Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rebellion in the East: A Bactrian AAR

Miles

Default Rebellion in the East: A Bactrian AAR

Intro

Bactria had long been the easternmost center of power of the Seleucid Empire. In 280 B.C., with the empire's forces stretched thin, Diodates of Bactria seized power in his own name, establishing the first dynasty of the Bactrian Kingdom, with the great city of Bactra as it's capital.

The Kingdom of Bactria during the early days of Diodates Reign.

Diodates was of hellenistic heritage, and found himself the ruler of a kingdom of Greeks, Persians, and Indians. It was a varied population, but it was this variety which would give Bactria it's great strength. Drawing on the best military ideas of both the Greeks and the Indians, Bactria had the potential to call up a formidable military force.

Diodates, King of Bactria

Unfortunately, Bactria at the beginning of Diodates' reign was something of a backwater. However, Diodates also saw the potential for great wealth, with his kingdom controlling the valuable trade routes which flourished between east and west. Bactria was also a land filled with many natural resources. Diodates knew he must access these resources if he was to stand up to any attempts by the Seleucids to bring Bactria back under the imperial fold.

Therefore, in the Spring of 280 B.C., Diodates set into motion many policies, both economic and military, which he hoped would ensure the survival of his kingdom for generations to come.

His first move was to disband unnecessary troops back into the population, thus freeing up much needed denarii for his plans to build the infrastructure that any kingdom needed to survive. Once the military reforms had taken place, he ordered the construction of low level mining facilities in the surrounding mountains, so that he might access the wealth of resources which up until now had been virtually untouched.

The Kingdom of Bactria at this time was split into two provinces. The province of Bactria, with it's capital at Bactra, would be governed by Diodates himself, while the second province, Paropamisadae, with it's political centre in the Indian city of Kophen, would be governed by his only son, Euthydemos of Bactria.

Euthydemos, Governor of Paropamisadae, and heir to the Bactrian Crown.

Bactria was surrounded by many potential enemies and allies. The Seleucid Empire bordered to the west, the Parthians were to the north, and several independent indian kingdoms lay to the east and south. Diodates knew all of these kingdoms and empires would have to be subdued, through either diplomatic or military means, if his kingdom was to survive for more than a generation.

It would be a hard road ahead, but Diodates knew the rewards would be great.

End of Intro

That's all I have up until now....I'll play more over the next few days, and hopefully chapter one won't be the end of the story (I've tried to play with Bactria before, but have always failed). I hope it doesn't suck.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Default Re: Rebellion in the East: A Bactrian AAR

very nice start of the AAR, hopefully it won't end with Diodates brought in chains before Antiochus

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Miles

Chapter 1: Into the East

By the Summer of 279, construction of the mining facilities had been completed throughout the Bactrian Kingdom, and their resources were beginning to be utilized for other building projects.

At this time, a Parthian diplomat visited to arrange a trade agreement with the fledgling Bactrian Kingdom. Diodates had heard much of these northerners, and was aware of their military capabilities (they were especially renowned for their fantastic horse archers, which Diodates would later copy, when he created the first Bactrian Horse Archer division, which would prove it's valour very shortly after being formed).

An agreement would be reached, but, Diodates was no fool, and he knew that trade rights with his kingdom were worth more to the Parthians than vice versa, so he demanded Map Information and 1000 denarii, which the Parthians reluctantly agreed to...

After this meeting, Diodates, being curious about the other lands around him, began training Diplomats, and, more importantly, a strong spy network which would keep him privied to what the Seleucids were up to in the west. Diodates appointed a nobleman, Pausanias, of Edessan Heritage, to head the Bactrian Spy Network in the west.

Pausanias of Edessa at the beginning of his tenure as Head of the Bactrian Spy Network

He appointed another man of noble birth known as Kleitarchos of Raphia, to head the Foreign Diplomacy Ministry.

Kleitarchos of Raphia, the Head of the Foreign Diplomacy Ministry

By the winter of 278, Euthydemos sent word to his father that a strong Hindu army had been milling about along the eastern frontier of the kingdom.

