Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats a good site to find current military power of different countries?

Mulattothrasher's Avatar Vicarius

Default Whats a good site to find current military power of different countries?

I want to know if a site or sites exists, that publicizes the rough military capabilites of todays modern countries. Here are some example of what I am looking for, but not limited to:
    1) If the Belgians and the Dutch went to war for some strange reason, who has the better commanders/technology/equipment, etc...?
    2) What is the estimated state of the current Russian military machine? If they, again for some strange reason, fought against China, would they have the means to win, or does China have too much manpower?
    3) The forces that Japan has now, would they be able to stem a Chinese invasion considering most of the U.S. has its men in Iraq?
    Again, I hope everyone gets the idea of what I am looking for. Basically a list with the pecking order of military capability. First is the USA obvioulsy. Are they followed by the British, French, Germans, Russians? Chinese? Who is after that and on down the line? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Mulattothrasher; June 07, 2007 at 09:39 PM.

Mig el Pig's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Whats a good site to find current military power of different countries?

Check the Cia fact book, it has the raw numbers of manpower each country can draft.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Default Re: Whats a good site to find current military power of different countries?

Try this: http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/how...es/default.asp

It contains 2002-2003 data.

You can also compare it to the 1995 breakdown here:http://www.andrewclem.com/War/Military_forces.html

Goudvinger's Avatar Semisalis

I don't know any other side than good old wikipedia. I could answer your first question though . Netherlands has an army of 53.000 + 32.000 reserves = 85.000 soldiers, and they have 105 fighter aircrafts, Belgium has a total of 41.000 soldiers and 72 fighter aircrafts, so I am pretty sure the Dutch would win. The Dutch alos have their own land to defend themselves with (In case of an invasion they open the dikes and flood large parts of land)

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Goudvinger View Post
    I don't know any other side than good old wikipedia. I could answer your first question though . Netherlands has an army of 53.000 + 32.000 reserves = 85.000 soldiers, and they have 105 fighter aircrafts, Belgium has a total of 41.000 soldiers and 72 fighter aircrafts, so I am pretty sure the Dutch would win. The Dutch alos have their own land to defend themselves with (In case of an invasion they open the dikes and flood large parts of land)
    Country Power Qual Pop GDP Men Bud Man AFV Air
    • Netherlands 31 48 15.9 $380 51 $6600 $129 1500 150
    • Belgium 14 37 10 $240 40 $3500 $88 750 120

Yep, Belgium is doomed.

Unless the belgiums do like the germans and take over the dike system so they can threathen the dutch into submission. + The dutch first have to take over antwerp and cross the albert canal before they can start taking over belgium while the belgians have a free reign in zeeuws vlaanderen and can cut off maastricht.

I'm not saying the belgians would win but their harder to crack then numbers would appear. They could also "borrow" the american nukes they got stowed away in Kleinen brogel.

Combined with the fact that belgium small arms are alot better then anything the dutch have ever produced(we are one of the few countries that sells weapons to the USA)

This weapons is in use by alot of taday modern special forces (irish rangers, peruan marines, american Swat and secret service (and some would like to deploy it in Iraq since its smaller and more convenient to use then an M16 in a humvee)

This is our latest assault rifle, which is already in use by the norwegian, slovenian and peruvian army.
    And currently the UK army might switch to this weapon.
    Their are also rumors we sold 50.000 of these to Saudia Arabia.

Combined with the fact that our beer is better.

shylence's Avatar Miles

IS the thread starter planning an invasion?? or a coup i could join the cause comrade. for a price of course I suggest a small south pacific island at first..

Hansa's Avatar Campidoctor

There are no good sources for this kind of thing on the internet, the best ones are littered with errors and inaccurate info. Not that the question is really answerable anyways as no modern military has been to war with another modern military for decades.

To sum things up, this rather uninteresting question is impossible to answer through internet fact sites.
    GEIR HASUND!

By the way, though my avatar might indicate so, I am not a citizen of Germany, though my ancestry have a branch in this great nation.

Well surprisingly Schweiz ist sieben or however you say switzerland is seventh
    OMG
    Under the patronage of Noble Savage

Post Tenebras Lux
    European liberal, free trade and civil liberties FTW.
    Attractive, by everyones standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    Good post Amagi +rep

Mulattothrasher's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Hansa View Post
    There are no good sources for this kind of thing on the internet, the best ones are littered with errors and inaccurate info. Not that the question is really answerable anyways as no modern military has been to war with another modern military for decades.

To sum things up, this rather uninteresting question is impossible to answer through internet fact sites.

Yeah, that what I had figured after I searched and could not find anything other than impossibly small numbers for a nation's defense force (I read the Philippines have a 2000 man elite defense force and like 10 destroyers and thats it. that sounds way, way too small).
    For security reasons, no one wants to publish everything about what they can put in the field of course because "the enemy is watching" hehe, but I know something out there must be rather close and can be used as a guide for relative judgment of military power.

Goudvinger's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Mig el Pig View Post
    Unless the belgiums do like the germans and take over the dike system so they can threathen the dutch into submission. + The dutch first have to take over antwerp and cross the albert canal before they can start taking over belgium while the belgians have a free reign in zeeuws vlaanderen and can cut off maastricht.

I'm not saying the belgians would win but their harder to crack then numbers would appear. They could also "borrow" the american nukes they got stowed away in Kleinen brogel.

