Thread: Bugs in Mitteleuropa mod

loet66's Avatar Senator

Default Bugs in Mitteleuropa mod

Hi,

I have finally installed this mod successfully on a fresh copy of MTWII.

I've used the setup.exe to install the mod and I've start it with the shorcut using switch mod.

I've tested it with 2 custom battles (choose Bohemia faction to see the units) : the are worked very well and seemed to me more "dynamic".

The new music is great.

But in campaign, with Bohemia faction, I have a persistent CTD when I click on my army near my capital, on the strategic map.

I'm using a no-cd patch but I don't think that is the cause of CTD.
    My OS is vista 32 and my game is in french version, patched with the official patch 1.02.

Sinuhet's Avatar Preparing for death

Default Re: Bugs in Mitteleuropa_1.0

Quote Originally Posted by loet66 View Post
    Hi,

I have finally installed this mod successfully on a fresh copy of MTWII.

I've used the setup.exe to install the mod and I've start it with the shorcut using switch mod.

I've tested it with 2 custom battles (choose Bohemia faction to see the units) : the are worked very well and seemed to me more "dynamic".

The new music is great.

But in campaign, with Bohemia faction, I have a persistent CTD when I click on my army near my capital, on the strategic map.

I'm using a no-cd patch but I don't think that is the cause of CTD.
    My OS is vista 32 and my game is in french version, patched with the official patch 1.02.
    Hi loet66!

Thank you for your persistent feed-back. The causes of CTD could be various.

Firstly, I dont think the no-cd patch is the cause, similarly like you do. Nevertheless, I have tested it with normal medieval2.exe, patched with pre-1.2 leaked patch, english version of the full game adn the patch. So, theoretically, the cause of the crash in this situation could be the pre-1.2 version of my patch. I will test it today with clean install with official 1.2 patch.

Secondly, I am not quite sure if you obtain the CTD after just clicking on the army in the start position of the Bohemian campaign or, in contrast, after several turns after clicking on the newly created army with newly hired units and some new captain with newly used name. The former situation I have tested with my settings many times and have not got any CTD. So, if the latter is true, what is the name of the captain and/or what is the composition of the army as for the types of units? Do you obtain the CTD again and again in the same situation or, alternativelly, in various "similar situations, but always just after clicking on the army?

Thirdly. I didnt grasp exactly if you are using the files in roootMTW2/data subfolders (banners and the campaign characters) in correct manner. You state you were able to instal it " and start it with the shortcut using switch mod". This could be theoretically the problem. You need some of these files in root/data folder (not in Bohemia/data folder) for campaign characters. It doesnt matter in this context if you use the --file_first switch instead of the MedBattleSelector of installing these files and/or if you are using the included bat file, exe file created from bat file or your own shortcut. You nedd, however, to use these files. Some marker if you have installed it correctly sholud be the banners, which are see in the campaign, Are all of them for Bohemian faction the white lions on the red background ??? If they are, you have installed it correctly, however if they are not, plese, try some alternative method of installation these files (for example, very easy sholud be to add the "--file_first" switch in the end of the command in the Bohemia.bat file. See also, eventually the respective tutorials here in TWC forum how to use this switch exactly.

Please, if you would be so kind to give me more detailed information in this direction, I will try to isolate the eventual hidden bug quickly.

Thanks for the answer in advance, bye Sinuhet
    My TW games "Battle Formations" projects:
    Sinuhet's ETW Formations v2.0 – for ETW
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v5.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v3.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's AI Battle Formations v7.0 – for RTW 1.5

In Patrocinivm Svb HorseArcher

loet66's Avatar Senator

Hi Sinuhet,

Thanks for your comments.

I have reinstalled the mod with the windows installer (on a fresh copy of MTWII) and I launch it with the shortcut "bohemian.bat".

I have a persistant CTD when I click on the bohemian faction leader (faction that I've choosen for the campaign) on the strategic map.

I think the mod is correctly installed : custom battles works, I have the new music in the menu and the symbol of bohemian faction is correctly red.

