Thread: Are port blockades pointless in SS?

Default Are port blockades pointless in SS?

This may or may not be a dumb question

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that in SS the AI factions are given like 15 or 17k florins every turn to compensate for their relative stupidity. So does blockading ports and besieging cities have any effect on that amount of money they're given? Or is it just a waste of time to blockade ports except for the purpose of preventing enemy navies from sailing out.

Default Re: Are port blockades pointless in SS?

Yes, it does, you are blocking their trade route, which will greatly reduce their income, especially in a valuable city such as Venice, Bologna, Rome or Constantinople. The thing is, SS is trying to make campaign AI harder, so i'm sure the AI are receiving extra amount of money each turn. Actually you can see it by using ~, then press up button on keyboard twice, you ll see something like add_money egypt, 4000
    That's why it looks like their money source is just endless

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Well I know that it will kill the trade income, but if the faction is getting 15k on top of their 'natural' income, then wouldn't the damage done by blockading a few ports would be minimal? Seems like this feature of the game is effectively killed.

SS only adds money to the AI via the console command if the faction has less than 30k in their bank, which isn't that much anyway. I can knock out 15k in building costs easy.

Hellmut34's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoner View Post
    SS only adds money to the AI via the console command if the faction has less than 30k in their bank, which isn't that much anyway. I can knock out 15k in building costs easy.
    15K blimey!
    Im lucky to have more than 7K each turn

A little maiming never hurt anybody

lol, after i took over italy, i gain 20k profit each trurn, sometimes 30 if i don't build, OWNAGE

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Quote Originally Posted by redalibi View Post
    This may or may not be a dumb question

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that in SS the AI factions are given like 15 or 17k florins every turn to compensate for their relative stupidity. So does blockading ports and besieging cities have any effect on that amount of money they're given? Or is it just a waste of time to blockade ports except for the purpose of preventing enemy navies from sailing out.
    Hi redalibi,

Well the AI gets between 3500 and 5000 additional florins every turn.
    I don't think that this is too much, since the AI can never build up a good economy like the human player...
    However, I think blockading ports still has some affect, because it can reduce the money of a settlement seriously...

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Well if it's only 3500-5000 that isn't bad. I thought I read somewhere that it was like 15k. Thanks for clearing it up.

Here is part of the actual script.

monitor_event FactionTurnStart not FactionIsLocal
    and FactionType england
    and Treasury < 30000
    console_command add_money england, 5100
    end_monitor

and FactionType france
    and Treasury < 30000
    console_command add_money france, 5100
    end_monitor

and FactionType hre
    and Treasury < 30000
    console_command add_money hre, 3800
    end_monitor

and FactionType spain
    and Treasury < 30000
    console_command add_money spain, 5100
    end_monitor

Just because they are given money doesn't mean that they don't also earn in from the regular sources. So yes, blockades do hurt them.