Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: **PRO DEO ET REGE v0.3A BETA FEEDBACK AND DISCUSSIOn**

VirusITA's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: **v0.2 BETA RELEASED** MIITW: PRO DEO ET REGE (includes Regional Area of Recruitment System)

Perfect!

Just a small critic: Malta and the Etna (the volcano behind Messina) are huge!

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default Re: **v0.2 BETA RELEASED** MIITW: PRO DEO ET REGE (includes Regional Area of Recruitment System)

Quote Originally Posted by VirusITA View Post
    Perfect!

Just a small critic: Malta and the Etna (the volcano behind Messina) are huge!
    Malta has to be a little big to fit a port and a settlement - so that's all me!

The volcano? Take that up with CA!:wink:

Cheers!

UPDATE!

NEW PROPOSED AoR UNITS WORKS IN PROGRESS!

'ello all! So I've finally plunged myself headfirst into the world of unit model editing. Last night and this morning were my first attempts at it, so go easy on me.

Basically, as I've mentioned in the past, I'd like to diversify the Regional Area of Recruitment System Unit Rosters (and maybe sprinkle a few units into the regular faction rosters where needed). So here are three units, I've come up with so far.

PROPOSED CUMAN UNITS: AOR_CUMANS REGION

Cuman Foot Archers: The Cumans are a nomadic Turkish people occupying the area north of the Black sea, who have made a name for themselves as brave warriors. Accustomed to a life in the saddle, they will dismount when needed and fight on foot. Equipped with powerful composite bows, they prefer to leave heavy hand-to-hand combat to others.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Cuman Spearmen: Not all Cumans can afford a horse! Representing the poorest members of the tribe, these men must fight on foot as light infantry. Armed with little more than a spear and a small shield, these warriors make up for their lack of equipment with bravery and enthusiasm. However, they cannot be counted on to hold a line.
    LEVY SERGEANT: AOR_FRANCE, AOR_GERMANY, AOR_ITALY, AOR_ENGLAND, AOR_SCANDINAVIA, AOR_NETHERLANDS

Levy Sergeants: Comprised of freemen who cannot yet afford a mount, these men fulfill their compulsory civic duty on foot. Better trained, disciplined and equipped than levy spearmen, these local troops are armed with spears and protected by light armour and a large shield. Useful in support roles for heavier and better units, these men should not be counted on in extended combat.

If you have any suggestions and/or feedback, feel free to post them here! I'd appreciate any/all comments!

Also, if you'd like to help out with any reskinning, please let me know! I could use any help I can get! Thanks!

Cheers!

Default Re: **v0.2 BETA RELEASED** MIITW: PRO DEO ET REGE (includes Regional Area of Recruitment System)*NEW PICS 06/23*

First let me say great Mod tough I have only played a little bit so far. The Issue I am seeing playing as the Scots is that England is a little to powerful to start. About 10 turns into or so they were able to feild 2 almost full powered stacks while I was barely able to have even one and that one was killing my encomony.

After taking Inverness I had the Danes decide to come pay me a visit which I proceed to take them out even though they had a better army. Then here comes the english with two stacks after them having taking wales. I only have like 4 highlander and 4 peasant archers and 2 border horeses to while they had both mounted and dismount mailed units and generally I bigger and better army.

I am thinking that the main powers might be a little to powerful for the smaller factions to have a chance against them. Now I don't know if this is part of the problem but I did set the difficulty to very hard. Not sure what that setting does as far economy and what in this mod.

Default Re: **v0.2 BETA RELEASED** MIITW: PRO DEO ET REGE (includes Regional Area of Recruitment System)*NEW PICS 06/23*

Quote Originally Posted by Nightravn View Post
    First let me say great Mod tough I have only played a little bit so far. The Issue I am seeing playing as the Scots is that England is a little to powerful to start. About 10 turns into or so they were able to feild 2 almost full powered stacks while I was barely able to have even one and that one was killing my encomony.

