Thread: Adding accents to custom factions

Default Adding accents to custom factions

If I have custom factions, such as those featured in DLV, how can I add your languages to factions that are custom? Also, is it possible to make such custom units simply say "infantry" or some such when clicked on?

Finally, What is a better language for flanders, german or french? I assume German because they speak a form of low German, but I'm unaware of french influence

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Default Re: Adding accents to custom factions

I don't know about flanders, I'm not a historian.

As for adding units and factions, I'm working on a tutorial, but it's not finished. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79282

Since I'm interested in doing this myself, I intend to experiment with this, but I don't have time right now. I'll try it in 2 weeks or so. For now, look here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99029 They seem to have added new factions, but it doesn't appear to work for everyone, unfortunately.

Anyway, if you look closely enough (and especially if you use the tutorial), I'm sure you'll figure these things out, since modding sound is a lot easier than modding other things in the game. I figured it all out by myself (well, almost), so I'm sure you can, too.
    Last edited by Beiss; May 31, 2007 at 08:58 AM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Quantumf8 View Post
    If I have custom factions, such as those featured in DLV, how can I add your languages to factions that are custom?
    Ok let's go... as I did it

For the voices:

Open
    descr_sounds_accents.txt

Add your faction in the accent list you wish to see this faction using accent.
    Exemple I take from my modifications, I added Burgundis and gave them the french accent (they are spelled here "Bourgogne" cause this is the french name for this faction )
    So my change is:
    Code:
    accent French
        factions france, bourgogne
    Now, to add the musics in the campaign map for a custom faction

Open
    Medieval Total war\YOUR MOD PATH\data\world\maps\base\descr_sounds_music_types.txt

Add the name of your custom faction in the list you wish this faction taking part.
    I take the same exemple as above, I added Burgundis to the pool of the French (northern eruopeans) musics
    So my changes are:

Code:
    	factions england normans denmark scotland hre saxons france bourgogne

Also, is it possible to make such custom units simply say "infantry" or some such when clicked on?
    Here, I also did that.. I ahev already detailled the how to do that in the mod workshop, I will do it again here :p

Open:
    export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt

you will see these lines in this file:
    Code:
             accent English
                      class General
    Here you know that the files in this section are for the English accent and concern the General units.
    So if you want to add a voice for a cutom unit part of the Germans and that is light infantry find the accent section, here "accent German", and after the section "class Light"
    Then after you must add an entry....
    An exemple... I added the voices for my unit Dismounted Teutonic knights in the exemple below. for that I added this section:
    Code:
                                        unit Dismounted Teutonic Knights
                                        event
                                                 folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Battle_Map
                                                      German_Heavy_Generic_Heavy_Infantry_1.wav
                                                      German_Heavy_Generic_Heavy_Infantry_2.wav
                                        end
    Finally, What is a better language for flanders, german or french? I assume German because they speak a form of low German, but I'm unaware of french influence
    I would think German, but... I am not from this part of the world
    Last edited by Ralendil; May 31, 2007 at 06:40 PM.
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Current Mod for S2TW: Sengoku Unit Cards

O.o woah, I'll have to try that, thanks ralendil! thanks a lot! this will make DLV more fun having them speak something that sounds like their language! Ukrainian and russian, not that big of a difference, same for dutch and german =P atleast that's how it sounds mind you, to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantumf8 View Post
    O.o woah, I'll have to try that, thanks ralendil! thanks a lot! this will make DLV more fun having them speak something that sounds like their language! Ukrainian and russian, not that big of a difference, same for dutch and german =P atleast that's how it sounds mind you, to my ears.
    Tbh, there's a risk it makes the mod really huge...

it takes a lot of space to do that
    1.77 Gb for my sound files :p, if we don't count musics and SFX (I had to add several SFX for new mounts), it is yet 1.30 Gb... but I added the Xenophia files (surprising if I post in this section, isn't it? ^^)

Maybe you could add the txt files and the instructions for the guys that want to do it?
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

I will add this, I just haven't had the time yet. I didn't know you had to add factions to descr_sounds_music_types.txt though, that's news for me. Thanks! This was very helpful and you saved me a lot of time, too. +rep, Ral.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss View Post
    I will add this, I just haven't had the time yet. I didn't know you had to add factions to descr_sounds_music_types.txt though, that's news for me. Thanks! This was very helpful and you saved me a lot of time, too. +rep, Ral.
    that's not an obligation, but if you don't do it for a faction you added, then you have no music on the strat map.
    Jean Rostand

Then it is an obligation. Of course you want to have music on the strat map.