Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Genoese Faction Thread

Default The Genoese Faction Thread

Ok I opened a new thread to post some infos and additions to make at Genoese faction. Let's go step by step:

-----------------
    LIST OF BISHOPS
    This site post ALL the Genoese bishops from 312 to 1130

http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/vescovi.htm

-----------------

LIST OF PODESTAS
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/podesta.htm

PEOPLE'S CAPTAINS
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/capitani.htm

DOGIs
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/dogi.htm

ADMINISTRATIVES
    Good to name emissaries, spies and so on!!! There are names of ambassadors that could be used!!!
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/governo.htm

GENERALS AND COMMANDERS
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/armigeri.htm
    ----------------------

ALL LISTS
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/elenchi.htm

Default Re: Shields

These are the shields for Towns that I found out. Within a couple of days I will post the noble families' ones.

These shield could be used for Militia and Infantry troops, to symbolize the conscription which obliged all republican citizen to fight in case of war. They are not suitable for noble cavalry units, which are better to use nobles' shields.

WESTERN LIGURIAN TOWNS

Noli (White cross in Red flag)

Savona

Albenga

Finale Ligure (also Del Carretto Family)

Triora

Ventimilia

Taggia

Gavi

EASTERN LIGURIAN TOWNS

Genova

Lavagna (formerly called Entella)

Chiavari

Ricina (now called Recco)

Rapallo

Spezia

Lerici

Sarzana

You can also add to "bynames" the following (if I did not mentioned):

di Triora
    da Entella
    da Taggia
    da Spezia
    Last edited by |Lorre|; June 01, 2007 at 05:36 PM.

Default Re: The Genoese Faction Thread (LoL)

Quote Originally Posted by |Lorre| View Post
    Ok I opened a new thread to post some infos and additions to make at Genoese faction. Let's go step by step:

-----------------
    LIST OF BISHOPS
    This site post ALL the Genoese bishops from 312 to 1130

http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/vescovi.htm

-----------------

LIST OF PODESTAS
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/podesta.htm

PEOPLE'S CAPTAINS
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/capitani.htm

DOGIs
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/dogi.htm

ADMINISTRATIVES
    Good to name emissaries, spies and so on!!! There are names of ambassadors that could be used!!!
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/governo.htm

GENERALS AND COMMANDERS
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/armigeri.htm
    ----------------------

ALL LISTS
    http://www.vegiazena.it/famiglie/elenchi/elenchi.htm

What a great site

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)
    Chivalry I TW - The Original Medieval Total Conversion Mod (BI 1.6 Or RTW 1.5)
    Under the Patronage of Atterdag

Default Re: The Genoese Faction Thread (LoL)

I posted the genoese towns' symbols 2 posts before this, I made the links visible without clicking. These are the nobles' shields that I have found: unfortunately they are not so many, but I keep searching!

As I said, I suggest the first shields (town ones) I posted, should be used for "not noble" troops like militias, and so on, while these are suitable for cavalry and noble units.

I have noticed that some cavalry or heavy infantry shields already have the red crosses ('cause them are the symbol of both Comune di Milano and Genova), so you can leave them as they are.

I keep searching for other symbols on the net.

GENOESE NOBLE FAMILIES

Doria

Fieschi (blue stripes, (on Innocentius IV shield))

Grimaldi

Spinola

Della Volta (then Cattaneo)

Tartaro (this family changed name in Imperiale after 1311, to praise the Emperor)
    Last edited by |Lorre|; June 01, 2007 at 04:57 PM.

Default Re: The Genoese Faction Thread

Other nobles' symbols
    Cybo (or Cibo)

Malaspina

De Marini

Adorno

Campofregoso

CAMBIASO

DI NEGRO

LOMELLINI

DURAZZO

GIUSTINIANI (also Della Porta)(You have also to add this family to Genoese family names )

LERCARI

VIVALDI
    Last edited by |Lorre|; June 01, 2007 at 05:37 PM.

Ok added some symbols or corrected others... it was frightening! LOL....

