Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: **PRO DEO ET REGE v0.3A BETA FEEDBACK AND DISCUSSIOn**

Default Re: *Upcoming Mod Announcement* MIITW: PRO DEO ET REGE

Social Infidel,

nice looking mod! I'm definitely looking forward to it. So here's the question, any estimated release date?

THE P-MAN
    Chuck Norris can make a paraplegic run for his life.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Quote Originally Posted by finneys13 View Post
    If you want the Scottish and Irish places in Gaelic then:

- Change Galway to city name Tuaim, region name Connacht, maybe move the settlement a fraction north of Galway
    - Change Cork to its Irish name Corcaigh, region Muma
    - Change Dublin to its Irish name Baile Átha Cliath, region called Laighin.

If you want to add a fourth, northern region, not saying you should, make it region Ulaid, city Ard Macha, with a church in it.

In Scotland:

- Inverness to become city Inbhir Nis, region Muireb
    - Edinburgh is a tough one, it was an English speaking city under a Gaelic monarchy, so either keep it as Edinburgh and make the region Lothian, or make the city Dun Èideann and the region Lodainn.
    - I don't think Dumfries had much importance in 1080, Dumbarton wasn't a million miles away, maybe use that instead. City name Dun Breatann, region Srath Chluaidh.

Anything else to do done?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Man View Post
    Social Infidel,

nice looking mod! I'm definitely looking forward to it. So here's the question, any estimated release date?

THE P-MAN
    I'm heading out of the city tomorrow for a day or two, so the plan is to release a rough beta version tonight...if all goes well.

The basics are in place already. I just need to run a few more auto-run campaigns and fix a few things. It will be a little rough around the edges (e.g. ugly-as-sin unit cards, missing unit_info cards here and there, mostly 2D graphics stuff) but fully playable otherwise.

After that, hopefully based on any feedback here, I'll do some more balancing of economy/AoR System, etc and build up for a full release.

So short answer - if all goes well, expect a rough beta tonight (EST). At least that's the plan.

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

And will it be easy to reshow the region borders in the minimap? Not keen on big patches of colours.

And did you change the Sicilian names from CNP standard? They were Italianised for a reason.

And is Ireland effected by the new AOR system, it's no on that *.pdf file?

sweet.... my wife is going to be mad. lol
    Chuck Norris can make a paraplegic run for his life.

And will it be easy to reshow the region borders in the minimap? Not keen on big patches of colours.

And did you change the Sicilian names from CNP standard? They were Italianised for a reason.

And is Ireland effected by the new AOR system, it's no on that *.pdf file?
    Yes. If people don't care for the lack of region borders, I'll include a descr_sm_factions that re-enable them.

My bad again. Ireland is included in the system. Galloglaichs and Irish Kerns atm. Once I get the hang of skinning (or get a helping hand), I'd like to include more regional units all around.

I'm kinda torn on the Sicilian names to be quite honest. Personally, I'm really fascinated by the Norman holdings in Southern Italy. And I think it's mostly a matter of personal taste, but I kinda prefer the French-Norman names a little especially given the time-frame. But again, I can put it on my list of things to do to include an optional names list from deRougemount's and your CNP.

Thanks for the feedback!

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

The Venetian Doge is "Considered a Poulain", eh ? Pleased to see that someone has come across one of the 'smaller' traits in BBB.

My only concern at the moment is that your mod will not be compatible with my burrek/whitewolf battle_models.modeldb, as you added AoR units to the game (at least, when I implemented a personal AoR system, it required I edit the file).

EDIT: Another question/concern: Have you edited the campaign ai at all? Naturally, I would like to use Ultimate AI 1.5/1.6, but if you have tweaked the AI and AI expansion pattern to your own tastes, all the more better.
    Last edited by Pnutmaster; June 08, 2007 at 10:01 AM.
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Quote Originally Posted by Pnutmaster View Post
    The Venetian Doge is "Considered a Poulain", eh ? Pleased to see that someone has come across one of the 'smaller' traits in BBB.
    Hasn't stoppd him from forging a nice little empire for himself!