The mod is in a sub folder of MTW II called "Mitteleuropa", is not in the data folder : right ?

I think the problem is an incompatibility with the official patch 1.2.

Perhaps I don't understood how to install this mod : I'm so sorry but I'm french and I don't speak english very well.

I'm waiting the results of your tests with the official patch 1.2.

I don't understand why this topic seems don't interest the community.

I'm a fan of your fantastic work on RTW-BI.

loet66's Avatar Senator

I've forgotten to tell you : I obtain the CTD at the beginning of the campaign (first turn, first click on the unit).

loet66's Avatar Senator

Hi Sinuhet,

I tell you a have a ctd when I click on my bohemian leader on the campaign map. Maybe the cause is my french version. Look the topic of "The Long Road" : Torrnight have a solution for his mod adapted to non english version :

May 29, 2007, 01:56 PM / CTD when clicking units on the Campaign map?

tornnight has written :

"Turns out for Non English versions of MTW2, you need to do this.

Copy the complete sound folder
    ***from***
    \Medieval II Total War\Data\Sounds
    ***to***
    \Medieval II Total War\The_Long_Road\Data\Sounds

Let me know if this works. "

and the answer :

mars394 has written :

"Ok, that's work, no more crash

But now, all the voices are not in places.

For example, french princess speak with italian accent, french troops with HRE accent, scottish priest with arab accent ....

on the battlefield, all troops got the italian accent.

I got a french version of M2TW."

It seems to be the same problem of mine but, unfortunaly, I don' t test it yet.

Hi loet66!

Sorry for my late reaction, I was very tired from my job yesterday to be able to do things related to TWC. However, I have done before 2 days the tests as for 1.002.0001 version of he MTW2 English version. Here is my report of the step-by-step testing approach:

I uninstalled the version 1.002.0000 (=the MTW2 with leaked pre-1.2 patch), in every case, it is not possible to install the official 1.2 patch on top of it. So, I started with clean installation of the whole MTW2 (i.e version 1.000.0000). I patched it with the official 1.2 patch (miitw_update2_efigs_rc_final.exe) then. So, I obtained the quite clean 1.002.0001 in English mutation. Then installation of the Mitteleuropa_v_1_0.rar uncompressed file, via Setup.exe (not directly the MSI pack via right mouse click, but it should not do any matter). Everything OK. Than I have used my prefered way of root/data files usage via clicking on the MedBattleSelector.exe (necessary a relatively long waiting, till the both buttons "Reapply" and "Undo" are from gray colour of letters to the black), then exit this program. Then I have started the whole mod via the Bohemia.bat file. After this kind of installation everything worked good. After starting the new Boheia campaign the army of the Leader of Bohemia faction (King Vratislav) was clickable without any CTD. I was able to disperse all EasternSpearmen units from this army and from both Bohemian cities as standalone armies with captains, and all this in the first turn (1080 year), and also in later years (1082 winter), and then merge them in another turn (year 1083 summer). Here are the respective screenshots.

Vratislav 1082 winter:

Vratislav 1083 summer:

So, taking together your reports and this my test, I would sum it as follows:

1. In english version of the MTW2 with official patch 1.2, everything should be OK. There is no incompatiblity of this mod with official 1.2 patch per se. Till the time anybody else with English version will give the independent report of the compatibility of his MTW2 patched with official 1.2, I cannot state oficially, that there is full compatibility in every case, but it is highly probable.

2. Your installation of the Mitteleuropa mod appears to be flawless as for installation the right files to the right places. However, there could be incompatibility of the french Medieval2.exe version 1.002.0001 with this mod and/or the "french" sounds files from the clean MTW2 1.2 installation with the "english" sounds files from this mod (either Music files in root data folder or Events + Audio files in the Bohemia data folder, or in both). Till the time anybody else give to us an independent report of this kind of incompatibility with french (or generally, any foreign (=non-english) language mutation) version of MTW2 1.2, we cannot state officially that it is the cause of your CTDs, but again, it is highly probable. In every case, this will be serious problem, because testing officially the another language mutations of Medieval2.exe and/or sounds files is legally border-line issue, and in the case of the huge sounds files logistically very inconvenient thing. The best solution in this situation appears to me to ask CA customer support (i.e. some guy from CA frequenting this forum from time to time), what is the status of the mutual compatibility of the files from more than one language mutations. Everybody with French version can do simply one thing, however. To try to replace his "french" medieval2.exe file with the "english" one from uncompressed official 1.2 patch. However, I have a suspicion that it is not a solution. Maybe more "advanced" approach would be to try replace the localised.pack file also, but this is starting to be the above-mentioned-pain as for legal issues. However, this file is relatively small fortunatelly as for logistic. Nevertheless, in every case it is not a solution for having french MTW2 with this mod, the result would be to have french MTW2 bastarded with english files. If this all the valid cae, I am sorry, but this is not my error such incompatibility of this mod with French (and generally any foreign language) mutation of MTW2, but more the inflexibility the product developed by CA and released by SEGA. I dont state that this a bug, but it is an issue which doesnt do the modders life easy as officially claimed by them.

3. It is very low probable, that your CTDs are caused by my error in coding this mod, because then the CTD could be reproducible in my English mutation of the game also. So, this CTD dont appear to be an issue of some bad names, units etc., as I have firstly also suspected.

Btw, your English is very good for me with my Czenglish, I understand everything you are saying, but maybe some guy behind the Channel is not understanding to both of us .

Thank you for your interest and time devoted to testing and reporting. I will give you credits for this for-me-valueable feed-back. Have a nice day, Sinuhet
    Last edited by Sinuhet; June 02, 2007 at 04:36 AM. Reason: added screenshots

loet66's Avatar Senator

Icon13 Re: Bugs in Mitteleuropa_1.0

Hi Sinuhet,

In some days (3 or 4), I'll have an english version of MTW II.

So, I hope my problems will be resolved by this way.

I don't test it before because I'm tired to have CTD in my favourite game (sorry for the delay).

It's a pleasure to talk with you.

Have a good day.

Hm. This CTD seems to happen whether or not you have the english version. As far as I know this has something to do with starting to mod on 1.0 or 1.1 sound files and then trying to implement them in version 1.2. In this case, copying the original sound files to data/sound in the mod-folder always helped (for me, at least).
    Sorry to interrupt your dialog .

BTW: I unterstood everything you wrote, but I'm not good at english too .

EDIT: And: I've read that NO-CD-cracks DO cause problems over at the Regions&Provinces Mod-Forum.

loet66's Avatar Senator

Hi Dimitri,

It's not only a dialogue between Sinuhet and me.
    I hope this mod interest the community and the others modders too.

I'm highly interested in this mod - mainly because I'm implementing bohemia in my mod, too.

Have you tried what I suggested? Copied the original sound files to your mod folder and removed the no-cd-crack?

loet66's Avatar Senator

Hi Dimitri,
    Hi Sinuhet,

I recently install this mod in a fresh english version of MTW II, updated with the official patch 1.2. However, I used a no cd crack because I'm sure it's not the cause of CTD and ...It works !!

I have the symbol of Milan faction and my bohemia's unit are green in battles (campaign and custom).
    That's the only problem I've met after 5 turns. Maybe my install is not perfect (I don't understand very well the "method" of Sinuhet).

Personally, I don't like the textures of the used big map : I prefer those of DLV 3.1 (the colors are an imitation of the RTW's map).

Hey loet66!

Fine it finally worked. I think I will have to tell sb2ean that no-cd-cracks don't cause CTDs.

Hi loet66, hi Dimitri!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the installation and the undesired features related to the sound files. Soory for my pause in reaction again, I was very busy this week in my real life. Nevertheless, after reading this thread and few similar ones related to sound files I wolud suggest one thing for any player with non-english MTW2 platform generally (and not only for Mitteleuropa mod):

IF you have in the installation of the mod, which is causing CTDs after clicking on the "foreign" generals (or similar sound events issues), included sound text files and in the mods sounds subfolder are the events.dat, events.idx, audio.dat and audio.idx files included, THEN erase all these four files from the mod sounds subfolder and let the game to generate the new ones, which should be appropriate for language of your MTW2 platform.

