Thread: Free upkeep for Mongol / Timurid faction

notger's Avatar Decanus

Default Free upkeep for Mongol / Timurid faction

Hello GrandViz (and Point Blank, since you are also in charge of the EDU):

The mongolian zero-upkeep units are unrealistic and unbalanced. I accept, that the Mongols should be able to support a large army even without having a settlement, since they have a lot of settlements off the map.

But I do not like the fact, that they can recruit zero-upkeep-armies.

I have two separate propositions to solve that:
    a) Raise the Kings purse and let them pay upkeep accordingly. The Kings purse could be high enough to maintain their initial armies, thus simulating the unseen empire in central asia that finances them.

b) Another solution could be to make all newly recruitable units cost upkeep. You could introduce shadow units ('mongol foot archers' and 'mongol foot archers new') that cost upkeep and only these shadow units are recruitable.

Personally, I prefer option b) and I have modded every game like this. The result has always been satisfying. The Mongols still are a great threat but they do not acquire 30 stacks full of elite troops.

Regards
    Notger.

BTW: I love your mod! I never allied-battles on the field, but now, the French have come to may aid, relieving a siege and even attacking an enemy stack neighbouring mine, thus creating an alliance battle. Great!

Default Re: Free upkeep for Mongol / Timurid faction

Quote Originally Posted by notger View Post
    Hello GrandViz (and Point Blank, since you are also in charge of the EDU):
    Well I'm not in charge of the EDU, this is GrandViZ's mod and its certainly his EDU to change But I think this is a great mod also!
    Last edited by Point Blank; June 03, 2007 at 05:02 AM.

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

I don't see a difference between giving them free upkeep or free money. The people expect the horde to be the horde!
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

notger's Avatar Decanus

The difference is, that free money limits the number of 'free' units, whereas free upkeep allows them to recruit an endless supply of free troops.

EDIT: Another interesting fact I came across, yesterday, is the question, why the almighty-Mongols didn't conquer Europe. The 'Cambridge illustrated atlas warfare - The Middle Ages' claims that most historians (numbers not given) are of the opinion, that not internal struggles, luck or a divine wonder saved Europe, but its forests and hills did. The Mongols were extremely relying on grass plains to feed their horses. These grass plains extended through Asia to western Russia, Hungary and modern day Anatolia. It seems to be no coincidence that these regions are the farthest, the Mongolian troops made it. Further attemps were not undertaken or were repelled.
    They either saw that they would not be able to lead war their way or they were beaten in their own game, as the Mamluks did, who foiled several invasions to Syria by putting up better horse archers than the Mongols had. (By this time, the Mongols mostly relied on hired troops from the conquered tribes; the Mongols themselves had become captains and leaders).

So what is the conclusion for this game?

From what I know about editing, it is not possible to forbid the Mongols entering central Europe. Besides, it would spoil some of the fun.
    What would be possible, would be to add a grave penalty for Mongols when fighting in the desert or in the woods. That is one point.

Furthermore, Mongols were in need of plunder to finance their moving army. That means they needed to pay some upkeep. Maybe grass comes for free, but bows, sinews, iron, siege weapons and food certainly come not for free.

I like the Mongols appearing as a horde, but I want them to be subject to the same game-mechanics and restrictions, as I as the player and all other AI factions are. Everything else feels like a fabricated threat. Therefore I plead for letting them pay upkeep for their troops and compensating this by giving them a higher kings purse. This would lead to them being able to field a big army, but not being able to field an infinitefely big army, like they can now, since they are not restricted by money problems.
    Last edited by notger; June 05, 2007 at 03:18 AM.