Thread: Rebels-discussion

Icon2 Rebels-discussion

I think the rebels are too much only a bystanding thing in the campain. You don't really think about them, because there is only 2 interaction: bribe them or fight them.

Besides, rebels is the wrong discription, because not all of them fall in this role:
    A rebel actually is someone who revolts against a nation. The cities at the beginning of the campaign are actually small kingdoms, and you should be able to interact with them accordingly! Like the "Irish Rebels" only should be the "Irish", they are not rebelling against anything!
    They are not much into expanding, but should do more then just sit in their castle.

- How about beeing able to trade with these small kingdoms
    - or buying/convincing them into your kingdom (the troops as well as the city/castle)
    - Rebels must occure inside lands you conquered, because it's not real that the conquered are all just ok with it! But these should be from small groups to even a family member of the destroyed faction, raising up again (with a message, like in the old Medieval game!)
    They then should not only stand there! they should block trade roads and even attack you.

Is it even possible to change this aspect of the game?
    And what do you guys think?

Default Re: Rebels-discussion

Hi Hambi,

Very good ideas and I think it would really add to the atmosphere and realism regarding rebels.
    Well, I don't know much about the rebels AI, but I'll look into this and myabe I can change some of those things...

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

very good idea hambi, hope KK can change some..
    Serve no one but Bane!

An awesome mod!

to bribe them is very different than convincing them to join ur empire..
    Serve no one but Bane!

An awesome mod!

That is a good idea, i was thinking of making a mod where the games starts with no rebel provinces at all because, as Hambi mentioned its not very realistic. Very good point.

I just started a Spanish campaign and after been fighting the moors, one rebel stack attacked and is currently sieging zaragoza which is defended right now by just two units I'm using UAI 1.5 with SS.

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

You can reduce their numbers and appearance rate in descr_strat. If you want to do this, remember that bigger numbers mean fewer rebels/pirates. I usually double the values in descr_strat, which gives me a rebel level I like.

Edit: Changing the descr_strat values does NOT affect the pre-placed rebels at campaign start, only the random "pop-ups".

The problem you encounter with the idea of diplomacy/trade/etc with rebels is that all the rebels in the world are one faction. Splitting them up reduces the number of playable factions in the game (if can even be done).
    Last edited by aduellist; June 07, 2007 at 06:43 PM.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

ya, well, bribing lower your rep, but does convincing into empire lower it too?? and i don't think the convincing to empire part is possible, i don't THINK, cause last time i asked about more variety of choices in diplomacy, grandviz and KK told me it was hardcoded

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you