After taking Inverness I had the Danes decide to come pay me a visit which I proceed to take them out even though they had a better army. Then here comes the english with two stacks after them having taking wales. I only have like 4 highlander and 4 peasant archers and 2 border horeses to while they had both mounted and dismount mailed units and generally I bigger and better army.

I am thinking that the main powers might be a little to powerful for the smaller factions to have a chance against them. Now I don't know if this is part of the problem but I did set the difficulty to very hard. Not sure what that setting does as far economy and what in this mod.
    Hmm..this is something I'll definitely take a look at. Right now, because of the increased construction and recruitment costs, the AI is getting economic assistance in the event they go bankrupt. I may tone it down a litte.

The VH difficulty is not linked to anything in my mod. But I think on that setting, relations deteriorate with the AI and thus you can expect more aggression and hostility towards you.

I've mentioned it before, but I'll likely be testing GrandViz' Ultimate AI with this mod and possibly including it as strictly optional add-on for those who prefer it.

Cheers! Enjoy the rest of your campaign!

The new units looked really cool. Why dont you add a polearm unit to the mod? I dont think there are any.

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

When I played as Scottland I thought England was quite powerful as well... but I thought they SHOULD be that powerful, so I could not blitz them out easily. If the Player as Scottland wants to take on England, it should be brutal IMHO.

Right now i just played as Byzantium and it wasnt really fun. By 1089 over half of my cities had revolted which left me bankrupt. However, what really was annoying was that in 1089 half of my remaining cities, all of which were very loyal suddently revolted! I lowered tax rates increased troop size but nothing worked. Cities that were historically loyal to the byzantines randomly revolted without any reason or motivation.

However, i played some battles with them and they are very fun. The new shields look great and the units are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by arfrisco View Post
    Right now i just played as Byzantium and it wasnt really fun. By 1089 over half of my cities had revolted which left me bankrupt. However, what really was annoying was that in 1089 half of my remaining cities, all of which were very loyal suddently revolted! I lowered tax rates increased troop size but nothing worked. Cities that were historically loyal to the byzantines randomly revolted without any reason or motivation.

However, i played some battles with them and they are very fun. The new shields look great and the units are fun.
    Hmm. I'll look to add more loyalty traits to the Byzantine generals in each of their cities. And maybe tone down the distance to capital penalty, as well. That said, I think it should be a tad on the difficult-side to try to maintain order in their outer provinces. After all, they start out HUGE!

But I'll definitely look into this. As always, arfrisco thanks for the feedback! Cheers mate!

It is difficult to play for Byzantium. Easily for: Denmark, Portugal, France.

I just started playing as France. it is very fun but no one can conceive! Ahhh, whatever. I guess there wont be anymore Capetians.

BTW, in my Genoese campaign I really was able to notice how well the AOR system was implemented. Now since Im France there isnt much AOR other then in the holy land.

UPDATE!

NEW UNITS: ARAB SWORDSMEN [EGYPT & MOORS]

ARAB SWORDSMEN: Recruited from the many Arabs settled across North Africa and the Middle East, these men are fierce warriors sworn to uphold the tenets of Islam. Wielding razor-sharp scimitars, these men make a formidable foe on the battlefield.

ADDITIONAL UPDATES COMING SOON!

Cheers!

Default Re: **v0.2 BETA RELEASED** MIITW: PRO DEO ET REGE (includes Regional Area of Recruitment System)*NEW PICS 06/24*

Hey, I just want to tell you, that I absolutely love your mod. I'am playing as Byzantines and I'am having a blast. No CTDs and any other problems so far. I always liked AOR systems and its nice to see one finally implemented in MTW II.

Just one little proposal for Byzantines, I think that western coastal areas of Asia Minor should allow recruitmnet of national Byzantine units from the start, because if I'am not wrong they were like core areas for Byzantines even after Manzikert with mostly greek population. Also could you consider adding more appropriate model for captain/family member? Seeing 15th century armor in 11th century kinda spoils the atmospehere. I don't remember which mod got this implemented, but if you want, I'll check it.

Do you plan to include new factions in the future?

Default Re: **v0.2 BETA RELEASED** MIITW: PRO DEO ET REGE (includes Regional Area of Recruitment System)*NEW PICS 06/24*

Howdy from down under!

I've been around here for a long time but rarely post. I've tried quite a few mods out but all seem to suffer from something that kills most of my gaming fun.

Now this happens not just in MTW2 but in Rome, Civilization and countless many other games. I general enjoy the struggle but then as I reach a certain size and power, I realize that I can't be beaten and I lose interest rapidly. As a result, I've NEVER finished a game of Rome or MTW2 (although playing MANY hours).

Thus..this statement I disagree with...

Originally Posted by arfrisco

Hmm. I'll look to add more loyalty traits to the Byzantine generals in each of their cities. And maybe tone down the distance to capital penalty, as well. That said, I think it should be a tad on the difficult-side to try to maintain order in their outer provinces. After all, they start out HUGE!
    Real empires collapsed for many reasons. This needs to be put into the game. The AOR and the whole inability to build units in new cities for sometime and distance penalties is great and it adds a good deal more than most MTW2 mods. I hope you continue looking at this path. Generals traditionally had leadership aspirations. Rome had many costly civil wars because of the conflicts between generals for examples. A blood line that gets thin can cause this...so can neglecting an area or putting in two few troops. Perhaps old nationalist views of the natives or even a devastating defeat in battle can cause regions to think the empire can be broken free from. REAL history is full of ideas for scripting.

Anyhow, I REALLY love your mod and post here to encourage you to keep it going. I get tired of switching mods all the time and am encouraged by the enthusiasm you put into your mod. I just want to reaffirm to you that many people get a lot of fun thanks to you work from this game.

Thanks and keep it up!

Oh one more thing...I'm not sure I noticed but does this mod have the blood effects (it was called blood and skymod or something a while back)?
    Last edited by PrimerX; June 25, 2007 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by qvint View Post
    Hey, I just want to tell you, that I absolutely love your mod. I'am playing as Byzantines and I'am having a blast. No CTDs and any other problems so far. I always liked AOR systems and its nice to see one finally implemented in MTW II.

Just one little proposal for Byzantines, I think that western coastal areas of Asia Minor should allow recruitmnet of national Byzantine units from the start, because if I'am not wrong they were like core areas for Byzantines even after Manzikert with mostly greek population. Also could you consider adding more appropriate model for captain/family member? Seeing 15th century armor in 11th century kinda spoils the atmospehere. I don't remember which mod got this implemented, but if you want, I'll check it.

Do you plan to include new factions in the future?
    Thanks for the kind words. And allowing recruitment of Byzantine's core units in the western coastal areas of Asia Minor is something I'll look into. In fact, that's the type of feedback I like. Since this mod is mostly a one-man show right now, it's nice to get historical feedback like that.

As far as new factions - yes at some point. As you can see from some of my posts, I've been messing around with editing unit models. Any suggestions on which faction?

edit- the problems with the early generals mod from my viewpoint are 1]all generals wear a crown in that mod which I find really distracting 2]once armour upgrades in the game, you have a general running around in mail armour in later eras and 3]the shiny suit of armour kinda helps your general stand out on the battlefield and makes it easy to keep track of him when things get messy out there.

But I'll see if there's anything else I can do about the general unit because I agree they look rather silly running around in plate in 1080 A.D.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimerX View Post
    Howdy from down under!

I've been around here for a long time but rarely post. I've tried quite a few mods out but all seem to suffer from something that kills most of my gaming fun.

Now this happens not just in MTW2 but in Rome, Civilization and countless many other games. I general enjoy the struggle but then as I reach a certain size and power, I realize that I can't be beaten and I lose interest rapidly. As a result, I've NEVER finished a game of Rome or MTW2 (although playing MANY hours).

Thus..this statement I disagree with...