Diodates met with his military advisors, and, after much debate, ordered Euthydemos to raise one unit of Horse Archers, which he based on what he had heard of the Parthians famous horse archer wing, and invade Gandhara before the Gandharan Field Army had a chance to do the same to them

By Spring of 278, Diodates, with a growing spy network in the west keeping tabs on any possible Seleucid incursions, ordered the formation of the 1st Bactrian Army, which his son, Euthydemos would lead personally. About 3 weeks after being formed, the new army was ordered to cross the border into the independent Indian Kingdom of Gandhara.

This would be Euthydemos first military expedition into a foreign land, and he knew that the entire future of his father's realm would depend on the outcome of the upcoming battle.

The opposing forces met near a mountain pass which separated the Bactrian Province of Paropamisadae from the Kingdom of Gandhara. Future generations would consider the battle a mere skirmish, but to Euthydemos, it was his first chance for glory...

Euthydemos, being fairly new to military command, ordered his footsoldiers to form a battle line, while the new division of horse archers would take their place on the left flank, with his own personal bodyguard of heavy cavalry taking their place in the rear, to be held in reserve.

One thing Euthydemos noticed immediately was the enemy's complete lack of any sort of cavalry. He would use this to his advantage in the coming battle.

As soon as the enemy came into sight, Euthydemos could see that the Gandharan Field Army had occupied a small hill. He immediately ordered his division of horse archers to canter forward, and to the right, which would place them at a height advantage, allowing them to rain death upon the horseless Gandharan Army.

The battle was relatively uneventful from this point on, with Euthydemos scoring a clear victory. After the battle, a messenger arrived on horseback, and handed Euthydemos orders from his father to advance on the Gandharan Capital of Taxilia, where the ruler of the kingdom was presumed to be...

Scenes from the Battle of Gandhara, circa 278 B.C.

With his first victory under his belt, Euthydemos was honoured in absence in the capital city of Bactra. He had learned much from this battle which would prove helpful in the upcoming campaign.

While in Western Gandhara, Euthydemos recruited a hardy group of Indian Spearman from one of the villages which were now, for all intents and purposes, under Bactrian control. He learned that the capital city of Taxilia was only a seasons march to the east. It was a large city, with formidable stone walls. Surely, this would be the young General's greatest challenge yet.

End of Chapter One

A little long-winded, I know, but there was a lot of information I felt was necessary to the progression of the story...I hope it doesn't drag...

Thanks for your time, and stay tuned for Chapter 2 - The Storming of Taxilia (which will hopefully be shorter)
    Last edited by Bootsiuv; June 01, 2007 at 08:04 PM.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

this chapter is short, you should see my chapters. one of mine are 3 of yours!

check my aar:

in ROP- Rise of Persia AAR

Picture heavy, in fact, picture collosal! may take several minutes(10-15) to load,

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Kolyo View Post
    very nice start of the AAR, hopefully it won't end with Diodates brought in chains before Antiochus

A very common ending.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d View Post
    this chapter is short, you should see my chapters. one of mine are 3 of yours!

check my aar:

in ROP- Rise of Persia AAR

Picture heavy, in fact, picture collosal! may take several minutes(10-15) to load,
    I'll be sure to check it out. Maybe I'll have to write more in the upcoming chapters, I was just afraid people would get bored if it was too long.

as long as you balance it with pics you'll be fine.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

@ Bootsiuv - You have a chance to take the crown from Zarax for the first completed AAR with XGM. Just a small strategy suggestion - you seem to be on the defencive with the Seleucids, but usually this is problematic when you play with some of their neighbours. I used to play defencively with Parthia which costed me couple campaigns. Later Dimebagho advised me to be agressive and it works quite well. So i use my initial forces to get as many settlements as possible before trying to consolidate my realm. Merv and Prah? start without walls so it's easy to get them quickly and boost your economy...

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

LucretiusTC's Avatar Biarchus

Some time ago when I played a Seleucid campaign I had rather hard times in the East. The Parthians and the Bactrians (as the Seleucid Rebels) made an alliance and my poor Sparabara troops couldn´t do much to slow down the erosion of the Seleucid Empire in the East. My best available troops were mainly Levy Phalangites, Thureophoroi and Militia Cavalry. It was hard to fight against Parthians without Archers and Bactria had a unit of Indian Elephants.

Basically I compensated those losses in the East when I hit back in Syria and Asia Minor. So I made the Sardes-Antiokheia-Seleukeia axis as a lifeline of my Seleucid Empire and I was victorious against the Ptolemies and Pontus. After some military disasters at the southside of Caspian Sea I finally managed to beat both Parthians and Armenians near Ekbatana. On the bright side Pontus had even lost their capital, the Ptolemies were practically out of Asia and the Greek City States had been surprisingly loyal allies in the West even if I managed to conquer Halicarnossus early in the game.

If I decided to continue that Seleucid campaing, my next targets would be Armenia and the Parthians. My most eastern city at moment is Istarkh near the ancient Persian capital Persepolis and my troops have managed to hold on against the Seleucid Rebels. So it would take many years to get back in Merv or take care of Parthia and Bactria.

My newer campaign with Parthians has worked like a well-oiled machine comparing how much more I had to struggle with the Seleucids. In my Parthian campaign Bactria was my first victim. Probably the hardest battles against the Seleucids happened to the area that included cities like Zadracarta, Hecatompylos and Apameia. At the moment my Parthian Empire have three major armies in the West and the poor Seleucids have only relatively small garrison troops left in the cities like Antiokheia and Sidon.

I haven´t played Bactria, so I can´t help you with that, but usually it is necessary to play rather aggressively because you can´t really count on alliances or your neighbours goodwill in RTW....

Luc.

Miles

Thanks for the tips....after reading the above statements, I figured I would send a small army from Bactra, led by Diodates himself, into the Seleucid province of Aria. He was attacked by a force 3 times his size, and I scored a heroic victory, but for some reason.....Fraps stopped working, and I lost the Heroic Victory screenshot, and the stats from the battle (not to mention the Adoption of Diodates newest son, and the birth of Euthydemos first son), which is a little discouraging.

There is a historic battle site their now though, so perhaps a screenshot of the the little swords crossed will have to suffice....I'm working on chapter 2 today and tomorrow, so look for an update by tomorrow evening.
    Last edited by Bootsiuv; June 02, 2007 at 05:18 PM.

Primicerius

Yay, an XGM AAR!! Great job, you've persuaded me to start a new Bactrian campaign.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Scutarii View Post
    Yay, an XGM AAR!! Great job, you've persuaded me to start a new Bactrian campaign.
    I'm glad you like it....why not take it one step further, and do a Bactrian AAR of your own, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in seeing more XGM AAR's (which is basically why I started mine).

Miles

I was going to write chapter 2 now, but, it's 2:43 a.m. here, and I enjoyed a few brewskis this evening, so maybe I'll wait until I have a clear head....but the pics are all converted and uploaded, so it should be done shortly after I wake up. My whole intention with writing this AAR was to inspire others to do the same....A greek city AAR would be sweet, as would a Ptolemaic AAR....so come on people, YOU CAN DO IT.

I tried a Gaul one last night... was owned by rome, germany, and Iberia, and they all were allied against me...

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

You know, if you press "Print Screen" (Prt Scr) on your keyboard, it will save a TGA in your RTW\tgs\ folder.
    I also think there's a way to change the format is saves with, i'll take a closer look at it later, somewhere in the preferences.

Miles

I was aware of the print screen option, but it won't work if you have anti-aliasing on, if I'm not mistaken, and I like to run with at least low anti-aliasing, to take away the jagged edges. I'm not 100% sure though, so, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Works fine IMO, make sure you don't hold the button down for too long or you'll get black-screen screenshots, a mere moment will do.

Miles

Chapter 2: The Siege of Taxila; Turmoil in the West

As the decade progressed, Diodates found himself facing many challenges.

In the summer of 277 B.C., with the acquisition of the Kingdom of Gandhara into the bactrian realm, the Kingdom crossed the threshold into empire. Thousands of foreigners now owed allegiance to King Diodates (who, being a rather discreet man, refused to take the title Emperor), and this would test the resources of the newly named "Bactrian Empire" to the limits.

