Thread: The Athenian Scrolls, an AAR

Default The Athenian Scrolls, an AAR

This is an AAR of the Athenian faction, as told by an Athenian scribe named Mnason, a name that means 'reminding'. if its in the wrong place, etc. please feel free to move it

och aye, here goes...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Well, I suppose I better introduce you all to the Athenoi ruling family. This isn’t the famed Athenian democracy, oh no. This is the royal family of Athens, run by the man himself, Pesistratos. I’m the Chief Scribe here in Athens, and its my job to keep an historic record of all the Athenian goings on. So I should probably start by telling you a bit about Athens itself.

Pesistratos, the King of Athens, spends nearly all of his time cooped up within his city walls. He’s a bit of a recluse, as far as Kings go, but his two sons more than make up for it. First off, there’s his son and heir, Hipparchos. He’s the younger of the two Athenian sons, so his brother was more than a little hacked off when he wasn’t named heir, let me tell you. I shouldn’t say, but I don’t think feelings between the two brothers are as loving as they should be. Hippias spends most of the time in the city with his father, now he’s forty and has a family to care for. Hipparchos is content to camp just outside the city, with the main extent of the army; I feel he draws comfort from his men that he does not receive from his father or brother. Pesistratos has become distant these past few years and there are grumblings, mutterings within the city about his ability to lead the Athenian nation. But come, these are morbid words.

To Athens’ south lies the warrior-state of Sparte, ruled by the ferocious Leonidas. He lives in an encampment several miles east of the city, and our good King sent our envoy, Kallipos, to gain word from the Lakedaimon. Word came back positive, and our emissary managed to seal trade links and an alliance with their great nation. In my eyes this can only strengthen Athens, with an ally in close proximity, and one with such a legendary background on the field of battle.

To our north is unknown territory; rebels control most of the immediate threats, but further north we have heard rumours of the Makedon and Bessoi peoples, thirsty for Greek blood. Our princes have vowed not to let them get their fill.

Pesistratos may have become a weak ruler, but our wise leader still knows an opportunity when he sees one. After an incident in the straits concerning an Eretrian naval vessel and one of our fishing craft, Hipparchos immediately marched back to the city, and convinced his father to send out a ‘relief force’ – in other words, permission for him to attack Eretria. He landed a day later, and besieged the city after raiding the local countryside for foodstuffs and equipment. Some of the Athenian peoples are of the opinion he is a cruel general, treating Greek cousins in such a way, but I believe it is intelligence – he knows how to get what he wants from an enemy land, in hostile environments, and he plays to the needs of his men, not his people. The loyalty of 500 men close at hand is far important to a campaigning general than the loyalty of 50,000 one hundred miles away.

Hipparchos attacked Eretria today, says a messenger from the army.

He took command of the ram personally himself, battering down the gate with ease. Once again, Athenian engineering has proved superior to our Greek cousins. Hipparchos then led the assault through the gates, slaying the ill-prepared defenders as he and his men soared towards the central plaza, where the Eretrian King stood defiant. Hipparchos then slew the King himself, driving his sword deep into the old man’s side before throwing him off of his mount. Without their leader the rest of the Eretrian soldiers quailed, and were quickly mopped up by the Athenian horse.

Once Hipparchos had defeated the city’s inhabitants, many thought he would sack it or enslave them, judging by his warlike nature. However, in a surprising act of compassion, he let the city folk retain their freedom and livelihoods, stating, ‘We are all Greeks, and I would not see a brother of mine in slavery to another brother.’ He also took Dexippos’ body and burned it with honour in the plaza, and personally put the coins on his eyes for the boatman. We here in Athens shared a prayer that all the souls from the battle would find their way across the Styx to Hades.