My only concern at the moment is that your mod will not be compatible with my burrek/whitewolf battle_models.modeldb, as you added AoR units to the game (at least, when I implemented a personal AoR system, it required I edit the file).
    I do plan on including new textures for the factions at some point, just haven't had time to edit that file yet. And still haven't decided which ones I'd like to include - Whitewolf's look good as do Disgruntled Goat's.

Merging the files would take some time but is do-able. Basically, all I did was add "4 merc" status for the Regional AoR system units in the modelsdb and added mercenary_status and ownership all in the edu...

But yes, v.1.0, I defintely plan on adding new textures.

p.s. Still haven't started a campaign with BBB2.0 yet. For now all I do is auto-run campaigns and take control of factions and scan their traits and ancillaries list...

Edit:

EDIT: Another question/concern: Have you edited the campaign ai at all? Naturally, I would like to use Ultimate AI 1.5/1.6, but if you have tweaked the AI and AI expansion pattern to your own tastes, all the more better.
    I actually haven't touched the campaign ai files at all yet. From what I have gathered and from experience, the 1.2 AI is pretty good. But certainly if you prefer UAI, you can just dump those (what is it?) 4 files in the data folder and edit the descr_strat accordingly.

Does UAI still restrict different faith alliances? Because at first I was keen on that, but now, I don't know, the more I read the more I see Christians allied with Islamic factions from time to time.

The only thing I just can't stand about vanilla AI is when I get an announcement that the Moors and the Pope have entered an alliance. Kills it for me and means one thing - new campaign!
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; June 08, 2007 at 10:20 AM.

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

I figured you would say that. Leave the grueling task of editing the descr_strat to me!

But, to answer to your question, UAI 1.5 does allow you to waive the alliance restrictions. Strangely, I also remember seeing the Moors and Papacy ally in Vanilla. That of course can be prevented early on by declaring the first crusade on Marrakesh and jump starting the Reconquista, hehehe
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Default Re: **RELEASED** MIITW: PRO DEO ET REGE (includes Regional Area of Recruitment System)

Main post updated. Beta v0.1 has been released

Heading out of town for the rest of the weekend for some much needed R & R. Please feel free to leave any comments and/or suggestions, I'll be back Sunday.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; June 09, 2007 at 05:43 AM.

Default Re: **RELEASED** MIITW: PRO DEO ET REGE (includes Regional Area of Recruitment System)

First person to download it, it seems, 'mon people.

Thanks finneys13! Seems like I forgot include your splotch-free version of the descr_sm_factions file. Gimme a sec and I'll attach.

edit-attached
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; June 09, 2007 at 06:49 AM.

Lovely.

One to note and I see straight away is that the Scottish family tree is not correct, you left out the King's two oldest sons, like vanilla did.

But I like the way you show the present king's parents.

Now to load up the game.

And continuing with Scotland, for some reason you edited the king's name, to Mael'Coluim, while it should be Máel Coluim, the faction leader title should be Rígh, not Rí Alban, which makes no grammatical sense and just means King of Scotland, and you removed accents from hosts of names, not just the Gaelic ones, in the game.

Basically you edited the whole of the names.txt when you had no need to.

Also Inverness says it has English rebels?

And why do you build auxillary stables in Dún Éideann, it is a home territory of the Scots?

Also, especially as there are no landbridges to Ireland, would give Scotland at least one port and a ship or two at the start, other factions have ports and boats.

And why did you call the heir's 'Crown Princes' in their native languages, in real life, they would have just be known as Princes?

Thanks for feedback. My apologies for Scottish errors. Like I mentioned this is just a beta version.

As far as names and titles, I edited the descr_strat file and names file for them before CNP released their list, and haven't yet had the time to incorporate the latest version yet. And I may have inadvertently gotten rid of accents when I cleaned up the Portuguese list.

Nice catch with the English Rebels too Must have cut and pastes wrong rebels!

And yes, they should already have the auxiliary stables built as well. That will be fixed for next version on Sunday.

I'm not a fan of landbridges personally, but I realize some people are, so I'll think about putting them back in. At least the Ireland-Scotland one. The moors seem to have no problem rushing Iberia. But the Scots always go for York early in the auto-runs I've found. So maybe the AI Scots need it back.

Again, with the Crown Prince this was before the CNP community pitched in with all the titles and I was toying with the idea on my own. Sorry.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; June 09, 2007 at 07:35 AM.

Or at least the having a port and boat to send troops to Scotland.

Now 1084:

With just the starting units plus a new family member, I'm making 0 money at all, and after building a port and aux. stables, not enough to build any markets, etc. Scotland needs a larger King's Purse, as Inverness' garrison is larger than the whole Scottish army, and England has, what 7/8 regions?

Scotland can't do anything at all.

Also the Byzantines have just been destroyed, might be something wrong with their family tree?

I would recommend using the leader and faction titles in the CNP expanded.txt, as I got native speakers to say what they should be called, still wondering how you deleted all the accents, when you used a copy of CNP, even an old one?

Or at least the having a port and boat to send troops to Scotland.

Now 1084:

With just the starting units plus a new family member, I'm making 0 money at all, and after building a port and aux. stables, not enough to build any markets, etc. Scotland needs a larger King's Purse, as Inverness' garrison is larger than the whole Scottish army, and England has, what 7/8 regions?

Scotland can't do anything at all.

Also the Byzantines have just been destroyed, might be something wrong with their family tree?

I would recommend using the leader and faction titles in the CNP expanded.txt, as I got native speakers to say what they should be called, still wondering how you deleted all the accents, when you used a copy of CNP, even an old one?
    Alright, cleaning up Scotland has now become my first priority. The game is meant to be challenging and slow. But it shouldn't stall. I'll add a port and basic market building to Edinburgh in next version and tone down the Inverness rebels.

I've never seen Byzantines destroyed so early. They must have lost their leader and heir in battle.

Edit - attaching revised descr_strat file
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; June 09, 2007 at 08:05 AM.

Excellent, as I'm now almost bankrupt doing nothing, but will give myself some extra tens of thousands and see how the game plays. Increasing there King's Purse would help a lot too I think.

There is no problem with a strong Inverness, once the two Scottish regions can muster enough forces to even challenge it.

Maybe the Byzantines got unlucky.

If you have any questions about Scotland, just ask.

Excellent, as I'm now almost bankrupt doing nothing, but will give myself some extra tens of thousands and see how the game plays. Increasing there King's Purse would help a lot too I think.

There is no problem with a strong Inverness, once the two Scottish regions can muster enough forces to even challenge it.

Maybe the Byzantines got unlucky.

If you have any questions about Scotland, just ask.
    Since you volunteered, do you think I should add dismounted mailed knights to the Scottish faction? Right now, I've not done so as their infantry is pretty strong as is.

Also, any suggestions on initial army composition. Highlanders and Border Horses fine, or should I add a unit or two of Highland Archers?

Yeah, the Byz get unlucky but usually much later once Venice gets rolling.

Thanks again for taking time to download and give feedback. Any feedback is great.

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Wow Social_infidel...

either you are really something at keeping a secret or I am just uniformed--because I never saw this coming. Your description of this mod is really what I have been looking for. Especially that you are incorporating ths most exceptional community improvements out there (BBB, CNP, TLR's Era-Based Recruiting, Dismounted Orders) and including newer community improvments ike zaPPPa's work.

Increasing crusade difficulty? Increasing the Regional AOR mechanics of empire building? This sounds fantastic.

I gotta stop now by saying I cant wait to play this and thank you (if I don't stop my keyboard is going to drown in drool or something).

Great stuff!