Thread: ruling provinces without peace

Default ruling provinces without peace

I'm playing as Venice and I attacked spain in the year 1692. Spain held most of northern Italy, southern Italy, and Sicily. After 10 years of fighting I'm occupying all of those provinces. When I try to make a peace settlement It says that I have a 99% victory. But when I demand anything other than a white peace, spain declines. What can I do? can I just not make peace and eventually rule the occupied territories? or generally what will happen if I don't make a peace settlement?

this is the third war with spain ( the first two spain started) and in all the previous wars I got my ass kicked( I use to own most of northern Italy), I just refuse to go away from this one without gaining anything.

Default Re: ruling provinces without peace

Quote Originally Posted by the Eternal Cocoon View Post
    I'm playing as Venice and I attacked spain in the year 1692. Spain held most of northern Italy, southern Italy, and Sicily. After 10 years of fighting I'm occupying all of those provinces. When I try to make a peace settlement It says that I have a 99% victory. But when I demand anything other than a white peace, spain declines. What can I do? can I just not make peace and eventually rule the occupied territories? or generally what will happen if I don't make a peace settlement?

this is the third war with spain ( the first two spain started) and in all the previous wars I got my ass kicked( I use to own most of northern Italy), I just refuse to go away from this one without gaining anything.
    If you don't make peace, I think they still won't ever become your provinces. How many times have you tried to get a peace deal with Spain? perhaps try a few times, 4 or 5? if you haven't. Spain will get -1 stability every time they decline the peace deal, as long as your demands are lower than the victory score. If they still don't accept, maybe try to kill all their armies and take all their provinces, until you get 100% victory score, then try again to get a peace deal.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

It is hard to make peace with countries that are as large as spain. You're really going to have to take a chunk of their actual iberian provinces in order to get them to listen to your demands. It says 99% but those provinces are still only a smallish chunk compared to what else they have.

well I've taken the Spanish Netherlands and all of Spanish Iberia, and spain still refuses anything but a white peace.

All that spain has left is her empire in Africa and America, which I cant get to.
    Last edited by the Eternal Cocoon; May 29, 2007 at 12:06 AM.

How much are you asking for? not even single provinces?

I was asking for southern italy ( those three measly provinces), and spain always refused ( its value is 90%, compared to the 99% victory I scored). I think that ,considering that I control all of spain's core provinces, I deserve all of Italy, Sicily and the Netherlands but that dosent seem to be going anywhere ( its proposal is something like 400%).

The thing that worries me however is that spain not only refuses my proposals, but proposes a white peace herself, which usually means that spain thinks that we are on equal footing in the war...

edit: that picture dosent really show the extent of spains overseas empire, she controls all of south America, most of north america, most of northern africa and parts of southern africa, and large spots of asia- something near 1/2 of the earth.
    Last edited by the Eternal Cocoon; May 29, 2007 at 12:18 AM.

Yeah, I think the controlling half the planet bit is playing into their decision there...

Try for 50-60 (maybe 70) percent offers. 90 is generally pushing it unless you have 100 percent victory.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

i heard of a turbo annexing thing, take every province bar one and then spam that one with spies inciting revolt and infiltrating spy ring or something until it rebels. when the government of the country doesnt control as much as rebels do it automatically signs a truce with everyone and they lose all their provinces - that means the ones uve conquered all become yours

If you leave it for a few years as a stalemate (presumably Spain aren't attacking now that you've taken all their European land) they're war fatigue should start to build up (especially if they're refusing your <90% demands) and they'll begin to offer you more fair peace deals.

I had the same problem against Morocco as Castille, but after a few years of a complete stalemate they and Morocco refusing my peace offers, they offered a new deal which included two Iberian provinces +cash.

actually around 10 years of no fighting have gone by and nothing...

That game was near the end (1712) so I decided to just start a new game as Denmark from the beginning ( the Venice game was started from 1618)