It has been some months since Hipparchos’ victory in Eretria, and he has returned home to Athens to a hero’s welcome. The Athenian people see him in a new light, not at all what they had previously ordained from his deeds, but I fear his brother’s hatred towards him increases by the day. Hipparchos has returned to his army’s encampment outside the city, to counter the increasing threat of rebels massing in Thebai, yet it seems Hippias also wants some of the glory. He travelled to the camp three nights ago to join his brother, and we are told that he has been given command of half of the army, as Hipparchos’ plan is to pincer the rebels between hammer and anvil if they attempt to traverse the pass to Athens.

The Thebans attacked! They sent a small skirmish force through the mountains to scout out our borders, not suspecting our host was camped within the trees. They were broken and fled without much of a fight, our only casualty that of Memnon of the Royal Bodyguard, hacked down in the first foray. Hipparchos then drove the Thebans back to their own city, snapping at their heels all the way and besieging the city once his army had caught up. They attacked as soon as possible, Pesistratos having put a spy in the city over a year ago. The spy destroyed the gates during the night and our soldiers rushed in the next morning, butchering the sleepy defenders at the walls and securing the outer perimeter before a force could be mustered against us. When the enemy was finally mobile, their hoplitai proved quite a match, beating our own back from the plaza and routing several units. The two brothers and their men, however, stood fast, and Hipparchos blew upon his mighty horn and rallied the men to him. They steeled themselves against the next wave and sent the Theban elite scurrying, Hippias himself spearing the general from his horse as he charged our lines. I can imagine this is a great feat indeed, for the prince was in desperate need of some glory.

The battle was won, but at great cost to the Athenian forces, taking over 250 of our men, including all of our valuable cavalry. Hipparchos has left Hippias as governor in Thebai, yet he has gone back out into the field, albeit without his army. In usual circumstances Hippias would have been angered by his placing in the safety of the city, but I think he has seen all he wants of war and glory. He is not a natural fighter like his brother, and after receiving a grievous arm wound in the battle for Thebai, I am convinced he will leave all the ‘glory’ to his brother.

This is currently the extent of our new Athenian empire, carved mainly by the princes of our realm. Pesistratos has little to do with the running of our country now, and I am surprised he is not deposed by one of his sons. Hipparchos, however, seems to care little about his inheritance, and during my brief talks with him when he returns home to Athens I can deduce he only really cares for two things – fighting, and the sea. He will talk for hours about the wide, rippling ocean, its crystal shallows and murky depths, and how he dreams one day to sail across it and discover new lands. He tells me that one day he will sail to Colchis, or Kyrene, or even Latium to the west. It is rumoured that these far-off lands hold great treasures and resources, and if all does not go well on the northward campaigns…well, I can only imagine where our beloved prince will turn next.

A year has passed in Athens and once again the army is on the move. I have been ordered, by Pesistratos himself, to travel with the army and record their doings, so future generations ‘may learn of the greatness of early Athens’. I have to say, it is not one of the most comfortable experiences of my life. There is little food, and when there is it is of poor quality, yet the soldiers seem to enjoy it. I dine with Hipparchos most nights, in his private tent, yet he eats just the same as his men, if not with a little more etiquette. He spent the best part of the previous year living in a fishing village south and west of Thebai, for reasons only I and several others can fully appreciate, and came back wide-eyed and full of tales of the ocean, like a small child. A few nights ago he took me down to the cliffs in the dead of night and we watched the sea for what seemed like an age, the prince telling me all the tales he knew of mariners and explorers and sea monsters from the depths. I smile and nod courteously, yet I do not share his longing for a life on the ocean. A life on dry land is quite enough for me.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\

thats all for now, tell me if ya like it and ill carry on

Default Re: The Athenian Scrolls, an AAR

That was brilliant! I've been waiting for an Athenian AAR and this really hit the nail on the head.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

damn, theres alot of these coming up!

Maybe make a subforum for all these AAR's popping up, theyre good

well folks, you better want another one, so here goes...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Summer has returned to Greece, and with it one of our princesses married into a family of Theban nobles, thus securing a link with their peoples. The man, Agaepois, was a great commander regretfully absent at the fall of his city, only to return to find it in Athenian hands. He took this, however, with good grace and proposed marriage to the princess, which Pesistratos permitted. He now fights under our banner, alongside Hipparchos, who yet resides in the army camp. Word was sent nearly a week ago that this man was joining the Athenian forces in the field, and scouts in the countryside have reported seeing his bodyguard approaching the encampment. I cannot bring myself to trust this Theban so lightly, however, and will be watching his every move, until he can prove himself either on the battlefield, or off.

Word has also come of a tense situation in the far Aegean, near the isle of Lesvos. Our Admiral Mikos, exploring the Ionian coastline with his men, was seen and trapped in the narrow straits, unable to manoeuvre past the dormant ships and flee back to Athens. They must therefore wait until the way is cleared, or the enemy engage them, to return home with the fruits of their journey. Even as we speak a Spartan fleet powers through the waters to relieve our beleaguered navy, but they are still a good many leagues from the coast, and the Ionians grow impatient.

Hipparchos waits yet in the field, his army not yet strong enough to challenge the rebel powers that hold sway over the western Greek cities. The Lakedaimon to the south are proving reliable allies and have not shown any territorial ambitions into our lands, content with conquering the Peloponnesus and securing their own lands first. Whether in time we have to ‘deal’ with them, who can say…

Grim tidings indeed come out of Athens of late. Word reached Hippias in Thebai not a month ago that his beloved father, Pesistratos, had passed on to the next life. He immediately sent out runners to the campaigning army, who were already marching upon Naupaktos, to bring the grim news to Hipparchos. I was there as he was told, and saw his ever-strong gaze and posture falter slightly as the words washed over him. Then he let out a bellow of rage, startling his young captains nearby, and pointed his sword towards Naupaktos, yelling, ‘To war! Take this city in the name of Athens and its King!’ It seemed he had completely forgotten that he was now the king.

Meanwhile, in the blue Aegean, Admiral Mikos’ ships were able to escape thanks to Spartan intervention. We got word that the Lakedaimon ships herded their Ionian inferiors out into the deeper waters, and so opened the passage round the cliffs and back out into the calm seas. One of Hipparchos’ first acts as king was to send an envoy to Sparte, and grant them a gift of gold and treasures, in appreciation for their bravery. I also believe it was to keep them sweet towards our fast-growing nation, as the death of a king can sometimes sour diplomatic relations between to kingdoms such as ours. Kallipos, our chief emissary, also sailed over to Lydia, in search of new trade routes and alliances he could forge with our country. He was transported by the recently returned Mikos, who now rests warily off the coast of Makedon, watching the shores intently for signs of hostility.

Hippias’ son has also come of age, a young man by the name of Laches. He will be a great addition to the royal family, yet he is very unlike his father in many aspects, and much prefers to venture out with the armies and scouts, and learn the ways of the woodsman. Hippias, however, seems past caring after the death of his father, and has shut himself away in Thebai to the annoyance of his brother, Hipparchos. Laches himself has also journeyed to Naupaktos to join the siege, with or without his father’s consent, and our numbers swell by the day as disillusioned peasants flock to our great banner.

We go to war! Hipparchos mustered the army sometime during the night, and only woke me as they were leaving the camp. Winter’s bitter chill is already starting to grip these usually warm shores, so I wrapped up in a great cloak and fur to follow the soldiers down the hillside to the city.

The men ordered themselves in front of the city in lines four men thick, the general and his two loyal captains taking the centre and both flanks accordingly. The ram was wheeled steadily into place at the very front of the host, and from my vantage point atop the hill I could see the defenders milling about within their walls, hurrying to arm themselves and reinforce the wooden gates.
    The Naupaktian general, Prytanes, stood in the high street directly behind the gate, his hoplitai surrounding him like a spring cocoon. I noted how only he stayed stock still as the rest of his men quailed at our advancing army, running to board up windows and doors and extinguish any flames in their homes. I can remember thinking that he would be a worthy general to defeat when the ram reached the gate, and began smashing its way through.