Combined with the fact that belgium small arms are alot better then anything the dutch have ever produced(we are one of the few countries that sells weapons to the USA)

This weapons is in use by alot of taday modern special forces (irish rangers, peruan marines, american Swat and secret service (and some would like to deploy it in Iraq since its smaller and more convenient to use then an M16 in a humvee)

This is our latest assault rifle, which is already in use by the norwegian, slovenian and peruvian army.
    And currently the UK army might switch to this weapon.

Combined with the fact that our beer is better.
    Heineken is the best, so you are wrong here. And also, if we'd just block the Schelde the entire Belgian economy is doomed since it's the only way to reach Antwerp by sea.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnęte Homme.

Heineken is the best
    there should be an automatic ban for trolls such as this one...

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
    Farnan, you beat me to it!

Global Security is one of the best and most accurate of such websites on the net. If you wish to know, go there ...

Thrasher, concerning the "Chinese invasion of Japan" scenario, they don't have the amphibious capability to re-take Taiwan, much less go much farther than that to the Japanese home islands. US and Japanese naval power would crush the Chinese Navy, and they know it. That's why you're not likely to see something like this happen until you're an old man, if ever.

And if the Chinese go nuclear, they're toast ... literally.
    Last edited by Oldgamer; June 09, 2007 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mig el Pig View Post

Wow, the Saudis are the biggest arms importer in the world yet they can lose to Bangladesh in a military conflict.

/partial sarcasm
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Audiences
    GlobalSecurity.org caters to a large and targeted audience. We write specifically for news organizations, having a close working relationship with many reporters covering our issue areas. We understand that our enthusiastic audience also includes current, former and prospective military service members, defense contractor folks, family members of people deployed to Iraq. We hear that congressional staff covering defense issues are among our users, along with intelligence community staff, and other government officials. Others who make frequent use of the website include academics, students and the interested public at large.

It attracts about 100,000 unique visitors on week days [1/3 repeat, 2/3 first time visitors], serving about 500,000 page views daily.

Average Monthly Page Views (in millions), 2000 – Present

We have identified several key target audiences for our online presence, and tailored our implementation to meet their needs:

Subject Matter Experts who specialize more or less full time in particular topics need quick and ready access to primary documentation, such as news briefing transcripts, Congressional hearing testimony and contract announcements, as well as news reports not readily available in the mass media. By making our own research archives available online to the entire community, we free other experts from the time consuming chores of document collection, and free them to concentrate on analysis and commentary.

Senior Leaders are frequently called upon to comment on specific questions which are outside their immediate area of interest, and thus need point papers, fact sheets and briefing books to quickly bring them back up to speed on the immediate question at hand. We provide a broad range of such summary information products, which are enhanced relative to hardcopy material both by their ready availability, as well as their linkage to more in-depth background material if needed.

Junior Staff and Interns must quickly familiarize themselves with the often bewildering array of programs, acronyms, agencies and other cats and dogs that are the fundamental building-blocks of national decision-making. Our online resources provide both the initial orientation needed to get started, as well as links to more sophisticated resources to promote continued professional development.

Concerned Citizens have diverse needs that complement and span the range from subject matter experts to senior leaders and junior staff. Some activists have long-standing, highly developed and focused interests that rival those of full time professional experts, and our online presence provides a vehicle both to service these needs and bring together otherwise isolated experts and citizens. Others have much more immediate needs for basic information to respond to local public or media interest, and our briefing materials respond to these needs as well.

News Reporters are our most important online target audience, as we have found the internet to be an unusually powerful tool in our media outreach efforts. With all reporters now having online access, we are finding that most of our media contacts are either initiated as a result of a journalist accessing our site, or conclude with our directing the journalist to additional background information available online.
    From Global Security website.

To prove its reliability see how much it is referenced in the media: http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2007/index.html
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

it seems abit inaccurate since china has a much largest reverses prehaps in the hundred millions their country is big with a population of over one billion and a massive economy starting boost up very fast have an army of less than 3 million give me a break. I bet they easily can replace their losses more easier than any other country in the world. oh yes i heard north korea a very large reserve of troops too. It will only be a matter of time before China has a navy capable of challenging the rest of the whole world after all they have the world's largest airforce, however not as advanced as the USA. Prehaps the world had yet to see the full military strength of China. i think there should be a chart in terms of the most advanced militaries in the world, which look better.

The most bloodiest conflict that could happen would be a war between india and china hundreds of millions would perish especially with the size of their populations, however it would turn into a stalemate since there would be no true winner despite how more advanced China are.

Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

It will only be a matter of time before China has a navy capable of challenging the rest of the whole world after all they have the world's largest airforce
    The US has the world's largest airforce by far. The Chinese only boast that their airforce is the largest because as an organization they have more personnel then the USAF does, yet when it comes to planes and pilots the US is far ahead then pretty much everyone.

I want to know if a site or sites exists, that publicizes the rough military capabilites of todays modern countries
    though I myself do prefer globalsecurity.org, I think you will also enjoy this website, its exactly what you've been looking for,

http://www.globalfirepower.com/

the site features (2006) rankings for the top 39 militarys in the world

King James !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sextus Loverlord View Post
    Wow, the Saudis are the biggest arms importer in the world yet they can lose to Bangladesh in a military conflict.

/partial sarcasm
    euh where did you get that statement from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast