The Decemberists
    Decemberist Members:
    Shocked: Rachel Blumberg* - Drums
    Thinking: Jenny Conlee - Hammond Organ, Keyboards
    Reading: Colin Meloy - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar
    Kissing: Nate Query - Upright Bass, 'Cello
    Kissed: Chris Funk - Electric Guitar and other strings

*Recently replaced by John Moen
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Crane Wife

The Songs

1. "The Crane Wife 3" – 4:18
    2. "The Island": – 12:26
    i. "Come and See"
    ii. "The Landlord's Daughter"
    iii. "You'll Not Feel the Drowning"
    3. Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)" – 4:18
    4. "O Valencia!" – 3:47
    5. "The Perfect Crime #2" – 5:33
    6. "When the War Came" – 5:06
    7. "Shankill Butchers" – 4:39
    8. "Summersong" – 3:31
    9. "The Crane Wife 1 & 2" – 11:19
    10. "Sons & Daughters" – 5:13

Perhaps the thing which stands out most about this album, is its clear sense of direction. Previous Decemberist albums have been a bit erratic, with stories of infanta's, jonahesque sailors and suicidal lovers all mixed together. In contrast, the narrative of the Crane Wife keeps it focused, though still allows the characteristic divertions in the other songs. But that's enough of the typical reviewing rambling, let's get on to the tracks themselves.

The Crane Wife: Part 3

As I mentioned, this is the real story behind the album. Essentially, it chronicles the Japanese folk tale of the Crane Wife - this is the part in which the farmer sees her at her loom (but she is a Crane, and plucks her feathers to spin the silk!), and loses her forever (remember: this is a prequel to track 9, so please bear with me).

And under the boughs unbowed,
    All clothed in a snowy shroud,
    She had no heart so hardened,
    All under the boughs unbowed.

The Island
    Part I: Come and See
    To me, this is one of the best songs they've done. It is the first part of a song-cycle about a lost island "Hidden in the sound [...] No boot-mark here nor fingerprint". As always, Meloy's lyrics are excellent; the arrangement and melodies fantastic.

Part 2: The Landlords Daughter
    The (implied) rape of the Landlords Daughter, continuing the theme of the Island.

Part 3: You'll Not Feel the Drowning
    Ending the cycle in Decemberist style: with death and drowning.

Yankee Bayonet
    In many respects this is my favourite track on the album. Slightly remniscent of Liberty! by Mark o' Connor (in sound), it speaks the story of a dead soldier, and his lover. Again, top lyrical form:

Girl: When I was a girl how the hills of Oconee
    Made a seam to hem me in

[...]

Soldier: But O' did you see all the dead of Manassas
    All the bellies and the bones and the bile?

Girl: No, I lingered here with the blankets barren
    And my own belly big with child

O' Valencia!
    To be honest with you, this is a bit of a single. But it's a good one, and better than the endlessly repetitive "16 Military Wives" (n.b. this is actually quite amusing, if listened to with the music video).

The Perfect Crime #2
    The first thing you'll hear is the great starting riff. Then you hear the vocals, which compliment it perfectly. Or vice versa. Its really very difficult not to like this one.

When the War Came
    I would be lying if I said this was quite to their usual standard. But the lyrics have their funny moments, and it has quite a powerful guitar bit.

Shankill Butchers
    You're probably all aware of the Shankill Butchers, but if you're not, there's the link. This is really a sort of "bogeyman" song about them. Of mothers telling their children stories, to frighten them into vegtables. Into eating them, that is.

Summersong
    Anything I say, about this wonderfully melodic track, couldn't really be adequate. It's that good. Seriously, it is. Have a listen to it, if you don't believe me.

The Crane Wife: Part 1
    Wherein the farmer takes the wounded crane in, and, after nursing it, let's it go....

The Crane Wife: Part 2
    And not long after, a beautiful woman arrives at his door. They marry, but fall on hard times. But a solution - the woman offers to spin fine silk, on condition that he does not watch her doing so....

Sons and Daughters
    A sea shanty, of settlers sailing to the states - drawing on the idealistic dreams of America (in a slightly anachronistic way)....

We'll make our homes on the water,
    We'll build our walls of aluminum,
    We'll fill our mouths with cinnamon

-------------------------------------------------------------

So, there are the songs. But I think it would be remiss to conclude without touching, if briefly, on the artwork....

The cover and slip-art (of which there is a lot) consists entirely of little pencilled drawings. They are extremely idiosyncratic, and perfectly compliment the eccentricity you might expect from the Decemberists. Incidentally, they're drawn by Carson Ellis - who is also Colin Meloy's partner (she's a lady, in case you're wondering).

Here's a little example:

I'd highly recommend visiting her site, too, which some great artwork: http://www.carsonellis.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------

To end my long review, I'll give you a link which you might want to view, before buying it ( ).

http://www.decemberists.com/

Look in the jukebox section, and listen to Summersong. You could pay a visit to their myspace, too - but be warned, the tracks on there are not their best (except "We Both Go Down Together").

