Thread: Greatest team...

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Default Greatest team...

...to have won nothing.

Well there are a lot of unfortunate underachievers. For me the top 5 have to be:

1.) Hungary Team of 1954 WC Final (lost to West Germany). Puskas and his men were the favourites; since then Hungarian football has never risen to the same height.

2.) Indian Cricket Team in 1996 Cricket WC Semi-Final. I was there actually; the pitch started cracking up, and the Indian Team really fell apart to some unplayable deliveries. The Eden Gardens, Kolkata Crowd really lost it (worst display of crowd behaviour I've seen,) and the match umpire awarded the game to the Srils. Tendulkar in his prime, and an Indian squad brimming with talent (Srinath, Azhar in his non-cheating prime, and Kambli at the crease!)

3.) 1974 Dutch WC Team. Cruijff and total football fail against Germany. I hate it when beautiful football fails.

4.) US National Basketball Team at the Summer Olympics. Squad of stars falls apart. Iverson....need I say more?

5.) England Euro 2004. Rooney in his 'supposed unlosable' prime, and what some said was one of the best and most 'gelled' English teams with one of the world's best midfields at that time.
    Last edited by Pra; June 06, 2007 at 04:07 PM.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Greatest team...

2006 Indianapolis Colts. For all of those who dont know American football, there are 16 games in a season, the Colts won their first 13, only been done once before. They ended up losing in the first game of the playoffs, but hey we won the championship this year .

Every year the U.S. national team doesnt bring home the gold in basketball. If only our best players would play like they did in 1992 then we would destroy other squads all of the time.

Spanish National Football team, every 4th year.

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    2006 Indianapolis Colts. For all of those who dont know American football, there are 16 games in a season, the Colts won their first 13, only been done once before. They ended up losing in the first game of the playoffs, but hey we won the championship this year
    Eh, that kind of thing happens in American Football all the time. Remember the Vikings? Lots of other teams have gone 15-1 or 14-2 and haven't won it all.

Newcastle United throughout history have had such passionate supporters ,great stadium and superb international players but haven't won anything for decades .I do like the Magpies (because of their fans)and they deserve better
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

leicester city FC, 2000/01 season (i think, gimme a year either way ), 5 games in, top of the league, 10 games in, 3rd behind Man U and Arsenal, end of the season? 17th. got relegated next season, back up the next, relegated, stayed down since.

up the foxes, anyone? anyone at all?

Gaius Drakan's Avatar Biarchus

Germany in the 2006 World Cup. They were fecking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ajm317 View Post
    Eh, that kind of thing happens in American Football all the time. Remember the Vikings? Lots of other teams have gone 15-1 or 14-2 and haven't won it all.
    None of those teams went 13-0.

None of those teams went 13-0.
    I'm pretty sure the Vikings team I mentioned were the 1 other team that did it.

And so what? 14-2 is 14-2, doesn't matter what order you do it in.

Quote Originally Posted by ajm317 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Vikings team I mentioned were the 1 other team that did it.

And so what? 14-2 is 14-2, doesn't matter what order you do it in.
    No it was the Dolphins team that went undefeated. The Colts would have been 15-1 had they not rested their starters the final two games.

No it was the Dolphins team that went undefeated. The Colts would have been 15-1 had they not rested their starters the final two games.
    My bad. The Vikings went 15-1 after losing in week 9.

Still don't see what difference it makes. 14-2 is 14-2. There's been plenty of 14-2 teams.

Well if one or two plays went their way in the San Diego game than we may have been talking about an undefeated team exiting in their first playoff game. It's also quite possible the Colts would have won that year. They routinely destroy the Broncos in the playoffs, and then would have faced the Seahawks in the SB, who they definetly could have beaten.

EDIT BTW my fault four other teams besides the Colts had reached 13-0. I now remember the Broncos doing it, and they won that year (1998?), then the Dolphins when they were undefeated. The other two I don't have a clue about, but I am pretty sure the Colts were the only one not to win a championship in the same season.
    Last edited by NaptownKnight; June 06, 2007 at 11:19 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

1999 Duke Blue Devils. Possibly the greatest college team in the past 20 years. Lost to UConn in the championship game.

And I hate Duke, but they were damn good.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince