Thread: How do I make Portuguese speak Spanish?

caralampio's Avatar Magnificus

Default How do I make Portuguese speak Spanish?

As I speak fluent Spanish, I love to hear the members of this faction speaking it. I recall seeing somewhere that there was an option to make the Portuguese speak Spanish as well, which makes a lot of sense until a real Portuguese mod can be made (they are related languages). How do I do it?

Default Re: How do I make Portuguese speak Spanish?

Unfortunately I have no idea how.

These languages are related, however, not in the sence that one comes from another.

Nowadays Spanish originated from the region of Leon-Castile, hence it's more correct name "Castelan". Portuguese on the other hand first originated in northern Portugal and Gallicia, the name of the language was Gallician-Portuguese.

Both languages evolved directly from Latim, however, during their evolutionary process, they have exchanced some characteristics.

Have in mind that in the Iberian Peninsula there are more languages than just Spanish and Portuguese, and all these languages evolved from Latim in their own ways.

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

numerosdecimus, I don't think that's what he wanted to know

caralampio - it's an easy thing to do!

Just go to m2tw\data\sounds and delete events.*.

Then go back to m2tw\data and open up descr_sounds_accents.txt.
    Move the word "portugal" from "accent Mediterranean" to "accent Spanish". Make sure to get the commas and spaces right. Then start the game. From now on, the Portuguese will speak Spanish in the game, not English.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

caralampio's Avatar Magnificus

Thanks to both!

I know these languages are sisters, not derived from one another. Latin is the mother of all. Knowing Spanish, I can understand about 2/3 of (slowly) spoken Portuguese and about 3/4 of Italian. Same with Catalan, which sounds like a chewed-up Spanish (no offense to Spanish or Catalans). Strangely, with French, which is another Latin-derived language, I can only catch a word here and there :hm:.

What other languages are there in Iberia? I'm aware of Basque, but that is not a Latin tongue.

Thanks for the great mod, but I have too problems to get this option of Portugese speaking Spanish to work...

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss View Post
    Just go to m2tw\data\sounds and delete events.*.

Then go back to m2tw\data and open up descr_sounds_accents.txt.
    Move the word "portugal" from "accent Mediterranean" to "accent Spanish". Make sure to get the commas and spaces right. Then start the game. From now on, the Portuguese will speak Spanish in the game, not English.
    This is strange. There are no Spanish accent in my descr_sounds_accent.txt file(as there are no Russian or Italian for that matter) . So I added the Spanish accent line there and moved both "spain" and "portugal" next to it. It did not worked until I deleted both events.* files as you mentioned above. Now portugese are speaking Spanish, but sound effects(except music & voices) disappeared with deleted events.* files.

I copypasted the old events*.* back, so the soundeffects are working again, but Portugese are, of course, speaking again English. So I'm a bit lost what to do bext...

Any ideas for help?

I have English version 1.02 with all Xenophonia voicepacks(except English & Scottish) installed.

EDIT: Ach! Please forget that mess above! A Certain other mod had altered the descr_sounds_accent.txt without my notification. Silly old me.

Time to reinstall the whole game. And I like to say that this mod should be essential to any other mod. In fact so much, that I'll make backup of vanilla M2TW 1.2 folder with Xenophonia installed, so I can return the original settings easily in the future. And if any other mod refuses to cooperate with Xenophonia, then I just refuse to play that particular mod!

It really adds so much to immersion when you can hear emissaries and troops speaking with their native languages. Or even with languages that resembles their native tongue more than English does(ie. Polish speaking Russian or Portugese speaking Spanish). It really escapes me why every "realism mod" don't make sure that they are compatible with Xenophonia in the first place. Shame on them!

Hope you'll end up having some new languages in the future with the Xenophonia. In fact even one genuinely new(=meaning that it is not ripped of localized version of the M2TW, but a new recording) language would be a huge thing.
    Last edited by Katzbalger; June 30, 2007 at 07:28 PM.

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Thanks, and glad to know you solved it. We'll be adding new languages as soon as we can. There won't be any more localization rips, because we've already ripped them all
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Quote Originally Posted by caralampio View Post
    What other languages are there in Iberia? I'm aware of Basque, but that is not a Latin tongue.
    That I can remember Asturian, Leonese, Galician, Portuguese, Catalan, and Castilian (commonly know as Spanish). All Latin languages. And some more dialects can be found.

And, of course, there is the basque, a language that was almost dead by the beginning of the XX century, and that was partially reconstructed with the help of the Castilian.
    Um dia destes vou mudar a minha assinatura.