I did not find some symbols, like Zaccaria, Brignole, Embriaco or Boccanegra: found these, I think it's enough....
    Last edited by |Lorre|; June 01, 2007 at 05:48 PM.

This is more than enough! Great job

I have read that the Della Porta are part of the De Marino, is that generally accepted in Genoa?
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; June 01, 2007 at 08:53 PM.

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)

Quote Originally Posted by SicilianVespers View Post
    This is more than enough! Great job

I have read that the Della Porta are part of the De Marino, is that generally accepted in Genoa?
    That's because in 1528 many genoese families united themselves in Alberghi, so probably De Marini and Della Porta unite together

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albergo...3%A0_genovese)

By the way, I don't think any game (plain or modded) has this historical accuracy for what concerns Genoa... except for Knights of Honor (a game that I loved so much) and Europa Universalis 3.

You demonstrated that history is always a big emotional adventure
    Last edited by |Lorre|; June 02, 2007 at 05:52 AM.

That's because in 1528 many genoese families united themselves in Alberghi, so probably De Marini and Della Porta unite together

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albergo_(nobilt%C3%A0_genovese)

By the way, I don't think any game (plain or modded) has this historical accuracy for what concerns Genoa... except for Knights of Honor (a game that I loved so much) and Europa Universalis 3.

You demonstrated that history is always a big emotional adventure
    Thank you

I try, but the only constraint it time.

I tried to edit some textures myself, I saw it's a bit tricky, so I now feel guilty to have asked you to change some of them....

It's a laborous work, it's not a problem if you don't manage to do that. The most important thing is carroccio's flag, the shields/coat with serpents are not so important.

While viewing descr_sm_factions.txt I saw this line in Milan (genoa)

prefers_naval_invasions no

What does it mean? I saw it is Yes for Venice and other maritime countries, is this better to extend to Genoa too?

While viewing descr_sm_factions.txt I saw this line in Milan (genoa)

prefers_naval_invasions no

What does it mean? I saw it is Yes for Venice and other maritime countries, is this better to extend to Genoa too?
    Good catch, it should be yes. Although they really don't seem to mind naval invasion in my campaign They just can't stomach anyone else holding Corsica

Heh, in all my campaigns they always make a run for Corsica. :laughing:

I saw the objective for a short campaign include Florence, Venice and Constantinople, while other factions have Jerusalem.

I think it's more appropriate to have Jerusalem as target instead of it. Genoa only took weapons against Byzantium while they were a protectorate of Venice, in other times the two countries were close friends. The defense of the Byzantium capital city by Giovanni Giustiniani Longo against the turks is a famous one.

So I suggest putting Jerusalem as a target of Genoa instead of Constantinople, because genoese even made the first crusade with Embriaco managing to conquer the Holy City. (at least in Early Era campaign)

I saw the objective for a short campaign include Florence, Venice and Constantinople, while other factions have Jerusalem.

I think it's more appropriate to have Jerusalem as target instead of it. Genoa only took weapons against Byzantium while they were a protectorate of Venice, in other times the two countries were close friends. The defense of the Byzantium capital city by Giovanni Giustiniani Longo against the turks is a famous one.

So I suggest putting Jerusalem as a target of Genoa instead of Constantinople, because genoese even made the first crusade with Embriaco managing to conquer the Holy City. (at least in Early Era campaign)
    I am planning on creating new VC for 2.1. I want to get away from the take and hold 999 regions Instead I want have historic provinces to hold and use the outlast faction feature. Hopefully, we can get the AI to behave somewhat historically.

Default Re: The Genoese Faction Thread - Intros

I saw genoa lacks the two "campaign descriptions" so I wrote one for Late and one for Early. My english is not so good , so if you want to put them into game, check them for errors, i'm sure you will find some!

And of course, make all modifications you think it's better to make!

--------------- The Genoese (LATE) -------------------

A.D. 1311
    The city of Genoa, surrounded by mountains and sea, has developed large trade routes, since the golden era of the First Crusade in 1096-1099 A.D. After some tumults in town, the Republic is now lead by a Doge, a supreme leader, elected by the most noble genoese families.