The battle for the capital city of Gandhara, Taxila, was considered a great success, with loyal Indian Levies from western Gandhara taking the brunt of the casualties.

Euthydemos besieges Taxila circa. 277 B.C.

Scenes from the Battle of Taxila:

Though Euthydemos wasn't a particularly evil man, he knew his soldiers were eager for material rewards after enduring the hardships of the previous campaigning season. Thus, Euthydemos let his troops loot and pillage the great capital city for what riches were there. It was reported that nearly 2500 Indians were put to the sword, and ~2000 denarii were gained for the national treasury.

With the fall of Taxila, the entire Kingdom of Gandhara was annexed into the empire, becoming the third Bactrian Province of Gandhara. Euthydemos knew enough to allow the locals to keep their gods, and much of the local customs and laws were left intact. This would allow Euthydemos to leave a small garrison of loyal Indian spearman in charge, and return to the heartland of the empire to help in the war with Bactria's real enemy, the Seleucid Empire.

Meanwhile, in the capital city of Bactra, Diodates was drawing up plans for the invasion of the Seleucid's easternmost province of Aria. He set out with a small force in the summer of 276, with the intention of laying siege to the provincial capital of Phra. However, before he could reach the city, he was attacked by a sizable Seleucid force in northern Aria. Diodates forces were outnumbered nearly 3 to 1. Diodates was unimpressed, however, seeing that the Seleucid force was made up of mostly light infantry and peltasts. Surely, his cavalry heavy army would have no problem dealing with these fools...

As the battle commenced, a great sandstorm raged, as if the gods themselves were present to witness Diodates Victory (OOC: Unfortunately, I lost the statistics for the battles end, but I'll just say that I killed the entire force, and Diodates suffered ~50 casualties; A Heroic Victory was won).

The Composition of Captain Amythaion's forces

The Battle of Aria circa 276 B.C.

(OOC: Many, many screenshots were lost due to a FRAPS malfunction[the first time that's ever happened; generally a very good program], so I guess you'll have to take my word for it)

Following the battle, Diodates recieved word that the citizens were rioting due to overtaxation, and Seleucid loyalists stirring up trouble, so, Diodates abandoned his campaign in Aria to return to Bactra and restore order.

Upon his arrival in the capital, Diodates learned that one loyal garrison commander, with a background in engineering, had helped to keep the populace in control. Diodates was so impressed by this young captain, that he offered to adopt the young man into the royal family....

A young captain new to the royal family....Diodates knew he had the potential to be a great man indeed...

In that same year, Euthydemos and his wife were blessed with a son, whom they named Marsais. Diodates was so proud of his new grandson, he held a celebration which lasted three days and nights, in which the infant was the guest of honour...

In the following spring, Diodates again departed from the capital, with a force of ~300 men, and again invaded the province of Aria. This time, no Seleucid force would meet him in the wilderness, and he was able to lay siege to the large Seleucid town of Phra.

The Garrison, led by a young Seleucid Captain by the name of Aristoteles, sallied out to meet the great Bactrian King...

The garrison, while significantly larger than Diodates' force, was of much lesser quality. Diodates would slaughter the garrison to a man, leaving the city of Phra in Bactrian control, and the fourth bactrian province of Aria was quickly annexed into the empire....

Scenes from the Battle of Phra circa 275 B.C.

The young Seleucid captain would lay down his life doing his duty...

Diodates was so impressed by the young Seleucid captiain's courage, he ordered his body recovered and gave the young man a grand state funeral in Phra following the battle...

The years of 277 - 275 had been good to the royal family, and the outlook for the new Bactrian Empire was promising....

The Bactrian Empire circa. 275 B.C.

End of Chapter 2

Wow, that was a lot of work for such a small chapter....I hope you guys like it, and stay tuned for Chapter 3: The War in the West Rages On
    where the young Euthydemos will again have to prove his valour as he invades the Seleucid province of Drangians.

Thanks for your time.

he he alot of work? In mine i've annexed half an empire in one chapter!

Miles

Playing the game was the easy part, it only took me 40 minutes of playtime....I meant writing the post and adding all of the pics, that took about 1.5 hours. But, it was fun....so I don't mind.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast