala CONCACAF match

Icon14 USA vs Guatemala CONCACAF match

Well after a beautiful first half by the US the second half turns into little more then a slug fest with absolutely horrible offical calls including unfortunately Gouch falling for the dirty play of Ruiz and getting a 2nd yellow. I swear Carlos Ruiz would have had to pull out a gun and shot an American player to draw a yellow card as it was pretty much 45 mins of Guatemala charging in and knocking over plays and one single card. US won 1-0 but they are going to have to learn how to deal with physical (aka dirty play) by their opponents without losing their cool when its clear the offical has no desire to do his job.

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

Default Re: USA vs Guatemala CONCACAF match

what was the lineup for each side?
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Quote Originally Posted by GrimSta View Post
    what was the lineup for each side?
    USA: Tim Howard; Frankie Hejduk, Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, Jonathan Bornstein; Michael Bradley, Benny Feilhaber (Jay DeMerit, 81st), Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley; TaylorTwellman (Steve Ralston, 71st), Clint Dempsey (Eddie Johnson, 61st).

Guatemala: Ricardo Tregueno; Leonel Noriega (Luis Swisher, 89th), Claudio Albizuris, Pablo Melgar, Henry Medina, Gustavo Cabrera; Jose Contreras, Marvin Avila (Carlos Figueroa, 81st), Rigoberto Gomez (Mario Rodriguez, 71st); Carlos Quinones, Carlos Ruiz.

Really the US should have won the game easily 3-0 since they dominated completely in 1st half but then Guatemala decided to turn the game into an american football game. Im still amazed Ruiz managed to escape the game without a single yellow when he in fact should have been sent off and out for their next game in the tournament instead Onyewu will have to sit out for his red. It was stupid but guess he lost his cool with all the charging in by Guatemala team. The officials were seriously screwed up, the last minute of extra time Beasely deflected the ball off a Guatemala player clearly for what should have been a goal kick but instead the official called a corner. Not a pretty game atleast the second half, US gets too rattled by dirty play. Make matters worse the crowd was actually mostly Guatemala fans despite it being a home game here in the US...nothing like the US/China friendly over the weekend.

Dempsey and Beasley both had great games.

Is it just me, or does it seem like anti-Americanism is becoming extremely evident in the refs decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Zkickin View Post
    Is it just me, or does it seem like anti-Americanism is becoming extremely evident in the refs decisions?
    Nah dont think it has anything to do with anti Americanism just idiotic officials.

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

Eddie Johnson is scary - that fast and that muscly :S shame about Oneywu, mind you - the states probably have better Centre Backs - one thing i find odd is the lack of Marcus Hahnemann in the squad you posted - he's a good keeper.
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

/\ He's in amazing form for Kansas City at the moment as well.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimSta View Post
    Eddie Johnson is scary - that fast and that muscly :S shame about Oneywu, mind you - the states probably have better Centre Backs - one thing i find odd is the lack of Marcus Hahnemann in the squad you posted - he's a good keeper.
    Hahnemann only has 6 caps under national team, it was Keller's job for so long and now Howard has inherited it with Keller as backup. Johnson could be a great talent if he didnt have attitude problems, this season he has been fantastic. Wouldnt surprise me if some European team gave him a shot but he has to prove he can be consistent and can stay in it mentally. His disappearing act at Kansas after the 2006 WC was pure nonsense.

/\ He's in amazing form for Kansas City at the moment as well.
    Yeah hehe back to back hat tricks, guess he and Angel will be battling for top goal scorer this season

Good to see Bocanegra still retaining his place I love him. Hows Freddy Adu playing. He was the next big thing a couple of years ago.

Eddie Pope retired yet?
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    Good to see Bocanegra still retaining his place I love him. Hows Freddy Adu playing. He was the next big thing a couple of years ago.
    Sucky He'll probably never get picked by national team by Bradley, Adu believed his own hype without trying to actually make it reality. He still thinks Chelsea or Man Utd is gonna swoop in this year or next to sign him. Josmer Altidore is the current 'big thing' and has been impressive for New York.

Eddie Pope retired yet?
    Yep after the WC he retired from international play.

Adu's a cocky "never will be" I was glad to see him leave DC (my team). You play where the team needs you, not where you want to.