Real empires collapsed for many reasons. This needs to be put into the game. The AOR and the whole inability to build units in new cities for sometime and distance penalties is great and it adds a good deal more than most MTW2 mods. I hope you continue looking at this path. Generals traditionally had leadership aspirations. Rome had many costly civil wars because of the conflicts between generals for examples. A blood line that gets thin can cause this...so can neglecting an area or putting in two few troops. Perhaps old nationalist views of the natives or even a devastating defeat in battle can cause regions to think the empire can be broken free from. REAL history is full of ideas for scripting.

Anyhow, I REALLY love your mod and post here to encourage you to keep it going. I get tired of switching mods all the time and am encouraged by the enthusiasm you put into your mod. I just want to reaffirm to you that many people get a lot of fun thanks to you work from this game.

Thanks and keep it up!

Oh one more thing...I'm not sure I noticed but does this mod have the blood effects (it was called blood and skymod or something a while back)?
    If Australia is "down under", am I "up over"?!?!? Thanks for your kind words. Yeah I appreciate feedback like yours and arfrisco's. I agree with you that maintaining an empire like the Byzantine's or the Holy Roman Empire should be hard. Simply because they have a huge advantage in terms of number of provinces (which means more trade, taxpayers, farms, more $$$) over someone like Portugal. So yeah, rebellious generals and malcontent taxpayers in those outer provinces should really wreak havoc on imperialistic ideas.

What arfrisco pointed out what that there were revolts in provinces he felt were core provinces of the empire and that seemingly more than one revolted all at once with no seeming rhyme or reason. That the player couldn't do anything about it. Which might make sense for Antioch, but somewhere like Adrianopole might not make sense.

But yeah, I do tend to agree that an empire in this era should he hard as hell to establish and subsequently maintain. It's the balance between an impossible game and a challenging game that all feedback I get is helping me to find!

Thanks again for the kind words! Sincerly appreciate them!

Oh, and no blood effects yet. Perhaps in the next major update.

Cheers all!
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; June 25, 2007 at 07:35 AM.

@Social Infidel

I really like the Arab Swordsmen. I dont know why CA left them out from mtw2 since they were in mtwvi. Well, now that this mod will have them i will be happy. They look really good!

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

The AOR and the whole inability to build units in new cities for sometime and distance penalties is great and it adds a good deal more than most MTW2 mods. I hope you continue looking at this path.
    Seconded,a great mod and a unique AOR system.
    Congratulations!

But yeah, I do tend to agree that an empire in this era should he hard as hell to establish and subsequently maintain. It's the balance between an impossible game and a challenging game that all feedback I get is helping me to find!
    Exactly,keep the good work.
    Last edited by Ludicus; June 25, 2007 at 03:02 PM.

Hey Socal, which units are free upkeep for the early settlements... I saw your reply on the castle ones but for the life of me I can't figure out the cities. I know its not milita at least for the first 2 levels. That or I'm missing something with this AOR stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightravn View Post
    Hey Socal, which units are free upkeep for the early settlements... I saw your reply on the castle ones but for the life of me I can't figure out the cities. I know its not milita at least for the first 2 levels. That or I'm missing something with this AOR stuff.
    All the militia units have free upkeep but I suspect the problem is that there are militia units in settlements that cannot yet recruit that type of unit. That is, I may have a spear militia unit assigned to a settlement that can only recruit town militia. In those instances, you can't get free upkeep as you only get it if you have the ability to recruit that unit.

If that's the case, then I'll add that it my list of things to do. Assign initial militia units to factions based on whether they have a town watch or town guard.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: *Upcoming Mod Announcement* MIITW: PRO DEO ET REGE

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post

I just need to run a few more auto-run campaigns and fix a few things. It will be a little rough around the edges (e.g. ugly-as-sin unit cards, missing unit_info cards here and there, mostly 2D graphics stuff) but fully playable otherwise.
    How do you auto run the campaign? I have been dying to try that, still remember the weird results from RTW.