Thread: Converting map from RTW to M2TW

Default Converting map from RTW to M2TW

Hi!

I'm trying to get a map from RTW working in M2TW, but only get crashes. It would be great if somebody could give me a hint what's wrong.

I took the map folder from the RTW, stripped it from all unnecassary files and added the one M2TW needs, map_fog.tga. By comparing it to the imperial_campaign and the blank map Alpaca posted once, there are no differences.

Then I took the blank map from Alpaca as a base because there's only one region so I could test if the terrain etc. is working. I edited the map_regions.tga so that there's only one region with it's town that stretches over all of the map.

Unfortunately the map doesn't load up in different setups. I've set it up as Imperial Campaign and Custom Campaign, but there is no difference. After clicking to start the campaign it crashes. A map.rwm file is generated, but doesn't work the next time I try to load the map.

I can't find any significant information in the log-file. It shows that everything is loaded, the first triggers for the king and the heir are fired and then there's suddenly:

Code:
    [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    So I'm guessing that there is a difference in the map files of RTW and M2TW. Or could the graphic program - I'm using Paint Shop Pro 7 - alter something in the files that you don't see?

Default Re: Converting map from RTW to M2TW

Doesn't anyone has an idea how to solve the problem?

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: Converting map from RTW to M2TW

There's no real difference in the map other than the one TGA you added. If it generated the rwm that generally means the actual map is Ok. However after that it depends what else you've added/done to the various text files.