Right - that took a long time. Hopefully this will persuade at least someone to buy this album - as you really wouldn't regret it.

P.S. If you're interested in finding out more about the Decemberists, I've done another review of their previous album, here: The Decemberists - Picaresque

Last edited by Søren; June 07, 2007 at 11:58 AM.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Default Re: The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Soren this is a beautiful record indeed and your presentation deserves a place in their PR department and the Scriptorium.

Well done and thank you.

Here is a version of the Crane Wife tale:http://www.e-village.jp/earth-c/html...ml/000010.html
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; June 07, 2007 at 09:26 PM.

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Excellent review, posting it in the scriptorium now.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

I bought it some time ago, after you suggested the band to me Søren, and I completly agree with you on almost every point.

Except:

The Perfect Crime #2
    The first thing you'll hear is the great starting riff. Then you hear the vocals, which compliment it perfectly. Or vice versa. Its really very difficult not to like this one.
    I can not stand this song. The chorus is absolutely horrible. A bit simplistic perhabs, but it really kills the song for me. However don't let this stop you from acquiring the album.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post
    I bought it some time ago, after you suggested the band to me Søren, and I completly agree with you on almost every point.
    The Smiths & Decemberists, you already know Jethro Tull, and you're not a great fan of Leonard Cohen.... My list of good musical recommendations is drawing to a close....

Incidentally, do you have Picaresque? It's a bit lighter - more Summersong than The Island, but very good.

I can not stand this song. The chorus is absolutely horrible. A bit simplistic perhabs, but it really kills the song for me. However don't let this stop you from acquiring the album.
    I agree with you on the chorus, definitely. It's pretty dire. But I can put up with it, considering the rest of the song is soo good (IMO).

It's nice to meet people who have an almost identical musical taste - yourself and Garb, that is. Far too many people like crap music....

Well I'm trying to get into Cohen. It's a bit difficult actually. Everytime I put on some of his tuff all I can hear is: ooh liikeee a biiiiiird on the wiiiiire. It's getting better though. Field Commander Cohen is pretty good.

Incidentally, do you have Picaresque? It's a bit lighter - more Summersong than The Island, but very good.
    Nope not yet. I hope to get it soon however (birthday's comming up).
    Though I've hear We Both Go Down Together on myspace - and I love that song (it's my song on myspace also)

It's nice to meet people who have an almost identical musical taste - yourself and Garb, that is. Far too many people like crap music....
    Indeed. Music is one of the most important things in this world and its great to meet people who share a common taste.
    Last edited by Atterdag; June 09, 2007 at 01:14 PM.
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

Otto von Bismarck

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post
    Well I'm trying to get into Cohen. It's a bit difficult actually. Everytime I put on some of his tuff all I can hear is: ooh liikeee a biiiiiird on the wiiiiire. It's getting better though. Field Commander Cohen is pretty good.
    Yeah, it does take a bit of getting used to. And Bird on the Wire is not one of his best, really.... I think probably 2/3rds of liking Cohen is the lyrics. Once you like the lyrics, the music really starts to grow on you too, as it often compliments it very well (IMO).

Field Commander Cohen is probably not the best one to start on, though.

Songs of Leonard Cohen is likely the best choice. Story of Isaac, Famous Blue Raincoat & Night Comes On are all worth getting hold of, too (they're songs, not albums). Particually Famous Blue Raincoat.

Nope not yet. I hope to get it soon however (birthday's comming up).
    Though I've hear We Both Go Down Together on myspace - and I love that song (it's my song on myspace also)
    Yeah, it's really great. From My Own True Love (Lost at Sea) probably takes joint place with it, for best track, IMO. As I said in my review though, there are just so many great ones....

Indeed. Music is one of the most important things in this world and its great to meet people who share a common taste.
    Just out of interest: your profile lists movies as one of your interests. Any ones in particular?

Songs of Leonard Cohen is likely the best choice. Story of Isaac, Famous Blue Raincoat & Night Comes On are all worth getting hold of, too (they're songs, not albums). Particually Famous Blue Raincoat.
    I'll take a look on them then

Just out of interest: your profile lists movies as one of your interests. Any ones in particular?
    Oh, most of Kubrick's work and WC Fields' movies.
    Other than that off the top of my head: the Graduate, Mississippi Burning, Paris Texas, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Marathon Man, Maria Full of Grace, the Libertine and most recently (re)watched, Die Hard.

Sir I must inform you that this is an emergency line reserved for urgent calls.
    No :wub:*** **** lady? Do you think I wanna order a pizza?
    Last edited by Atterdag; June 10, 2007 at 09:02 AM.
    Сканија је Данска

Otto von Bismarck

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

Leonard Cohen is depressing

Anyway, last time I listened to The Decemberists I wasn't too impressed, but that was ages ago. I'll listen again and see if I change my mind

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

Brilliant review of a brilliant record, Soren.

My favourite track would proabbly be The Island. I can't specificy a part of it, because the way they work together is what gives it its charm, I think.

And I agree with you regarding "The Perfect Crime #2". How can you not love a song that begins with "Sing, muse, of the passion of the pistol"?
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."