Any other solutions are inferior. All these is my theory only, I didnt tested it on the non-english platfor, and I have not some report on this solution till yet. But after summing all the available evidence, I aassume that it is highly probable that this is the right solution for the "mysterious bugs" in sounds for some MTW2 users but not others, which are persistently discussed in all mods modding sounds.

I dont think that he main cause of CTDs is some incompatiblity of the sound text files released by Caliban with MTW2 platform genrally. I think rather that there is very frequent situation that modders are genrating the sound files on some platform A, and that all users with plafroms non-A are obtaining CTDs. Then they erase the files from sounds subfoledr of the respective mod, but because the game have not included the sound text files used for the generation of the "events" sound files respective for mod, it is not able to genrate them for the non-A platforms. The users are doing improvisations then, with copying the sound files from root MTW2/data/sounds subfolder, but this is cousing the undesired results of "mixed" files from vanilla and the mod. It is true that they are happy, that they not abtain CTD at least ....

Due to introduction of Bohemia faction specific music in battles, I have let the all Mitteleuropa-specific sound text files in the mod sounds subfolder. (for music generation they must be in root subfolder in 1.1, where I ahve used the for nw Music.dat and Music.idx files genration, I dont know exactly what is needed for MTW, the reports from community are in this mixed, I didnt tried it myself). But I ahve used them for generation the mod-specific events and audio files several times during development and they resided in the mod subfolder already !!!!!

I wolud be very grateful to a man, which would give me report of such a test with this my mod. If this my teory is true, then I will suggest this simple way (erase them and let the game to generate them for their language platform) to all potential non-english users, mainly the Czech ones, which would have the largest benefit from the new music and the Bohemia faction generally ....

Bye Sinuhet

-------------

btw, loet66, check if you have at least 1.8 GB free space on the partition of your hard disc with MTW2 installed, and then try to click on the MedBattleSelector.exe file, and then go away for 10 minutes from your comp, and then only close the window of the MedBattleSelector Program. The Bohemia specific banners and campaign charactes sholud be there then without any pain. It is 100% save-game compatible, to do it. And you will have the installation as it was origainlly thought by me, only this last step ....

--------------

wow - that was quite detailed!

Thanks!

I am now finishing the testing of the patch 1.1 for Mitteleuropa mod. I apologise to all users who downloaded this mod and have the problems with CTDs after relaoding the saved games. I have tested this mod in MTW2 1.1 thoroughly via "control" command (all factions put under the AI control) and this type of CTDs was hidden for me by this way of testing unfortunatelly. So, take the version 1.0 of Mitteleuropa as beta version. I can spent time with MTW2 modding only in some days right now, nevertheless, I have directed my attention on the cleaning all the files from hidden critical bugs, mainly descr_strat.txt file, which was based on the one from Anno Domini mod. Nothing bad, but the bugs originating from this mod were causing this strange behavour after reloading saved games. It was a hell to isolate all these bugs, it is almost impossible to do it only "manually", so I have used several tools (very helpful was BrandonM RTW tool, btw) and ways of tracing the bugs and hopefully all are corrected now. After thorough testing with repeated relaoding saved games I am in a point now to hope all bugs was hunted already. I am testing the corrected campign AI now, so the new version of mitteleuropa mod (the 1.1 patch) will be relelased in public in few days. You can wait on the still more original campaign AI as for foreign diplomacy, and also all critical files were "face-lifted" with implementation of the MTW2 1.2 patch changes. As a bonus I have reformated and debugged all vanilla xml files also ..... So the main aim of my mod - maximal stability should be achieved with patch 1.1 in the end. Sorry again for inconveniences with the "saved games" bug - I didnt know about it in time of uploading ...
    Last edited by Sinuhet; June 27, 2007 at 06:07 AM.

Hi loet66!

I have moved your two posts into the Feadback thread, because they were related to the suggestions on the features of the mod than to the real bugs. This thread is meant for reporting the bugs only ... Thank you