The gate was down within minutes and the archers hurried forwards, warding the defenders out of the breach with thickets of arrows, pinning soldiers to the ground in swathes of blood. Then, with a hoarse cry, Hipparchos threw himself forwards, bearing down on the enemy gates with his hoplitai sprinting behind him, their echoing chants booming across the valley. Hoplite smashed into hoplite as the Athenian infantry met the Naupaktian, stray spears and swords hewing flesh and bone. Even from high on the hill I heard the screams of the dying warriors as the Naupaktians were broken, and my brave King pursued them to the very heart of the city.

In the tight, winding streets of Naupaktos, my King and his brave captains fought their way through hordes of Dorikoi Hoplitai, wading through the masses of bodies that fell all around them. Then, a band of peltasts that had crept round a back way through the city emerged into the fight, cornering the Naupaktian king between their spears and the armoured mass of the advancing hoplites. With a defiant rearing of his horse, Prytanes rode to his fate.

The courageous Greek managed to fend off the peltasts, who retreated to regroup, but he could not overwhelm the might of Laches’ hoplites. He killed many before a sharp spear thrust from Laches brought his horse down; his bodyguards finishing the job with their swords. Laches then proceeded to engage the Dorikoi guarding the city centre, allowing his comrades precious time to realign and purge another path forwards to help him. Soon the battle was over; the body of Prytanes lying almost forgotten beneath the corpses of his brothers. Hipparchos once again held a funeral with honour, and Laches, the Naupaktian’s killer, took up governorship of the province.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

there. now im done for another day. go away.

Keep up the story, really enjoying it!

thnx for all the positive feedback guys, next installment soon, when a certain diplomatic relationship takes a turn for the worse...

righto, next one. this ones quite long, took me a while

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

A favourable wind blows from the east as we head into a new year, and our empire prospers. Hipparchos is becoming a sturdy general, always capable of taking in unexpected turns for the worse and able to confidently direct his men on the battlefield. His skills in politics may leave a lot to be desired as of yet, but he is making inroads into his new kingship and he is not in disfavour with the people, mostly on account of his many victories.

It seems Hipparchos is also much warier of our enemies’ doings in their own lands, and he sent out several spies and informants to neighbouring kingdoms to survey their military and economic might, weighing it up against the power of Athens. One such spy infiltrated the northern town of Phylake, reporting back to the camp recently with word of a moderately strong phalanx army, yet an exploitable lack of cavalry. After the king’s next… ‘errand’… he has vowed to set his sights on Phylake and its profits.

However, before Hipparchos could put into practise his most recent plans, our allies in Sparta attacked the nearby town of Argos, besieging it and cutting it off from all supplies.

To avoid a costly siege that could claim many Spartan lives, and in a gesture of thanks for the recent naval help granted by the Lakedaimon, Hipparchos marched down to Argos with the army, and also layed siege to the town.

In the meantime, Hipparchos has received an emissary from Kalippos, who currently resides in the east with the Ionians, that the diplomat has purged further eastwards and come to the city of Sfard, where he met with the Lydian council and negotiated further trade rights and another alliance. Kalippos then returned to his easterly travels, forging a path straight through the Lydian desert.

Hipparchos met the Lakedaimon general, Agesilaos, to discuss battle plans a few nights ago, in a small cottage near the two encampments. In the time that he was gone I was ordered to practise my swordmastery and skills with a spear, for it is apparent that the king wishes me to join him in battle as part of his bodyguard. I am a scribe, and no use with a weapon in my hand, but Hipparchos insists that I get a first-hand account of the battle itself, to record in all its glory. I humbly obeyed, and trained long into the night until my arm ached and my fingers were scuffed and bleeding.

War is upon us again! The horns were blown at dawn this morning, and for the first time in my life I rushed with the other soldiers to don armour and helmets, and wrap cloaks around my fragile body. A spear was thrust into my hand by Hipparchos himself, with a wry grimace and a comradely slapping of the shoulder. ‘Come on, scribe,’ he said to me jokingly, leading the way to where the rest of his bodyguard stood, all impatient for the coming fight.

We marched on the gate at the second calling of the horn. The Lakedaimon skirted the city walls and attacked from the east, charging through the trees to batter down the enemy’s gates. I marched solemnly with the rest of the army, struggling in the heavy armour, unable to see out of the eye-slit in my helmet. I stumbled countless times, but there was always a strong arm ready to haul me back to my feet.

The gate was down quickly once again and Hipparchos once again led the frantic charge into the city, routing the light defense on our side. We then carried on through the streets, only halting when a group of twenty or so horsemen hurtled out of a side-street and cannoned into our flank, both surprising and angering us.

Hipparchos fought almost unstoppably, hacking and slashing at Argos’ proud cavalrymen as they were cut from their saddles. I remember running around aimlessly for a long time before a horse reared up in front of me; without thinking my spear came up and I drove it straight through the rider’s thigh, pinning him to the horse in agony.

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flailing spear-butt strike my king in the jaw, knocking him to the ground heavily. The horseman turned but I had already darted over, my spear held protectively over my lord’s body as he struggled to regain his footing. The rider hesitated, seemed to think better of it, and joined his comrades, who were now fleeing back to their plaza.

The Spartans still pinned down on the other side of the city, where the heaviest of Argos’ units had been placed, we drove a path to the central plaza, slaying any who opposed us. The enemy general, Aisklepios, rallied his men desperately, but his units were no match for our well-trained hoplites. He was soon surrounded by our troops, but put up a tough fight, whil Hipparchos forced his way through the throng to face him.

Aisklepios met Hipparchos in the middle of the plaza, our mighty king saluting him respectfully. The two duelled for over a minute, but Aisklepios was old and tired soon fell to Hipparchos’ scything blade, his head rolling from his shoulders. The Lakedaimon help soon arrived from the east, crushing the enemy hoplites between our forces and winning the day.

After leaving Argos in Spartan hands Hipparchos marched slowly back to Athens, as there was no present threat to attend to. Little did he know, that front would soon change…

When the army reached the capital, our king unveiled his next great conquest. Loading the army onto Admiral Mikos’ ships, he immediately set sail for the isle of Crete, where rebels roamed at will. The fleet anchored just off the western coast, ready to assault the city in the morning.

However, we were undone! While our forces sat aboard the boats in the blue Aegean, our trusted ally, Sparta, struck from the south! In a blitz of armies, the Lakedaimon smashed their way out of Peloponnesus, besieging Thebai and routing a small Athenian guard force just outside the capital. Hipparchos and the army was warned immediately, and we hastened back to the city, disembarking just north of Thebes and marching down to the great Athenian highway. If those treacherous Spartans wanted Athenian blood, they’d have to take ours first.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

right, phew that was a long one. imageshack must be all tired out frm those images
    now begone while i construct more athenian shenanigans

:

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

Awsome pictures, keep it going

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

imageshack is givin me a hard time cuz i have over 100 pics of ROP

ok im gonna write the next section now guys, ive got a few hours to spare
    stay tuned

what happened to the aar?

It died....wow, nearly a year ago now. I no longer have RoP installed...I am considering a new AAR somewhere else though, stay tuned to this frequency.

:o I remember this... I didn't realise you wrote this though!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz View Post
    :o I remember this... I didn't realise you wrote this though!
    I sure did, back when I was Melboy, I think. I may do a SS 6.0 AAR with....Aragon

I keep on telling myself I don't have time for AARs, I shouldn't start them..blahnblahbalh...but RoP 2.2 comes out so soon!

True, SS 6.0 is out too.. been keen to play that as well.. but RoP 2.2 more!