Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forming a new group

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Forming a new group

I have considered doing this for a long time, in fact I bought the domain name a couple of years ago. What I am looking to form is a group of people (5-10?) who want to get hardcore into the structure of the Total War games, starting with M2TW and moving forward. The main goal would first be organization; while twcenter is a great resource some things are very hard to find as they are buried on page 3 of a thread or not listed in the right forum and doing a search for something like "scripting" brings up 1000 possibilities. This is not designed to be a replacement for twcenter or the org but an added resource where people can download files and get some modding help.

Once things are well on their way to being organized the team will take a look at not only some of the mods that are out there but take a new approach to things that have already been done, I already have some thoughts on a dynamic economic system for one instead of the static system now used. We will also take a look at merging some of the more popular mods out there, credit will always be given of course, and then building on those to create new and uniue stuff. Once the team is confident in their skills a full blown conversion mod is a definite possibility.

Some of the resources I will provide:
    Domain name and website with a full blown forum
    Your own email address
    FTP access
    Teamspeak for live chat when working or gaming

Maybe a handmade goodie or two from my woodshop for Christmas lol

The main goal here is to spread knowledge, and create the best modding repository on the net. You dont have to be an expert at anything, it will be a learning process for us all, myself included. If you pick things up fairly quickly after being shown the basics, if you have limited skills and want to improve them, , if you want to be part of an organized team then hit me up and lets talk.

Webmaster:
    This is probably the most important member for what I want to do. Obviously the best scenario would be to have an expert asp/php/sql person but I doubt I will get that. What might actually work better is to get someone familiar with html, css, and mysql (optional) who is either going to school or will be going to school for web design. I am decent with all and can even give you some help. The webmasters job would be to come up with a design that not only looks good but is functional. Again I can do this but my weakness is graphics, partly because I am partially color blind and partly because I am not artistic at all.

Audio:
    Do you like to tinker with mp3s? Make custom sounds and edit music? Dou you play an instrument or have a good voice?

Scripting:
    I will probably do a lot of this one, but the more the merrier. If you have any skills with nearly any language out there you can pick up the basics of scripting in a couple of days, then move on to more advanced stuff.

Coding:
    The basic mechanics of the game. This one pretty much covers the spectrum, but can be picked up easily. A great spot to start before you try scripting.

Units:
    Have some cool unit ideas? Want to tinker with balance and adding new units? Get the basics done then have the lazy artwork guy get you a skin and a unit card.

Mapping:
    Have a cool map idea? Have basic photoshop skills and need to take it farther? This one is for you. If you can get the basics down the rest of the team will help with coding the factions and resources.

Research:
    Not only historical research, but perhaps digging into files for specific information, such as was done for the FAUST or VnV files. Coming up with quotes for mods,

Artwork:
    If you are a decent artist with good ideas but just need help getting the coding and scripting right to get your artwork out there, then this is the spot for you. Anything from unit cards to skins to splash screens or anything else you can come up with.

Technical writing:
    If you are the kind of person that can understand how something works and explain it to other people simply, then this is the spot for you.

As I said earlier, nobody has to be an expert. If you have no experience with modding at all but can demonstrate an ability to learn and to work with a team then this might be your best shot at being a part of something bigger than one person.

Default Re: Forming a new group

So basically your looking for some people who are into making mods right? Well if thats what this is about sign me up, i would love to make the maps or make the sounds as well. Well i geuss thats all there is to it, i guess ill just wait for an answer. Or just PM me if you can.

bubka's Avatar Miles

I'm in, but I have an objection, we start with RTW and move forward. That game's close to my heart.
    Co founder of the Rookie's Nook!
    • New to modding?
    • Have some experience?
    • No experience at all?
    Then Rookie's Nook is just about the perfect place for you! Join the other newbies in your first projects here! Make your dreams come true ...

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

If we are talking about RTW onwards count me in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

oscarreeve's Avatar Getafix Loyal Companion

It could help. ( but only for rtw )

My Army ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Thanks for the response guys.

I have no problem with having an RTW downloads section, or in having some people focused on porting RTW mods to M2TW. However M2TW is the future of the TW series and I want to move forwards not backwards.

I have been working on the website and forum stuff today so I havent been able to respond until now. In the next day or two I will be contacting everyone that posted here and everyone that sent a PM.

Hi i would like to be a member of the team. (only if it will be modding M2TW) i have some basic knowledge of 3d studio max (RTW) and milkshape (Faces of War) modeling. I also can work with photoshop (visit the sig thread for some of my works) Also i can setup a pretty decent forums. Here's the example

www.facesofwar.eamped.com (it's for Faces of War game- I'm RUSGeneral there)

www.scorpiopcs.com (setted up for a friends compani and got a relatively great pc in exchange-for a small amount of cash )

so please consider my application (only if it's for M2TW modding)

Author of the Battle of Kenross AAR

Yes i would actually like to set up forums as well, ive had some expierence with that, wow and im glad so many people decided to answer this post. Seroiusly when i answered it i thought i was going to be the only one. also i think its a good idea that we start on MTW2 instead of rome, just for the fact that green eyed devil already said that we should start advancing not going back to other things.
    Last edited by ThaBolks; June 03, 2007 at 08:35 PM.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Ok the website is up and running. Theres still some work to do there but the basics are organized.

www.twmodsquad.com

Currently we have myself, Maximiliam I, and ThaBolks. Even if you arent interested in joining a team full time you can still contribute via the forum or in other ways. At least drop in and let me know what you think.

good work mate, now we can concentrate on actual modding

bubka's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Ok the website is up and running. Theres still some work to do there but the basics are organized.

www.twmodsquad.com

Currently we have myself, Maximiliam I, and ThaBolks. Even if you arent interested in joining a team full time you can still contribute via the forum or in other ways. At least drop in and let me know what you think.
    Hey I signed up too!
    • New to modding?
    • Have some experience?
    • No experience at all?
    Then Rookie's Nook is just about the perfect place for you! Join the other newbies in your first projects here! Make your dreams come true ...

hey im in

But aren't you guys in Rookie's Nook? And this group is about modding M2TW and not RTW.

P.S. Anyone we really need a good historian/researcher.
    Last edited by Maximilian I; June 09, 2007 at 09:52 AM.

bubka's Avatar Miles

Rookies' Nook is different from this. It is within TWC entirely and not based on RTW only. (In fact, though it is unlikely, even if someone wants to mod MTW in the Nook, I'll dig up my MTW and see what we can do.)
    • New to modding?
    • Have some experience?
    • No experience at all?

BTW i really love history so if im not doing mapping or sounds at the time i can easily do historical research, i seroiusly have like 9 books just on the crusades, so ya ic an help in that dept.

bubka's Avatar Miles

ThaBolks you have stopped posting in the squad site.
    • New to modding?
    • Have some experience?
    • No experience at all?

Quote Originally Posted by ThaBolks View Post
    BTW i really love history so if im not doing mapping or sounds at the time i can easily do historical research, i seroiusly have like 9 books just on the crusades, so ya ic an help in that dept.
    actually we really need a good researcher/historian, i have like tons of things to ask you for help.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

We have a few more members now, and things are coming together. Come check us out.

preston's Avatar Semisalis

i'm there now. very nice site i like it alot and i think its a great idea that there is a group out there to help newcomers to the modding scene become modders and make the already modders better
    MEMBER OF S.I.N.

I joined, I am a coder, and battle system modder.
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast