Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: **PRO DEO ET REGE v0.3A BETA FEEDBACK AND DISCUSSIOn**

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default **PRO DEO ET REGE v0.3A BETA FEEDBACK AND DISCUSSIOn**

[CENTER]MEDIEVAL II TOTAL WAR:
    PRO DEO ET REGE
    “For God and King”

Overview: This mod will be aimed at improved historical accuracy and realism. At two turns per year, this mod hopes to provide for a slower and more challenging campaign. Forging and maintaining an empire will not be an easy task as the player will face many obstacles in his quest for medieval dominance. From noble rebellions to increased upkeep costs for standing armies to a regional area of recruitment system that limits and restricts the amount and types of troops available to a faction in newly conquered foreign province, establishing a medieval empire will be a challenge.

Note: This is the initial beta version of this planned mod so if you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to post them. The mod is fully playable but does need some balancing tweaks, as well as minor graphical clean-up, in addition to additional planned changes (e.g. retextures). Any feedback would be appreciated.

Main Features:

I. Regional Area of Recruitment System:

Upon conquering a foreign province, a faction will find itself as strangers in a strange land. Looked upon with suspicion and faced with hostility, much work will need to be done to bring a new province into the fold. To this end, this mod implements a fully-realized Regional Area of Recruitment System that limits and restricts the amount and types of troops available to a faction in a newly conquered foreign province.

Step 1: Auxiliary Hall

Unless the newly conquered region is closely-aligned in culture (e.g. Spain and Portugal), a faction will find the existing military structures in this region useless and unable to provide for the recruitment of troops. The first step in the system that will allow for the eventual limited recruitment of a faction’s own roster of troops is an Auxiliary Hall. This building serves as a governour's residence, town hall and public meeting place. Consider it a place to show the locals that life under a new regime won't be so bad...or at least no worse than life under the old one…

This building does not allow for the recruitment of any troops but does provide a boost in public happiness and public order.

Step 2: Auxiliary Levy Barracks
    After the locals have grown accustomed to life under a new regime, a faction may build an Auxiliary Levy Barracks that allows for the recruitment of regional levy infantry units. Provinces can now be entrusted with their own local levies as garrisons. A faction’s main troops can be moved back to the front-lines from the rather mundane task of garrison-duty.

Alternatively, in a castle settlement a faction may begin building Auxiliary Bowyers (which allow for the recruitment of regional archers and missile units) or Auxiliary Stables (which allow for the recruitment of regional cavalry units), if they prefers arrows and ponies over swords and shields!

English Levy Barracks
    Andalusian Levy Javelinmen
    Byzantine Slav Levies

Step 3: Regular Line of Military Buildings and Limited Recruitment of Faction’s Own Roster

As more and more of a faction’s population move into these new regions, a faction becomes capable of constructing its regular line of military building complexes that will allow for the limited recruitment of a faction’s own roster of units.

Regional Recruitment System: Not only will a faction face the challenge of defending a far-flung province with only regional levy troops initially, but certain units from a faction’s regular roster will only be available to recruit in specific provinces.

For example, should the Almoravids gain a foothold in France they cannot expect to recruit Tuareg Camel Spearmens there even after bringing their French region firmly under their control.

II. Revised Faction Names & Starting Positions & Armies
    Factions Names: Revised all faction names for more historical feel:

Kingdom of England
    Royaume de France
    Heiliges Römisches Reich
    Reino de Castilla
    Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia
    Regno di Sicilia
    Repubblica di Genova [replaces Milan]
    Rìoghachd na h-Alba
    Kievan Rus'
    Basileia ton Rhomaiôn
    al-Murabitun Imarat
    al-Fatimiyyun Khilafah
    Selçuk Saltanat
    Condado Portucalense
    Kongeriget Danmark
    Królestwo Polski
    Magyar Királyság

Republic of Genoa: Thanks to Sicilian Vespers’ allowance of the use of his Coat of Arms and Banners, Milan has been changed to Genoa.

Repubblica di Genova: This fledgling maritime republic, in alliance with Pisa, has recently ended a campaign against Saracen corsairs in Italian waters. This campaign eventually saw the Saracens driven from their settlements on the islands of Corsica and Sardinia. However, control of these prized island possessions is still very much in dispute, as Pisa hotly contests Genova's claim to these islands. It looks increasingly likely that this situation will break out in armed conflict between these two Italian city-states.

Should conflict come, Genova is well prepared for it. Boasting a port second only to Venice in all of Italy, Genova has established itself as the one of the world's leading naval powers. Despite its supremacy at sea and despite boasting fine militia in the time-honored Italian tradition, Genova cannot hope to compete with the larger medieval powers on land...yet. A likely first step will be to move quickly into Corsica and Sardinia to consolidate its status as the coastal gateway to the Mediterranean...and beyond.

Revised Starting Positions & Armies: All factions starting positions have been revised to reflect the regions they historically held at the time. In addition, all faction’s initial armies have been revised.

III. Historical Personages, Generals & More Realistic Aging:
    Most faction’s leaders and family trees have been revised for a more correct depiction of the movers and shakers on the medieval scene at the time.

Robert Guiscard and Bohemond preparing to lay siege to Dyrrachium!

The de Hautevilles are at it again! These Slav Levies in the service of those Italian Norman free-booters prepare to enter battle against a coalition Papal Army led by Swabian Swordsmen!

Revised Titles for Faction Leaders and Heirs: thanks to deRougemont and finney13’s work in the Character Names Project, all faction leader and heir titles have been revised! Why does my Spanish king always change his name to “Rey” upon ascension to the throne?

All settlements now start out with named characters or family members governing them. However, don’t expect to blitz rebels early with your uber-generals of Vanilla! General’s bodyguard units have been decreased in size to 15 (on huge settings). Effective and loyal fighting machines? Yes. Uber-panzers able to single-handedly take out a unit of spear militia? Not likely!

Characters Live Longer! In addition, thanks to ZaPPPa’s work on character aging, characters now live longer than ever! Coupled with a lowering of the age of manhood to 14-years of age, expect to better maintain your royal bloodlines!

This Venetian Doge is 86-years young and as wrathful as ever! Will he live long enough to see Venice topple Constantinople?

Roi Reinald of France is a youthful 70-years of age! An heirless widower, however, his royal line dies with him...

IV. Stronger Rebels! Blitzing Won't Be Easy!
    Rebels recruit and retrain troops and construct buildings!

Old Ziggy here is doing his best to make sure taking Vilnius isn't easy!

V. All New Units!

Varjazi Axemen: comprised of Scandinavian adventurers, these fearsome warriors serve as the personal troops of the wealthiest Kievan noblemen.

Dismounted Mailed Knights: well trained, clad in mail armour, and armed with sword, these troops fight as well as their mounted counterparts.

Feudal Sergeants: these veteran warriors wear heavy mail armour, are armed with a spear and can be counted on to hold a line in battle.

Armenian Foot Knights: these noble knights fights in the style of dismounted Western Knights and are willing to serve fellow Christians in their campaigns against the Moslems.

Cuman Foot Archers: these Turkish warriors found in regions north of the Black Sea are accustomed to life in the saddle, but will dismount and fight on foot when the need arises.

VI. More Challenging Holy Land!
    Crusades: Taking the Holy Land was the easy part! Thanks to the new Regional AoR System and increased religious unrest, holding on to it is now even harder than ever! But there’s hope! If a faction is able to survive the first few years here, the odds are a Hospitaller or Templar Order will ask to establish a Chapter House. Also, you can count on a limited number of Outremer Knights and Sergeants to help defend your possessions in the Holy land, as well.

Knights of the Outremer
    Foot Knights and Sergeants of the Outremer

Holy Orders:
    Dismounted Order Knights: included Dismounted Order Knights for all 4 Orders thanks to zhumin1978’s fantastic mod!

Brother Sergeants: Brother-Sergeants are the lesser infantry that fight in support of their Orders. They comprise squires, rich commoners, or lesser nobility that have given up all their earthly possessions in the name of their Order. Protected by mail armour and wielding maces, these soldiers serve their Orders faithfully, but cannot be counted on in protracted melee.

Hospitaller Brother-Sergeants
    Santiago Brother-Sergeants

These Templar Foot Knights and Brother-Sergeants with the support of Armenian Foot Knights and Turcopoles prepare to face a full onslaught of Turkish Horse Archers led by the personal bodyguard of the Turkish Amirs, the Askaris!

VII. Revised Buildings and Construction Times
    City Stables and Merchant Cavalry Stables: All factions are now able to recruit their light cavalry units from city settlements. In addition, recruitment of cavalry militia has been moved to the new Merchant Cavalry Militia building.

City Stables are also included in the Regional AoR System and allow a faction to recruit
    regional light cavalry units in their new foreign lands.

Town Stables

Revised Build-Times, Bonuses and Guilds
    • Increased trade bonuses for market, port and wharf line of buildings leads to greater emphasis on trade buildings leads to greater emphasis on trade.
    • Revised build bonuses for an Explorer’s Guild. Now it may actually be worth acquiring.
    • Revised triggers for Thieves Guild, now expect to see a wider-variety of guilds in a newly conquered region
    • Increased building costs and construction time balanced to the 6 months per turn time-scale.
    • Generals are now recruitable from city/castle walls.
    • Revised number of recruitment slots for city and castles.
    • Castles given free upkeep slots

VIII. Trade Capitals, Centers and Hubs:

Not all medieval cities were equal! Due to location and resources, some cities naturally had more of an economic advantage than others. To this end, there are four levels of trade spots:

1) Commercial Capitals: these are the jewels of the medieval world! London, Venice, Constantinople…all cities that became major economic powerhouses. Should you be fortunate enough to hold one, expect greatly increased trade and wealth! Should you not, well then…get campaigning!

2) Trade Centers: these cities serve as the trade centers of a particular region and offer increased trade bonuses as well.

3) Trade Hubs: these cities serve as waypoints and stops on the main trade routes of the time and receive a slight increase in trade.

4) Minor Cities: a city that can be developed economically if the effort is put in, but one that does not boast the advantages that others naturally possess.

IX. Increased Campaigning and Army Upkeep Costs:
    Don’t expect to maintain stack after stack of large standing armies. Expanding your fledgling empire won’t be easy and it will cost you. Recruitment and upkeep costs for all units have been increased by 50%. Expecting to undertake a long campaign using primarily militia units? Expect it to really cost you. Militia upkeep costs have been increased even more to reflect the blow to a medieval empire’s economy campaigning for an extended length of time with an army comprised of commoners would be.

To counteract this, however, more free upkeep slots have been added to cities. So as long as you keep your militia units garrisoned in their home settlements, you should be fine. Also you should take advantage of your noble knights and their armed retinues (sergeant spearmen, armoured sergeants and feudal sergeants)! Not only do they have free upkeep while stationed inside castles, they have lower upkeep costs in relation to mere commoners.

X: Battle Mechanics and Unit Balancing

Greatly improved and enhanced battle mechanics and unit balancing thanks to the hard work done by Lusted and Palamedes.

XI. The Long Road’s Developer Tornnight’s Era System

Thanks to The Long Road’s developer extraordinaire, tornnight, this mod makes use of his era-based building and unit recruitment system! Don’t expect to field an army of Chivalric Knights in 1150 A.D. anymore!

XII. Bloods…Broads…and Bastards! v.2.00

Need I say more? The mini-mod that leads to major depth and medieval atmosphere!

And Much More! And More to Come!

Credits:

Lusted and Palamedes - for their great work on unit balancing and battle mechanics.
    Tornnight – for permitting me to implement his Era-Based recruitment and construction system.
    dearmad and Pnutmaster – for allowing me to use Blood, Broads and Bastards v2.00.
    SicilianVespers – for being so kind as to let me use his lovely Genoese Coat of Arms and Banners.
    burrek – for use of some textures and units from Knights and Knaves 0.95
    WhiteWolf - for his remarkable new Byzantine textures
    DisgruntledGoat - for use of his amazing new Byzantine textures
    joedreck - for allowing me to use his Kings Banners
    Salty - for his great Italian faction shields
    matko - from the Magyar Mod Team for use of his Hungarian Banners
    deRougemont and finneys13 – for their hard work on shepherding the Character Names Project
    zhumin1978 – for his fantastic Dismounted Orders Mod
    Ralendil - for his wonderful Order mounts and banners
    selenius4tsd - for use of his Highways Mod
    zaPPPa – for his invaluable findings on variable & realistic aging and death
    Everyone at TWC who has taken the time to help me out during my time here.

MORE CHANGES PLANNED! COMING SOON!
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; July 30, 2007 at 12:51 PM.

Default Re: *Upcoming Mod Announcement* MIITW: PRO DEO ET REGE

Wow! This looks fantastic! The new units and the map look great. I'll download whenever its ready.

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

So this is what you were cooking up. Very impressive. The AoR system alone begs me to give it a try.
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

i like your Dismounted Mailed Knights. i think, that these sort of knights was the main core of the knight units. when you consider how expensive the armaments were.

very nice.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

Neato. May I ask, how will you implement this?

"After the locals have grown accustomed to life under a new regime, a faction may build an Auxiliary Levy Barracks that allows for the recruitment of regional levy infantry units. Provinces can now be entrusted with their own local levies as garrisons. A faction’s main troops can be moved back to the front-lines from the rather mundane task of garrison-duty."
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

Nice !

And I like the Feudal Sergeants and the Dismounted Mailed Knights !
    And the "More Challenging Holy Land" part could be very interesting !

I have found the Truth, my end and Salvation...

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

looks very nice, now hurry up and release

Thanks for the responses everyone. Appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by tornnight View Post
    Neato. May I ask, how will you implement this?

"After the locals have grown accustomed to life under a new regime, a faction may build an Auxiliary Levy Barracks that allows for the recruitment of regional levy infantry units. Provinces can now be entrusted with their own local levies as garrisons. A faction’s main troops can be moved back to the front-lines from the rather mundane task of garrison-duty."
    Basically, what I did was create faction/culture specific military complexes for most of the factions. This way when you conquer a foreign province the military buildings already there are useless for your faction.

To be able to recruit levies initially, you need to build an auxiliary hall. It's basically the first-level barracks in the city and castle barracks line. But it doesn't allow for troop recruitment.

The next building in the barracks tree is the Auxiliary Levy Barracks (which in a city I'm thinking of making its construction dependent upon the presence of a town hall).

After you have this building, then local levies are available for you to recruit. And then you can build either a town watch (city) or garrison quarters (castle) and start recruiting regular militia units or your castle units subject to regional restrictions.

So basically recruitment of your regular roster of troops is dependent upon the construction of the auxiliary hall and auxiliary levy barracks. I've still not decided upon the overall time needed to integrate a province completely.

For now I think I have it:

Auxiliary Hall ---> 10 turns
    Town Hall ----> 6 turns
    Auxiliary Barracks ----> 8 turns
    Town Watch/Garrison Quarters - 6 turns

As I'm initially planning on a 2 turns per year time-scale, that's 15 years before you can begin recruiting your own troops in a city settlement and 12 years in a castle settlement.

So in that time, if you plan on suppressing public disorder, you're probably going to have to leave the troops who conquered the province there for awhile

Attaching a chart of the units that I'm planning on including in the system.

Thanks again for all the responses! Cheers!

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

Sounds great. Just remember that you are limited to 128 build trees.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

Pallad1um's Avatar Laetus

I was just now looking at the new nations name and noticed that Portugal isnt there. Is there no change in the name or is Portugal out? (and now that I think, where is Scotland?). Anyway, looks awesome. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallad1um View Post
    I was just now looking at the new nations name and noticed that Portugal isnt there. Is there no change in the name or is Portugal out? (and now that I think, where is Scotland?). Anyway, looks awesome. Looking forward to it!
    My bad. Portugal is still in ("Condado Portucalense"). And Scotland is Rioghachd na Alba.

Last edited by Socal_infidel; June 07, 2007 at 02:12 PM.

Pallad1um's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    My bad. Portugal is still in ("Condado Portucalense").
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    And Scotland is Rioghachd na Alba.
    And thank you very much. I keep learning something new every day.

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

Kingdom of Scotland is actually Rìoghachd na h-Alba, grammar people, where's your Gaelic grammar!

Quote Originally Posted by finneys13 View Post
    Kingdom of Scotland is actually Rìoghachd na h-Alba, grammar people, where's your Gaelic grammar!
    I must have flunked it in grade school! Thanks for the correction

UPDATE:

Some more features from this upcoming mod.

Characters live longer!

This Venetian Doge is 86-years young and as wrathful as ever! Will he live long enough to see Venice topple Constantinople?

Roi Reinald of France is a youthful 70-years of age! An heirless widower, however, his royal line dies with him...

Epic Battles!

These Slav Levies in the service of the Italian Norman free-booters the de Hautevilles prepare to enter battle against a Papal Army led by Swabian Swordsmen!

These Templar Foot Knights and Brother-Sergeants with the support of Armenian Foot Knights and Turcopoles prepare to face a full onslaught of Turkish Horse Archers led by the personal bodyguard of the Turkish Amirs, the Askaris!

Stronger Rebels! Blitzing Rebels Won't Be Easy!

Rebels recruit and retrain troops and construct buildings!

Old Ziggy here is doing his best to make sure taking Vilnius isn't easy!
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; June 08, 2007 at 01:27 AM.

Just see on your map quickly that you have Clermont-Ferrand, it was just called Clermont in the middle ages, important place too because of its crusade history.

And what new regions/cities will we see in Britain and Ireland?

Just see on your map quickly that you have Clermont-Ferrand, it was just called Clermont in the middle ages, important place too because of its crusade history.

And what new regions/cities will we see in Britain and Ireland?
    Clermont has since been corrected. Thanks!

Plymouth
    Dorchester
    Lancaster
    Dumfries
    Galway
    Cork
    Cardiff

Since we've already established my Gaelic is atrocious, would you mind clearing up the proper Gaelic spellings of the new Irish and Scottish settlements/province, as well as the ones already in the game? I'd appreciate it!

Oh, and if you have any thoughts on the new provinces I listed, by all means, feel free to chime in. Goes to anyone else too. I've tried to get important ones in there, but at the same time, there's only so many regions you can add and you don't want to place new ones clumped together with the old ones. So I've tried to spread them out for gameplay. But if there's a more important one in a region, I'm open to changing it.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; June 08, 2007 at 07:28 AM.

This mod starts in 1080, yes?

This mod starts in 1080, yes?
    Yes. (fearing what will come next)

If you want the Scottish and Irish places in Gaelic then:

- Change Galway to city name Tuaim, region name Connacht, maybe move the settlement a fraction north of Galway
    - Change Cork to its Irish name Corcaigh, region Muma
    - Change Dublin to its Irish name Baile Átha Cliath, region called Laighin.

If you want to add a fourth, northern region, not saying you should, make it region Ulaid, city Ard Macha, with a church in it.

In Scotland:

- Inverness to become city Inbhir Nis, region Muireb
    - Edinburgh is a tough one, it was an English speaking city under a Gaelic monarchy, so either keep it as Edinburgh and make the region Lothian, or make the city Dun Èideann and the region Lodainn.
    - I don't think Dumfries had much importance in 1080, Dumbarton wasn't a million miles away, maybe use that instead. City name Dun Breatann, region Srath Chluaidh.

Anything else to do done?

Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast