Thread: New regiosn added = crash

Default New regiosn added = crash

Someone please look at teh log and tell me why The game crashes before the map loading screen. map.rwm and map_heights.hgt are deleted.
    Last edited by Shaba Wangy; June 07, 2007 at 10:27 AM.

Default Re: New regiosn added = crash

Bump.

Can you upload your base map files so other mappers can take a look? Usually, if there is a problem with the map, the error log won't give any helpful clues - which seems to be the case here.

UPDATE
    Ok Guys!

I corrected what you guys said i should correct, and found a mistake in descr_start.txt (in sevilla), but I still get the same error? I'm pulling my hair our over here. Any help is appreciated.

--previous message--
    Here they are. Please do no use without permission. Its based of a heavily modified Unspoken Knight map.

New files below:
    Last edited by Shaba Wangy; June 13, 2007 at 03:28 PM.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

I'm assuming those five provinces at the end of the descr_regions file are yours?

If so, you don't have religious composition specified for them.

Also, did you remember to add them to your imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt file?

And I'm pretty sure the lookup files are not needed.

Cheers!

I'm still looking through the map and descr_regions file, but I have so far found that the region right below Bordeaux that is in 218 246 61 is not found in the text file, at least with that color definition. I still need to check further in case there are any others.

Edit:

Also missing:
    156 119 176 - just below 218 246 61
    90 19 170 - the highest dark purple on the far West of the map
    244 13 138 - the hot pink region near Gibraltar

I think that's all of them. Once you fix the religion listings as Socal_infidel suggested and these, you should hopefully have a working map.
    Last edited by Gundug; June 07, 2007 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    I'm assuming those five provinces at the end of the descr_regions file are yours?

If so, you don't have religious composition specified for them.

Also, did you remember to add them to your imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt file?

And I'm pretty sure the lookup files are not needed.

Cheers!
    Most of these regions are mine. All of them have been reworked. I did forget to add to those 5! Thanks! also, this is a custom campaign so nothing need go in the imperial file.

@ gun

THANKS!!!

I will mention you two in the credit section of my mod.
    Last edited by Shaba Wangy; June 07, 2007 at 02:29 PM.

1. To add the religion make-up of each faction, easiest way is to just copy the listing from the descr_regions of a similar province.

2. You need to convert the imperial_campaigns_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin to a text file and then add entries for your new regions at the bottom (Although if you're working off of Unspoken Knight's mod for your new changes you can just use his .txt file if he included one in that format).

Like so:

{Pallars_Province} Pallars Province
    {Pallars} Pallars

1. To add the religion make-up of each faction, easiest way is to just copy the listing from the descr_regions of a similar province.

2. You need to convert the imperial_campaigns_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin to a text file and then add entries for your new regions at the bottom (Although if you're working off of Unspoken Knight's mod for your new changes you can just use his .txt file if he included one in that format).

Like so:

{Pallars_Province} Pallars Province
    {Pallars} Pallars
    I've done that using the Iberia_campaigns_and_settlement_names.txt file, erase the bin file that then gets re-written. Thanks though.

Check for an update above please

I'd check the placement of the cities in those provinces along the Pyrenees. It looks like some of those may be placed on invalid tiles (i.e. a mountain).

If you're just adding regions to an existing map (be it vanilla or otherwise) and not changing the heights or ground types files at all and are fairly certain everything else is in order, sometimes the cause of the CTDs is invalid city placement.

I'd check the placement of the cities in those provinces along the Pyrenees. It looks like some of those may be placed on invalid tiles (i.e. a mountain).

If you're just adding regions to an existing map (be it vanilla or otherwise) and not changing the heights or ground types files at all and are fairly certain everything else is in order, sometimes the cause of the CTDs is invalid city placement.
    how would I go about doing that?

I'm no Photoshop pro (in fact, I'm pretty noob with it) but you can rescale the regions file to the map heights and ground types size and layer them and then using opacity, check whether your city placement is on a mountain or unpassable terrain.

The other way (which I used for my map) is eyeball it. Load up a game using UK's map and eyeball where your new settlements would be. I don't want to be an alarmist but that area of the map has like two passes and the coast. Might not be able to place settlements there without altering the heights or ground types files.

Bah! Too many bad regions. Starting from Scratch.