The genoeses managed to put their influence in every sea port touched by their ships, establishing colonies in the Aegean Sea and in the Black Sea. Byzantium itself has been one of Genoa's most suitable merchantile partner, for a long time.

After gaining the naval superiority in the Tyrrhenian Sea, with the Battle of Meloria in 1284 against Pisa, the Republic must face its ancient enemies: the Venetians. Genoa did not succeed to defeat Venice neither on sea (with the Battle of Curzola) or land (with the War of Chioggia). The two Republics are in peace, but for sure, not for long.

However, the small Ligurian territory is menaced from other directions: from the north, the Imperial armies are attracted to obtain a so important commercial way towards the whole Mediterranean Sea; from the west and south, the Angevins, the Frenchmen or the Sicilians could consider a good idea to expand their influence in Italy; the Papacy has not forgotten the support of the Republic during tha past centuries, should the Genoese Doge mantain this relationshop, or change politics in the name of expansion? You should choose your alliances and enemies very wisely, if you want this tiny Republic to survive.

-------------------- The Genoese (EARLY) -------------------------
    A.D. 1080
    The Republic of Genoa has been freed from his dependancy to the Empire, a century ago. But now the Imperial forces demonstrated eagerly awaiting to catch a moment of weakness, and invade the Ligurian territory. Suffering from moorish raids, whose worst in 935 A.D., the maritime republic, lead by Consuls, has now begun to flourish. However, his rivalry with the tuscanian city of Pisa, and the Republic of Venice, would probably explode in a little time. Genoese have already the powerful backing of the Byzantine Empire, and they should not underestimate this allegiance.

But now, time is running out. European powers are emerging, the city should seek some new territories to expand itself, if it wishes to survive a possible attack from italian or stranger factions. The southern islands of Corsica and Sardinia, have drawn the Consuls' attention, while the Papacy could easily ask Genoa to join its Crusades, a chance for the Republic to estabilish new colonies, and conquer more power in Europe.

With its brand new fleet, and some able merchants, the Genoeses have to choose if expand themselves by land, or by sea, a choice which is crucial for the survivance of the Republic.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by |Lorre|; June 15, 2007 at 08:04 PM.

I did not check the text thoroughly (for finding spelling errors or suggesting more elegant expressions), but i can say, that i like the choice of individual topics in your description.

Still, i have three minor suggestions for the 1311-campaign description.

The genoeses managed to put their influence in every sea port touched by their ships, establishing colonies in the Egean Sea and in the Black Sea.
    1. Aegean Sea not Egean.

2. Tyrrhenian Sea not Tirrenian

3. I would mention their close connection with the city of Konstantinopolis. There was a comparatively big "foreign quarter" which was almost dominated by the Genoese and respresented their base of operations for the black sea trade. (as a side note: The greek alphabet knows no C. They use the letter Kappa for it=K. I can be a smartass, dont you think? )

Very nice suggestions!!! I agree with you, I will edit the descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Konstantin Alexander View Post
    I did not check the text thoroughly (for finding spelling errors or suggesting more elegant expressions), but i can say, that i like the choice of individual topics in your description.

Still, i have three minor suggestions for the 1311-campaign description.

1. Aegean Sea not Egean.

2. Tyrrhenian Sea not Tirrenian

3. I would mention their close connection with the city of Konstantinopolis. There was a comparatively big "foreign quarter" which was almost dominated by the Genoese and respresented their base of operations for the black sea trade. (as a side note: The greek alphabet knows no C. They use the letter Kappa for it=K. I can be a smartass, dont you think? )
    Here's a little more detail for you. The Genoese colony in Constantinople was called Galata, and the colonies in the Crimea were called Gazaria (ie. Khazaria).

I saw the region name in which there is the city of Genoa, is called Lombardy!!!
    It must be changed to "Liguria" to be more appropriate.

[EDIT]: I updated the two campaign descriptions.
    Last edited by |Lorre|; June 15, 2007 at 08:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast